PDA

View Full Version : Unibe raises tuition once again

A.Bush
03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Well everyone it is official starting September 2010 the tuition for UNIBE is being raised $ 500.00 more a semester...

"we must direct our financial resources to protect the academic mission"...quoted from a letter sent by the school...JUST GREAT..

Well everyone we need to start coughing up more money... :violin:

Cubanito76
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
The question is... how has raising tuition so much over the past 3 years ever benefited us? We still have the same problems and complaints we had 3 years ago. The American medical students already pay close to 3 times more than a Dominican pays. Seems like all these changes and new plans are going to take effect after we're gone; it seems unfair that we've had to pay all this extra money and got nothing in return.

Instead of building prettier offices and extra floors for architecture, they should try to invest money in their teaching and in competently training their staff. I find it hard to believe that so many people cannot answer simple, basic questions or are simply unavailable when you need them. There is nobody even around to overlook any of this. It's unacceptable; these are rights all students deserve. We are paying for an education.. are we not?

I guess that's how they plan to cover their loses in Capcana.

It's all a joke. That's why I'm leaving and never looking back.

losackmd
03-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Its not all a joke!!!!!!
everything in the world is going up.
Thats a fact of life and living...........
OBGYNS malpractice isnt decreasing !!!!!
office space isnt decreasing
get used to things going up not down and for no cogent reason either!
i shudder each time i go to the mail box.
You are paying for that piece of paper that has DOCTOR en MEDICINA on it.
Its my humble opinion that you are not paying for an education.
You are not paying for cleaner classrooms or nicer chairs in the library or better teachers or acceptable circumstances. You just arent.
it might be a shock to you but you arent.

You educate yourself to pass those qualifying exams.
You pay for the WHO credentialed schools' diploma with your name on it
and thats it.
To compare what you pay to what Dominicans pay is absurd! You are comparing the richest country of the world to one of the poorest.

you are your teacher and you will learn to become a physician when you come back to the US. Those are the hard cold facts. They are true. Anyone who debates them knows not what they are talking about and fooling themselves.

A.Bush
03-28-2010, 02:07 PM
LosackMD,

I agree with you on all your points, but the simple fact is that UNIBE prides itself in having a good learning environment and "great facilities". The truth of the matter is that A/C work 50% of the time, I have had teachers stop giving class because they are fed up with the heat in the classrooms. The Internet doesn't reach the whole campus and is extremely slow in areas, they could expand on this greatly.

The problem isn't the raise in tuition I have no problem paying more, but the money we are giving them should be used to accommodate us better, they need to take action in fixing these issues to keep the student population at ease.

There are minor things which can be fixed relatively fast and would get the student body off their necks.

take care

losackmd
03-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh my! i dont know where to start. I have a few minutes and i type fast so here goes.
Mr Bush, with all due respect and i mean it because you are a future colleague, you are missing the more global point here.

I dont care what my detractors say, i speak from the heart and experience. I am trying to help you and others really understand what you are up against so that this might mitigate some of your suffering
and 'foolish' expectations.

In America you get what you pay for for that matter you pay for what you get. There are rules regulations clauses appeals legalities rights freedoms justice ( most of the time ) complaints, accountablility!

You are not in your nation. You are in a foreign land where none of these things matter. There is so much corruption in the DR it is beyond the scope of this thread to venture into that arena.

If i could shrug your shoulders and stare you in the face and yell at you Id
tell you to stop looking at these teachers as people who care at all if you stay or go learn or dont learn become MDs or not or for that matter live or die. They are paid "poco" and are obviously envious that you will become a well to do medico one day and they might not even have a job.
I think the problem is that you have been spoiled by some improvements
and you feel you should be entitled to more.

You are im afraid in for lots of disappointments if you envision these needs being met because you are paying more. There is no formula here.
More money goes into the pockets of those who steal and it has nothing to do with your education. NOTHING! start developing a little healthy cynicism it will go along way.
You can i guess find a more comfortable school. You are from a wealthy nation and we are taught comfort from day one. The Dominicans are not!

If you could possibly switch the focus to the fact that you are being allowed to study MEDICINE abroad in the first place, that your diploma and exams will COUNT and you can return to the USA to have a great life and career because of the piece of paper i talked about it might help lessen the feelings of entitlement you have. The US govt could, im saying could one day announce no more foreign MED grads allowed.......
RN's, PAs, Phds, Nurse pract, midwives etc etc could one day take over half the profession....it is not out of the question. They are doing it as we speak in many parts of the nation.

Again i quote you "the money we are giving them should be used etc"
ill bet you all the money in the world that money is going somewhere
that has nothing to do with the school. You can count on that ! This is not America!
"keep the student population at ease"? If you all left tomorrow they would have a whole new group come in by lowering the tuition until they filled up again. This is the DR. but so much more importantly it is your education.
You teach yourself the books. Learn the answers to the questions in the USMLES, and work on getting a residency here which i hear is getting harder and harder. Thats where your mind should be at. Not on teachers who make 2 dollars an hour and a system so corrupt i could tell you stories but lose my credibility and i still have some left.

The only person in the world who should care about what is going on is YOU! dont count on them caring about you. Dont ! Stop it! id say grow up but i wont! Fight, everyday. Fight! You are not in Harvard!
My colleague who fought in Nam told me the UCE was worse than VIETNAM.
Study hard, then study harder. Dont let them win! Dont let them!
We all know you are suffering.

BTW...

You are free to read my self pitying threads about having electricity half the time and AC unheard of at UCE in 1976. Enjoy yourself reading them, they are nevertheless true.

stay focused. dont lose it. hit the books not the teachers.
Pass the exams and get the hell out of there.

suerte!
Dr Losack
A Psychiatrists view of the world (http://www.glennlosackmd.com)

october
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
The question is... how has raising tuition so much over the past 3 years ever benefited us? We still have the same problems and complaints we had 3 years ago. The American medical students already pay close to 3 times more than a Dominican pays. Seems like all these changes and new plans are going to take effect after we're gone; it seems unfair that we've had to pay all this extra money and got nothing in return.

Instead of building prettier offices and extra floors for architecture, they should try to invest money in their teaching and in competently training their staff. I find it hard to believe that so many people cannot answer simple, basic questions or are simply unavailable when you need them. There is nobody even around to overlook any of this. It's unacceptable; these are rights all students deserve. We are paying for an education.. are we not?

I guess that's how they plan to cover their loses in Capcana.

It's all a joke. That's why I'm leaving and never looking back.

I can and certainly do understand your frustration. If u have already spent 3 years there wouldn't you be near graduation? If you are transferring this late you no doubt feel a very heavy burden. If you are near graduation you may want to "bite the bullet" a little longer.

I left UCE more than 2 decades ago for reasons that tower over the UNIBE of today. I had only spent 1 semester there fortunately. We were lucky, we couldn't complain about broken ac as there were none. We enjoyed the equivalent of classroom sized "convection ovens", "idiotic irrational disorganized rectoria" and other things that made Vietnam vets "yearn for Vietnam"

I agree with thoughts of your tuition somehow not finding its way to fully benefit education.

I imagine the dominican students are also perturbed, especially since dom high society has no lack of "self entitlement" 3 times tuition is fine and dandy if all the dominican students were not affluent. I have visited UNIBE as a tourist and it seemed those dom students are well to do, so in that scenario I agree that it is not fair.

I do believe Unibe has quite a few decent docs teaching. Docs that have done residency and practice in G7 nations and no way will they work for 2$/hour. I can picture them trying to teach in a convection oven and sharing in everyones frustration.

I am surprised that the American surgeon at Unibe does not advocate and gets problems resolved, especially something as simple as repairing an AC. In Santo Domingo there are tons of AC repair shops and they are very good and cheap. Compressor, pump, recharge gas, repair leaks.

A.Bush
03-30-2010, 06:14 PM
I must say Dr. Losack your cynisism is much needed during these times and it would be wrong of me to not learn a few things ;), I agree with what you said and we should count our luck that we have gotten the improvements if any, but I am focused in what I want to do, if they decided to raise the tuition by 1000 dollars i would still pay it, though it pains me. I know what I came here to do and through the toughest of situations i will go on, i know what its like to go through medical school in bad situations, my uncle graduated from the Autonomous University of Honduras, during about the same time period as you and it is a much poorer country than the DR, so i count my luck with what is offered and understand the struggles your generation had to go through, but you are right in saying that i've grown up with commodities, and i need to look at this country for what it is....

THANKS DOC, a nice little psych lesson for the road....

Many blessings....

Cubanito76
07-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I can and certainly do understand your frustration. If u have already spent 3 years there wouldn't you be near graduation? If you are transferring this late you no doubt feel a very heavy burden. If you are near graduation you may want to "bite the bullet" a little longer. .

For SURE I'm finishing. I only have about 5 months to go home. The news of tuition raising again initially upset me and perhaps I found it necessary to vent. The last thing I want to do is discourage anyone from coming here. If your goal is to become a medical doctor, then UNIBE will most definitely help you to accomplish that goal. Problems with administration are found anywhere you go. Trying to change the world is not only setting an unrealistic goal but also one that will veer you away from the only one you should be setting which is to graduate and pass your steps.

Latest news is that the school's plan is to raise the tuition to $7000 a semester or more which is close to double what I was paying when I arrived. Sure it's disappointing and unfortunate that every year my tuition has been raised and none of these funds have been used to improve education; however, the first lesson I learned when I arrived to this country applies to this as well. That lesson was not to try and change the system and their way of doing things. Accept the way things are, do your time, study hard, and pass your boards. Is this not our priority?

Good luck to all.

A.Bush
07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
From what I have gathered the 7,000 semester cost will be for new students not already active ones, this will not affect those which are paying the regular cost with the added 500 dollar addition in September.

There are many more changes as well,

from what I have heard the Pre-Med program is going to be phased out, the last admitting class will be the September-December 2010 one, starting January it will not be offered ( Don't know exactly if that will work out, but that is the idea). Once the 1 year 4 month period of the September-December 2010 is done thats it for Premed. Admissions will only be for those who have a bachelors degree, and who will have to send their MCAT scores, GPA is now 3.0, and their will be a cap amount of admitted students, don't know the figures but far less than before.

Also those coming from Spanish speaking countries will have to take the TOEFL to show their english proficiency and they will only be allowed to take the English Program not the Spanish one, The Spanish program will be solely available for Dominican Students.

Well don't kill the messenger folks, from what I have come to understand these are some of the changes that will take effect very soon, hopefully these will make the school more attractive and allow us to achieve that longed for California License, among other states.

Peace

piojita63
07-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Pre-med is done?! Really?! I have been trying to get in contact for weeks (with no result) with admissions...I am interested in doing the pre-med. I have a bachelor's degree (not in a science field), but I have a few pre-med classes that I took on the side AND Spanish is my native language. I was looking to start at UNIBE in January 2011 where I could finish my pre-med stuff.
Is this not going to be possible now?!
Who do I need to speak to about this?!
Since they refuse to pick up the phone/answer emails, I already bought a ticket to go down there next in 2 weeks to sort things out, but now I'm panicking that I am going to waste my time!

Somebody please shed some light!
Would I have to go to UCE to do premed?!

Cubanito76
07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Pre-med is done?! Really?! I have been trying to get in contact for weeks (with no result) with admissions...I am interested in doing the pre-med. I have a bachelor's degree (not in a science field), but I have a few pre-med classes that I took on the side AND Spanish is my native language. I was looking to start at UNIBE in January 2011 where I could finish my pre-med stuff.
Is this not going to be possible now?!
Who do I need to speak to about this?!
Since they refuse to pick up the phone/answer emails, I already bought a ticket to go down there next in 2 weeks to sort things out, but now I'm panicking that I am going to waste my time!

Somebody please shed some light!
Would I have to go to UCE to do premed?!

I'm not debating what the previous poster said about the changes soon taking place, but things change here by the minute. In fact, the only thing you can be assured they will actually do immediately is raise the tuition.

I know they are totally revamping the entire program, but I know that even the school is confused with what exactly they want to do. Do you know that there are AT LEAST 3 different medical programs with different classes going on right now in UNIBE?? That is no lie! I'm in semester 13 of the first one so I know.

Coming here is proabably what you should do to get things straightened out. It will give you a chance to check out the school and the city which is something I did before I started here. Ask questions and talk to students. The dean is friendly. You can approach him and ask him directly what's going on. Right now, it's anybody's guess.

A.Bush
07-23-2010, 06:18 PM
listen i would call the school and ask to be sure i am not sure what the deal will be but I've heard this from several sources, it might be a rumor or true i am not sure..but call to verify don't get a conclusion from me, I'm just a relay messenger I hear and report so everyone can be a little informed just in case something happens.

Much luck in your endeavors....:peace:

dksamp
07-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Wassup peeps,
I know I have been incognito lately (Private practice is quite busy). but, I felt I had to chime in on this brouhaha about tuition going up.

Lets put things in their proper perspective.
ALL US Universities raise tuition, some EVERY YEAR and always by MORE than $500.00, and when the big universities raise them, people beef for a lil bit and then go back to business as usual. Plus, none of the big Universities try to justify the raise, the raise is a part of doing business, especially with their costs going up.

I am surprised how UNIBE is still able to maintain their tuition relatively low for US students. Keep in mind, the medical students I teach now are paying 20,000+ per year tuition, and that goes up EVERY YEAR. Ain't no US med student paying $5000 per semester, and when I bring up how much I paid for my medical education (2,900 per semester), I see their eyes turning green with envy.

Anyway, I also want to lend my 100% support for Brother Losack....PREACH BROTHER!!!! PREACH ON!!!! (raising the roof) ;-)
You often inject good ol fashioned common sense where these debates are clearly lacking.

PEACE!!

-Derek

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.