PDA

View Full Version : Agencies to MD English program

AbderRahman
04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Are there agencies that can help in getting you admission to an English MD program in Poland.

I understood that HMI (Hope Medical Institute) is an admission office more than to be called an agency. Are there things like HMI out there?

Thanks.

mintjulep
05-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Poznan has a NY office as well. The website is something like mdprogram[dot]com.

lawmed
05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Are there agencies that can help in getting you admission to an English MD program in Poland.

I understood that HMI (Hope Medical Institute) is an admission office more than to be called an agency. Are there things like HMI out there?

Thanks.

What is the deal with applying through Hope? I called them and asked them about tuition. The figure they quoted was like $30K per year. The tuition figures displayed on the school's websites are more like $15-20K per year. What's up with that?

What is the candidate getting by going through Hope? Seems like just paying more money. Why not just apply directly to the school?

Am I missing something?

devildoc8404
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Please, DO NOT use an agent! They charge a pantload more money than tuition costs, and there is no reason for it. They don't offer much in return, from what I have seen with my classmates who used them. You can apply yourself (or if you can't, then pick another school), and spend less money than the agency fee for a trip flying to Poland to check out the schools and cities yourself to find the best fit. Seriously, IMHO, it's a waste of resources.

Cetacea
05-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Nope you're not missing anything. The only 'plus' may be that you can get back to the U.S. quicker, but for that price...there are better possibilities elsewhere...I don't know...I think i'll let someone who's gone through HMI comment I think.

devildoc8404
05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
What is the candidate getting by going through Hope? Seems like just paying more money. Why not just apply directly to the school?

Am I missing something?

Nope. You're spot on, lawmed. It's a total waste of money.

I spent FAR less on my applications, plus my first year of tuition, plus a fascinating trip to visit the schools I was deciding between, than I would have paid going through an agency.

(My classmates have horror stories of being placed in apartments over 90 minutes from the medical school, getting stacks of used medical books that are not utilized in any of the classes, promises of 50 state approval - which is not the case for the English program here, etc., etc.)

AbderRahman
05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
If you go to the Medical University of Lublin and in the American program, you will find that you have to go through the Hope Medical Institute.

I don't know if this is the case with the other affiliated universities with HMI.

Polski
06-07-2010, 04:56 AM
@devildoc8404: does this mean that you did not pay the $10K to the agent? did you go yourself to lublin and pay the tuition and bypassed that agent fee?

Also, did you still get loans from the U.S. or are you paying your tuition on your own? B/c i thought the "agent" is the one who sets up your clinicals in the U.S. for 3rd/4th years as well as giving you loans....

Rolff59
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
You're very right, Polski. Hope handles all of the financial aid work for Lublin, and AIM handles it for Lodz. These agencies also handle all of the US and UK clinical rotation stuff for these schools. Does your school have Stafford and Gradplus loans, Devildoc? Do you know how difficult it is for a school to get these loans and maintain them - very difficult. You talk an awful lot about Polish med schools when you attend a Bulgarian school. To the best of my knowledge, Bulgarian schools don't even offer the 4-year program, and no Staffords, so they have a long way to go before they will equal the Polish schools.

Polski
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
@Rolff59: thanks for the reply....i was under that assumption that the "agent" deals with the financial end of things in attending lublin. thanks for confirming that with me.

confuzzled01
08-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Nope. You're spot on, lawmed. It's a total waste of money.

I spent FAR less on my applications, plus my first year of tuition, plus a fascinating trip to visit the schools I was deciding between, than I would have paid going through an agency.

(My classmates have horror stories of being placed in apartments over 90 minutes from the medical school, getting stacks of used medical books that are not utilized in any of the classes, promises of 50 state approval - which is not the case for the English program here, etc., etc.)

hey devildoc HMI do charge a lot i definatly agree but i think the fact that they send you to the US for rotations is a huge benifit for residency you can make your cantacts get refrences etc, HMI states it's 30k-40k for one year of the basic sciences but that is not fees alone that is inclusive of living costs, flight costs and travel costs and fees all in one i think they put up that figure as all the students were getting edgy as to how much it would be.

The english program does have 50 state approval at lublin btw I know that, not trying to defend lublin and HMI (but i am attending it) It's just that everyone seeems to say that the agents are completly useless the rotations they provide are incredibly useful in themselves and it's pretty hard to organize those bad boys by yourself and i hear polish is a biiiitch to learn looool

Giantfan
09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been doing my research here and it seems like people are generally angry with the agencies. The thing I am wondering, is if using an agency gives you a greater opportunity to get into a school. Basically, if these agencies are shady, but they get you into a school, then the extra tuition could possibly be worth it. I guess it just depends on the personal situation.

If you have all the numbers, and can get accepted by directly applying, then that's the best deal. But if you don't have the numbers and need help getting accepted, then if the agency improves your odds, it may be worth it.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.