PDA

View Full Version : New York Rotations!

worrydnow
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I know IAU is NY approved. Can students do core rotations there? do they have hospital affiliations in New york now or anytime soon?

dr.kidd
04-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Currently most of the clinical students are doing rotations either at chicago or atlanta. A few that I spoke to, seem to be be getting substantial exposure and good rotations in teaching hospitals. When I called the clinicals department last time, they said it might take anywhere from 6 months to a year to set up similar rotations in NY.

It is comforting to know that once you graduate from this school, you are eligible to apply to residency positions in the state of NY which is close to a quarter of the total. Other than that it might be a while before we are able to do all rotations in NY.

davinaMD
05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
but can one set up their own electives in ny over 12wks?

jsr
05-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Based on my correspondence with the NYS medical board, a decision was made, based on the site visit in December, to recommend IAU for approval, but that approval itself has yet to be made official.

Maybe someone who's seen this process play out before, or perhaps an official from IAU, would be able to provide more information. Until then, according to the NYS medical board official that I was in touch with, the 12-week rule applies.

Crane
05-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Based on my correspondence with the NYS medical board, a decision was made, based on the site visit in December, to recommend IAU for approval, but that approval itself has yet to be made official.

Maybe someone who's seen this process play out before, or perhaps an official from IAU, would be able to provide more information. Until then, according to the NYS medical board official that I was in touch with, the 12-week rule applies.

They should really take down the NY approval from their website until they are actually approved. The site visit recommendation may or may not be implemented and the school could have egg on its face down the road.

houmd
05-26-2010, 09:19 PM
It was approved, it depends on who you talk to in the office because everynow and then you get someone who doesn't know what's going on. As far as rotations, there are two types of rotations. Core rotations and Elective rotations. Core rotations are generally done in your third year and usually consist of IM, Peds, FP, Surgery, etc and your elective rotations are usually in your fourth year and can be just about anything else. Since core rotations cannot be done outside of hospitals that are directl affiliated with your teaching institution a student may not rotate through core rotations in NY as an IAU student until hospital affiliations are set up (be patient these things take time and I'm sure IAU is working on it.) Elective rotations, however, can be set up by a student and performed anywhere within state legal limits (certain states wont allow you to rotate eg. california, and most states have a limit on the number of weeks that a foreign medical student may rotate through them as a visiting student and the institutions themselves may have even more stringent limits on how long you can rotate through their hospital.) So in effect yes an IAU student may rotate through NY as a visiting medical student but you will have to look at the board website (or just call them) to see how long you may legally rotate through their state as a 4th yr.

dr.kidd
05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
They should really take down the NY approval from their website until they are actually approved. The site visit recommendation may or may not be implemented and the school could have egg on its face down the road.

Historically the Board of Regents have approved the recommendations of the Site Visit team which consists of the Executive Secretary of the NY State Medical Board and a panel of experts including Deans and Department Heads of prominent US Medical schools. All 14 foreign schools that were approved were based on the decison of the site visit team. So I dont think there is ANY chance of the approval not being implemented. Students can do more than 12 weeks of rotations and apply to residency as of right now. I have called the NY State Board and they have confirmed the same to me.

q2456
05-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Historically the Board of Regents have approved the recommendations of the Site Visit team which consists of the Executive Secretary of the NY State Medical Board and a panel of experts including Deans and Department Heads of prominent US Medical schools. All 14 foreign schools that were approved were based on the decison of the site visit team. So I dont think there is ANY chance of the approval not being implemented. Students can do more than 12 weeks of rotations and apply to residency as of right now. I have called the NY State Board and they have confirmed the same to me.

SO...Does that mean the school is New York approved or not yet??

dr.kidd
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
That means you have to wait till sometime in July for the Board to officially announce the approval.

worrydnow
07-22-2010, 01:01 PM
That means you have to wait till sometime in July for the Board to officially announce the approval.

JULY is finishing up....when do they put the school's name on the NYSED list?
Are you stating the NY site visit as NY approval. The school's website is misleading and so is ur info on this site. Dont harm the future of many unsuspecting students who dont know the difference by putting up wrong informations.

dr.kidd
07-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Here, why dont you call and find out for yourself if you are that worryd.

New York State Board for Medicine (Licensure)
Walter Ramos, Executive Secretary
89 Washington Avenue, 2nd Floor, West Wing
Albany, NY 12234
(518) 474-3817 Ext. 560 / Fax:(518) 486-4846
www.op.nysed.gov (http://www.nysed.gov/prof/)

dr.kidd
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
duplicate post

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.