PDA

View Full Version : University of Melbourne M.D. Applications for 2011 - Open

OzTREKK
04-20-2010, 11:36 PM
G’day everyone,

How are you all?

I know many of you have been waiting to find out when applications to the University of Melbourne’s new Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) program would open for the 2011 intake. As you can see from the various forum posts, applications to many Australian medical schools, including Melbourne have opened or will be opening shortly.

Applications to the M.D. program at the University of Melbourne for the 2011 intake are now open via oztrekk.

Entry Requirements:

a. Academic record: grade point average (GPA) from a completed three-year (or more) university degree in any discipline. GPA will be calculated based on a weighted aggregate over the final three years of study. Your final year of study will be given a weighting of 3, your second to final year a weighting of 2 and your third to final year of study will be given a weighting on 1; and

b. Pre-requisite subjects: completion of the following subjects at second-year university level or above (one each) in anatomy, physiology and biochemistry; and

c. Test results in an aptitude test: MCAT or GAMSAT. MCAT test results from January, 2008 to May, 2010 (inclusive) will be accepted. Applicants sitting the MCAT test more than once within this date range, may choose which set of scores to include with their application; and

d. Structured multi mini interview (MMI): to be held in September for those short listed.

In early June 2010, OzTREKK will be hosting its annual Canadian licensing workshops across Canada. These workshops provide you with the latest information regarding the accreditation and licensing process if you wish to return to Canada to practice, and provide you with some of your options.

If you have any questions at all, including the application process, please don’t hesitate to contact Alison.

Wishing you all the best with your application to Melbourne!

Cheers,

Matt

OzTREKK
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
G'day everyone,

There are a few more details which I can update you on regarding Melbourne's requirements for admission in to the new M.D. program:

1.MCAT requirements: No minimum has been set but it is likely to be only applicants who have achieved 8/8/M/8 who will be considered.

2. Pre-requisite subject outlines: Those who apply should submit full subject syllabi including information on assessment to have the subjects assessed for equivalency. This is pertaining to the pre-requisite subjects required by Melbourne in the areas of anatomy, physiology and biochemistry.

3. Pre-requisite subject completion: You must have completed all three pre-requisite subjects required by Melbourne to have your application considered and assessed.

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate ask me or Alison.

Cheers,

Matt

chr147
05-04-2010, 10:56 PM
are courses in English? Tuition costs

BrendaB_MD
05-04-2010, 11:01 PM

chr147
05-04-2010, 11:02 PM
i will go cry now :(

canadianchic
05-04-2010, 11:59 PM
No, classes are NOT taught in English. They are taught in Australaguanian.

I literally LOLed in the library

OzTREKK
05-18-2010, 08:02 AM
G'day everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Yes, the classes are taught in English. ;)

The tuition cost of the program is $60,000 AUD.

One more update, the Multi Mini Interview (MMI) which was to be held in Canada scheduled for August is now being held over the phone not in MMI format. It will be a phone interview consisting of a three person panel. More details to follow for those who are short listed for an interview.

Hope you are all well.

Cheers,

Matt

MedProdigy
05-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Hello Matt,

I had a few questions regarding the Melbourne MD Program. I am a US citizen planning on applying to the program. Please let me know the following:

1) How does the academic year work in this program ? If I start the program in January 2011, when would I be done with the whole program and be eligible to match at a residency back in the States ?

2) Does the program help/focus on students taking the USMLEs at all ? Are there NBME exams or any sort of prep available for the preparation of the Steps ?

3) Does the school give time and consideration for the North American students to take their Steps ? Meaning is there time off after 2nd year to prepare and take the steps and is the curriculum such that a student will be prepared adequately to take the Steps after 2nd year ?

4) Are there any provisions for North American students to do their core or elective clinicals back in North America at all ? Or does the whole program along with clinicals have to be completed in Melbourne ?

5) Lastly, when are we going to find out regarding the licensing of the school with the Australian Medical Council and after that how much longer would it take to get the school's new MD program approved in USA ?

Thank You

dcvin
06-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Hi Matt,

I have a 6 in Verbal, 8 in PS and 9 in B.S. for a score of 23N on my MCAT. I also have a 2.85 GPA with a strong upward trend in my marks... do I stand a chance at University of Melbourne?

ch3rryc0ke
07-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I have an 25N, 10, 9 and a 6 - witha 3.1 overall gpa and about 3.2 science

Which programs do you recommend me to apply for?

munda14
07-14-2010, 08:46 PM
this is a warning to all Indians who are looking to go to Australia. PLEASE DON'T GO TO AUSTRALIA. THERE HAS BEEN VIOLENT RACIST ATTACKS AGAINST INDIANS IN AUSTRALIA.

SO DON'T GO

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME

JUST GOOGLE- ATTACKS ON INDIANS IN AUSTRALIA

Molecule of Life
07-14-2010, 09:33 PM
G'day everyone,

The tuition cost of the program is $60,000 AUD.

Matt

Matt, is the $60k tuition total, or is that yearly?
Also, do you happen to have some numbers regarding Canadian students going to Australia and successfully getting residencies? Is it uncommon for one to remain there and work?

Anayalator16
03-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Hi,
I am from the states and I was wondering what the difference was between an MD and an BMMS? Do all medical schools in Australia give MD's or are they pretty similar?
thanks in advance!

Lyndal @ UOW
03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi,
I am from the states and I was wondering what the difference was between an MD and an BMMS? Do all medical schools in Australia give MD's or are they pretty similar?
thanks in advance!

All Australian medical schools offer the same basic medical education whether they call it MD (Melbourne) B.Med (Newcastle). BMBS (Flinders) or MBBS (most others). There are minor differences in the structure, curriculum approach, philosophyand style of each programme and it is important to do your homework so you are aware which school is the right fit for you. But essentially, you will graduate from all Aussie schools eligible to be an intern/resident in any specialty, regardless of what letters we give you.

Hope that helps
Lyndal

mbbstoshiba
03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I had no idea the Aussie medical school system was that different from the US! That i

G'day everyone,

There are a few more details which I can update you on regarding Melbourne's requirements for admission in to the new M.D. program:

1.MCAT requirements: No minimum has been set but it is likely to be only applicants who have achieved 8/8/M/8 who will be considered.

2. Pre-requisite subject outlines: Those who apply should submit full subject syllabi including information on assessment to have the subjects assessed for equivalency. This is pertaining to the pre-requisite subjects required by Melbourne in the areas of anatomy, physiology and biochemistry.

3. Pre-requisite subject completion: You must have completed all three pre-requisite subjects required by Melbourne to have your application considered and assessed.

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate ask me or Alison.

Cheers,

Matt

Anayalator16
03-12-2011, 02:42 PM
thanks Lyndal =) all the terminology is a bit new to me

I know that a lot of people have been asking, but I was wondering If someone could give me some insight on whether or not i have a chance of admission to Uni of Melbourne? If you dont mind, Id like to pm my stats and experience so If anyone is willing to have a look and offer advice, I would really appreciate it.

Anayalator16
03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Also, does UofM weigh EC's heavily at all?

Lyndal @ UOW
03-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Also, does UofM weigh EC's heavily at all?

No. Wollongong is the only Australian med school that looks at ECs for international admission to Medicine.

As for whether you are competitive for Melbourne, apologies, I cannot tell. To be honest with the MD program being so new, I would think the only people that could really advise you accurately would be the University itself.

Lyndal

WasApplicant
05-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it.

zs.vatan
05-30-2011, 09:54 AM
what would be a rogh stimate of tuition for clinical there?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.