PDA

View Full Version : Limited recognition of english programs by st. of CA.

lawmed
03-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Houston, I think I may have found a problem! I just checked the Medical Board of California's site for approved medical schools. All the major Polish medical schools were listed...but only a few, Posnan e.g., were specifically listed as being approved for the "english program."

Does it mean that if a student goes to a med school that does not have a specific approval for their english program that the student is out of luck/screwed?:(

I assumed that if the school was approved in its native language, the english program would automatically be too. Now I am questioning that.

Anybody know how California, and other states for that matter, treats the english programs at the european schools?

Cetacea
03-31-2010, 03:03 AM
That's correct. The English Programs have to be validated separately and as of now, only 3 schools in Poland have this recognition for their medical programs in English. How each state treats these programs depends on the state, some follow the CA approval list, some require a certain number of years of operation (KS and AR ? I'm not certain about this though).

lawmed
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Whoa! There's like 10 medical schools in Poland with english programs. Only 3 of them are accredited in most U.S. states? :confused::confused:

This is news to me!!

Are there any Americans presently attending a non-accrediting school in Poland who can comment on this?

How do guys plan to proceed after graduating if the school's english program is not accredited in most states in the U.S.????

Tipton
03-31-2010, 10:01 AM

devildoc8404
03-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Whoa-whoa-whoa, there... not MOST states, but a decent number of them. I think it was like 8, at last count? Something like that. Regardless, there are far more places that you CAN practice, than you can't. Still, it's better to go to a school with CA-approval. (And no, approval of the native-language program does NOT automatically confer approval of the English-language program... even if the curricula are absolutely identical, and the English-language classes are taught by faculty from the native-language program. That is the case at my school!)

FWIW, I am attending an Eastern European (but not Polish), English-language program that is not currently CA-approved. It's where I ended up, for a variety of reasons that are too detailed to elucidate here... but I am studying my butt off in the full understanding that I can't practice in California (or Arkansas, or Vermont, etc.). There is still a list of over 40 states where I can practice, and most of them are the places that I would choose to live and work, so I'm cool with that. There are also other states among the 8-or-9 that follow the CA-list initially, but once you are licensed in another US state for a period of time (I think it's 5 years, but I'm not going to look it up right now) then you can be licensed there. New Mexico is like that, for instance.

Hey, if I had been accepted at Jag (one of the Polish schools with CA-approval), then I would definitely have gone there. Buuuuut I wasn't, so I didn't. It is what it is.

If you are a young buck (or buckette) looking at medical school in Eastern Europe, then I would say DEFINITELY try to get into the CA-approved schools first. They are your best bet for practice in the States... and especially if you have your heart set on a place that follows the CA list. If all else fails, and you can't (or don't want to) go to one of the Big Four Carib schools, then there are these other E-Eu options to consider.

Some of these schools are actually very good indeed (and some are crap), but they just have not gone through the exceedingly lengthy process of obtaining CA approval yet. And even once they start, it can take a matter of years to receive, according to my emails with Ms. P. at the CA Med Board.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'm in the middle of this, and our school's Rectorate is in the early stages of seeking CA-approval right now.

Elssha
03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
English programs have to be certified separately. I know someone in the Polish section of the school and I can assure you, the level is far higher and the instruction clearer. Then again, it's also stretched over 6 years with rotations done in the summers, vs last two years, giving students far fewer classes to worry about at once (we have anatomy, physiology, biochem during the same year, while I think in the polish program anatomy is yr1, physio is yr2 and biochem is yr3).

chapelier
04-05-2010, 05:52 AM
another solution is to choose a university where there is no legal split between native and non native teaching programs.
In my univ , as tuition is the same for all european , diploma awarded has no mention of english section , as you can indifferently study in english or romanian and even change during cursus (same programs) . And actually there is no administrativly speaking english section (other bigger univ in Romania have separated them , making impossible transferts from english to Romanian section , which is not a good decision for the rare Us citizens)
btw several former students from my school are in usa , all states accepting our graduates.
In my year an US citizen came , after validating step 1 in usa , in order to get both a diploma valid in usa and Europe. good deal

Elssha
04-05-2010, 05:11 PM
You can get the dual recognition (EU, US) from PL schools too. It's one of the reasons I came here. The swap thing is interesting, though confusing. Few ppl would be able to speak both languages well enough to study med, plus I'm sure learning things in two languages would get confusing (integration wise).

Giantfan
09-05-2010, 11:56 AM
The dual recognition is a great thing. Some people never plan to leave the states, but for those with an international background, it is wonderful to have the option to practice in both places.

sleenis
03-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Hi guys, so what are the approved universities in Poland?

Which universities would you recommend if you are planning to practise in US?

redphones
05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi guys, so what are the approved universities in Poland?

Which universities would you recommend if you are planning to practise in US?

Can someone please answer this?

devildoc8404
05-12-2011, 12:56 PM
CA has approved the English programs at Jag, Lublin, and Lodz, I believe. (I'm sure about the first two, and not 100% on the last one.) There might be a couple of others, I'm not sure.

thekoz
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Here is the info that I found on Medical Board of California site. Hope it clears this up for people. As the site states,

Should you have any questions please contact the Board's Licensing Program at (916) 263-2382.

Poland

Academy of Medicine of Bydgoszcz
Jagiellonian University Medical College (includes English program)
Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences in Poznan Faculty II
Medical Academy of Danzig AKA Medical Academy of Gdansk
Medical Academy of Juliana Marchlewski in Bialystok
Medical Academy of Lodz
Medical Academy of Lublin
Medical Academy of Mikolaja Kopernika of Krakow
Medical Academy of Poznan Faculty I
Medical Academy of Warsaw
Medical Academy of Wroclaw
Medical University of Lublin (English Program)
Medical University of Silesia School of Medicine in Katowice
Medical University of Silesia School of Medicine in Katowice - English Language Program
Pomorska Medical Academy AKA Pomeranian Academy
Poznan University of Medical Sciences (English Program)
Silesia Medical Academy of Ludwika Warynski Katowice

PercyMD
08-10-2011, 09:57 AM
CA has approved the English programs at Jag, Lublin, and Lodz, I believe. (I'm sure about the first two, and not 100% on the last one.) There might be a couple of others, I'm not sure.

What is the cheapest CA-approved school in Poland?

geobizman
08-13-2011, 03:46 AM
I am interested whether Jagielloniar Medical University holds 2 year residence program. ( I did not manage to find on site):(.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.