PDA

View Full Version : From PreMed to MD in Australia or Newzealand

AbderRahman
04-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Are there GUARANTEED routs from PreMed to MD in Australia or New zealand?

Thanks.

devildoc8404
04-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I believe the prevailing wisdom dictates that the only guarantees are death and taxes.

If you can get accepted to a six-year program in Oz or NZ, however, you have your pre-med and your medical degree wrapped up in one program. (Assuming you can hang with the program, of course.)

JayD
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
r austrian schools a better choice than indian or caribbean?

redshifteffect
04-26-2010, 07:55 AM
I believe the prevailing wisdom dictates that the only guarantees are death and taxes.

If you can get accepted to a six-year program in Oz or NZ, however, you have your pre-med and your medical degree wrapped up in one program. (Assuming you can hang with the program, of course.)

There are 5 year uni programs like UTas, Monash and I believe Newcastle...at least they're only a year longer then the traditional (for North America anyway) 4 year program...and all you need is a high school diploma.

JayD
04-26-2010, 10:36 PM
i donno if that would be a good option for an indian AbderRahman (assuming your an indian)!
There is alot of racial discrimination going on there these days! (Australia)
You guys (the ones who have experience the schools) must agree to me as well?

AbderRahman
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
No, I'm not from India actually.

redshifteffect
04-26-2010, 11:04 PM
i donno if that would be a good option for an indian AbderRahman (assuming your an indian)!
There is alot of racial discrimination going on there these days! (Australia)
You guys (the ones who have experience the schools) must agree to me as well?

Its not as bad as the media portrays it

JayD
04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Would it be a place you would suggest to an indian wanting to do his pre-med? MD study there reshifteffect?
Are you a resident?

redshifteffect
04-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Would it be a place you would suggest to an indian wanting to do his pre-med? MD study there reshifteffect?
Are you a resident?

I'm currently a registrar. As for would I recommend it I don't see why not at the moment in some hospitals 60% of the medical staff are Indian. There was a huge shortage of australian staff for a long time and this will only be corrected in a few years when the Australian students start to graduate. So if you are going to try and work here now is the time while there is still a shortage and your training is recognised.

At least if you are indian trained you can work as a doctor from day 1 (post Amc part 1) and in some states even before amc 1. Whereas in Canada you would have very little hope of working. So to me that's less discrimination.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.