PDA

View Full Version : Exciting Developments at Xavier Bonaire

Avalon University School of Medicine
05-06-2010, 03:55 PM
As part of our continuing effort to improve the education provided at Xavier University School of Medicine, Bonaire, we would like to share with you some exciting developments. Effective with the September 2010 semester, the school will be relocating to the island of Curacao. Due to political constraints and limited resources for the development and building of the campus on the island of Bonaire, we are not able to develop and expand. With the relocation, many of these barriers will be removed.

In addition, we have always planned to change the name of the University, to set ourselves apart from any other “Xavier University”. With the impending move approaching, we feel that the timing is right for this transition. We will be changing our name to Avalon University School of Medicine (AUSOM). The timing of the name change will depend on the recognition and certification with WHO & ECFMG. Until then, the name of Xavier University School of Medicine will stand, even in Curacao.

This is a great opportunity to expand and develop, and will feature a more modernized campus, as well as on site living accommodations. The new facilities are larger, and will allow students better learning opportunities. Students will benefit from a more developed island, with more amenities similar to those in the USA and Canada. Direct flights into Curacao from the USA are more frequent. Also, the living expenses in Curacao are more economical for students.

We can assure you that this is solely a geographical move and a change in name only. This will be an opportunity to expand. The current Deans and University administration will remain intact during this transition. Students can be assured that all coursework completed and credits earned will remain intact.

In order for this transition to be successful, communication with the students and the administration will be critical. The faculty and administration want to assure you that we will be readily available to assist you throughout this transition period. We continue to maintain a high standard of excellence and continue to make improvements to serve the needs of our valuable students.

Should you have any questions and/or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact any of our team of administrators.

canadianchic
05-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Does this have anything to do with the Netherlands becoming more strict with the med schools on Bonaire?

jumpman2323
05-08-2010, 04:31 AM
As of today Bonaire and Curaçao are two islands in one country called the The Netherlands Antilles. However, on October 10, 2010 the Netherlands Antilles is scheduled to cease to exist. Bonaire will become a fully integrated municipality within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and Curaçao will be it's own independent state. This may be changed should the citizens of Bonaire voters choose to become an associated state within the Netherlands instead.

So what does this mean? It appears that XUSOM, Bonaire chose to physically move before October 10th, 2010 since Bonaire's Laws then after will be the exact same (or almost exact) as the Netherlands (Holland). This may or may not put restrictions on the school or possibly a Netherlands take over, or nothing may change at all.

As the school is concerned, it is after all a private business like all Caribbean Medical Schools, and I would assume it would be of their best interest to make that move. Who knows their exact reason for this decision but assuming that as of today Bonaire and Curaçao are two entities of the same country it would make sense that nothing would change about the school besides the geography and the school name as they claim. The charter should easily transfer since it's the exact same.

If ECFMG/ WHO do not certify the change, then xusom probably won't. Again, as a private business, they're looking into what keep the business running. This is an educated guess but you will have to ask your school and see what they tell you.

If you're on the island of Bonaire, I think moving to Curaçao would be a nice change since it's much more developed. If you're in clinical rotations, then nothing changes, you'll still be rotating in the U.S. Your diploma however will end up saying Avalon University school of Medicine if and when it's certified.

AlwaysDreaming
05-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Very Interesting Development!

So, Curacao shall become a sovereign state which is a big unknown, but has exciting possibilities for the new country. Bonaire will likely be forced to establish European Union standards of medicine, which means you can get a European Medical education in a tropical paradise.

What kind of money and resources are backing these schools?

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in 5 years.

harishmed
05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Changing the name to Avalon is a smart move. Who wants to be associated and confused with the name Xavier nowadays? bad Karma.

AlwaysDreaming
05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I like the nick name which sounds like 'awesome', AUSOM.

Where did you go to medical school? I went to Awesome.

I hope they can live up to the name.

della
05-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Something smells FISHY!

m777a
05-15-2010, 10:57 PM
does this becoming part of Netherlands make any change in state approval of the school?
and does it add some other accreditation to school as it become part of a European country?

and does Netherlands kingdom help the school to improve their standard ,or school have to that in theirown, or there will be no change???

Yossarrian
05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Given the poor evaluation by the Dutch accrediting agency, the NVAO, moving is only a temporary option. This school and its other branches have absolutely no recognition or acreditation by NY, CA or FL and licensing boards are not stupid. There was an article by an official in curacao that said the NVAO is the recognized accrediting body for that island. Recommend students go elsewhere. Yossarrian

m777a
05-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Given the poor evaluation by the Dutch accrediting agency, the NVAO, moving is only a temporary option. This school and its other branches have absolutely no recognition or acreditation by NY, CA or FL and licensing boards are not stupid. There was an article by an official in curacao that said the NVAO is the recognized accrediting body for that island. Recommend students go elsewhere. Yossarrian

is the school gonna be fine with the other states accreditation, because they already did not have those state approval so nothing gonna change

caribdocky
05-19-2010, 01:32 PM

I totally agree with you. The real reason the school is moving out of Bonaire cause THEY ARE NOT ACCREDITED BY ANY ACCREDITATION AGENCY and didnt get NVAO accreditation therefore once Holland takes over the island, Xavier would be shut down. They are trying to bypass that by moving to Curacao but Curacao is a part of Holland as well so I would recommend students to transfer out to other schools but not within Netherlands Antilles if they want to get licensed in U.S.
St. James is moving out of Bonaire as well for the same reason but they chose Anquilla which doesnt have that strict rules.

skydoc
05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Don't give wrong information for the students. I inquired the appropriate authorities of the local government and department of education. NVAO is not mandatory to run medical school in Netherlands. You could still run the medical school in Netherlands even without NVAO accreditation as a private business entity either it is SJSM or Xavier, Bonaire. Xavier Bonaire is moving to Curacao not because of NVAO accreditation but for providing better facilities for the students.

skydoc
05-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Don't give wrong information for the students. I inquired the appropriate authorities of the local government and department of education. NVAO is not mandatory to run medical school in Netherlands. You could still run the medical school in Netherlands even without NVAO accreditation as a private business entity either it is SJSM or Xavier, Bonaire. Xavier Bonaire is moving to Curacao not because of NVAO accreditation but for providing better facilities for the students.

skydoc
05-19-2010, 04:25 PM

caribdocky
05-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Contact the Ministry of Education of Holland or NVAO and you will be surprised. Another option is to ask Morpheus for a red pill.

doc2be1day
05-23-2010, 03:46 PM
NVAO is not mandatory to run medical school in Netherlands. You could still run the medical school in Netherlands even without NVAO accreditation as a private business entity either it is SJSM or Xavier, Bonaire. Xavier Bonaire is moving to Curacao not because of NVAO accreditation but for providing better facilities for the students.

A medical school cannot get IMED listing without being accredited by its own national accreditation body. In the case of the Netherlands that is NVAO. If Xavier-Bonaire loses its IMED status no students will be able to sit for the USMLE exams in the US. Plus, without NVAO accreditation they will not be able to practice in the Netherlands. So yes, technically you could run a medical school in Bonaire without NVAO accreditation, but the graduates would not be able to practice anywhere.

mo5225md
05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
question. I am almost done. transferring would mean that i would have to repeat my clinicals. What is the best option?

mo5225md
05-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Plus how true is this information. Im sure the owners know what they are doing. They are not gonna put more money into building facilities and establishing a school on another island knowing the school is not gonna be accredited. I mean who would go to a school that cant sit for the usmle. I believe they are working to better the school. But any new information is appreciated.

heywood100
05-24-2010, 02:51 AM
A medical school cannot get IMED listing without being accredited by its own national accreditation body. In the case of the Netherlands that is NVAO. If Xavier-Bonaire loses its IMED status no students will be able to sit for the USMLE exams in the US. Plus, without NVAO accreditation they will not be able to practice in the Netherlands. So yes, technically you could run a medical school in Bonaire without NVAO accreditation, but the graduates would not be able to practice anywhere.

100% agree!

caribdocky
05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Plus how true is this information. Im sure the owners know what they are doing. They are not gonna put more money into building facilities and establishing a school on another island knowing the school is not gonna be accredited. I mean who would go to a school that cant sit for the usmle. I believe they are working to better the school. But any new information is appreciated.

First: If they told you they would be building a new facilities they are simply lying. How they could build a school building within 3 months??? They would simply rent a place like they do in Bonaire.

Second: SABA is located on a smaller island than Bonaire and they dont have to move out cause unlike Xavier, SABA is accredited. Their excuse that they cannot expend in Bonaire is simply not true. They would be shut down in October once Holland takes over Bonaire. That the true reason however Curacao is not a good pick for them cause the island is under Holland as well.

The situation of all schools within Netherlands Antilles except AUC and SABA is shaky cause all of them might be shut down due to lack of accreditation. Students invest time and money and at the end will not be able to get licensed anywere.

AlwaysDreaming
05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
I am enjoying this excellent lively debate and speculation, it will be very curious to see how all of this plays out. As far as I am concerned, the more high quality medical schools that exist, the better it is for the students. I know one could easily respond and say that most medical schools in the Caribbean are not quality, but I think ultimately the pass rate on the USMLE & clinical rotation choice is some kind of relative and relevant indication concerning quality.

Silent_Orchestra
05-26-2010, 08:43 AM
"The following important change will take place within the Dutch Caribbean later this year:

The Netherlands Antilles ("Dutch Caribbean") consist of several island that are part of the Dutch Kingdom. As of 10 October 2010 ("10-10-10") there will be a change in the constitution and the status of the islands will change. The islands Curacao and St. Maarten will become independant countries within the kingdom. The islands Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba (the "BES" islands) will become "provinces" of the Netherlands.

What will this mean for medical schools that are located on these islands?
For Curacao and St. Maarten, there will be no change in the Recognition Status (IMED registration). For the schools on the BES islands, it is not clear. It is expected, however, that should these schools wish to maintain their IMED status they will have to adhere to Dutch accreditation standards in order to keep operating.'

Being a student at Xavier, we will believe in what our administration says especially in regards to the move too Curacao. Of course, there are going to be a group of students such as myself that are a little more curious and want to "see for ourselves", and call the right people to make sure the facts being said by my school are correct, esp in regards to the accreditation's needed for students to practice in North America or anywhere else in the world. From the information i have gathered, Curacao is going to be an independent country just like Aruba, meaning that they do not have to abide by the Netherlands Antilles ruling especially in regards to NVAO. With the IMED and W.H.O listings, the school will not lose any of them, and the charter that is currently in Bonaire will be transferred over to Curacao, meaning the accreditation's will be transferred over as well. It makes sense that if a school if going to change their location, the owners would make sure the accreditation are going to be intact. Xavier Bonaire has been nothing but great to me and the students, and if they are going to make a change i know that they will make sure everything will be taken care of, such as in this situation. The move to Curacao is nothing but a positive change, esp since Curacao is going to be its own country later on this year, and of course it is a bigger and better island then Bonaire.

The false statements being said especially from "Caribdocky" seems like a simple case of "hating" on another school, and just pure assumption. Its either you work for another medical school or you have nothing better to do. One reason you are "hating" and falsely assuming is i have been to Curacao and have seen the construction site, looks like they are moving pretty quick and will be done on time. Stop with the assumptions because you obviously dont know what you are talking about.

mo5225md
05-26-2010, 07:28 PM
thank you for that information. It makes sense now that the island is going to be independent. As I have said in the past, Xavier has been good to me. Plus it has given me the chance to complete a dream. I really still have to be cautious as a student, or I would not be doing my job. So at the end hearing this information puts my mind at ease, as for other students as well. It just wouldnt make sense for them to move to an island just to lose accreditation. There are many islands out there.

hshaikh
05-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I am a new student looking to start MD1. after hearing this news I still fear the school could possibly shut down. has a sound conclusion been made. also does this mean that the bonaire campus will close down? i.e. students in MD2-4 are forced to move to Curacao? will the 5th semester in ohio change or the clinical locations?

caribdocky
05-27-2010, 09:01 AM
They wont loose accreditation because the school is simply not accredited by any accreditation agency.

Tipton
05-27-2010, 09:19 AM

Silent_Orchestra
05-27-2010, 05:45 PM
The general vibe amongst students in Bonaire is a good one in regards to the move to Curacao. By the time the new semester starts in September, all of the current students will be shifted to Curacao, and the new students will go directly to Curacao. The faculty, Deans and even more the owners will remain the same, so the 5th semester will continue to be conducted in Ohio (at the administration office), and all of the clinical rotation sites will be the same. Same school all around, just another location.

"Tipton"- Thank you for adding the IMED listing link.

jraof
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey Silent Orchestra

have any updates from bonaire for students beginning md1 jan 2011?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.