PDA

View Full Version : Recently I found out about Sackler, Ben Gurion U (BGU), and Technion...

Molecule of Life
02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to this website but I see there is a tremendous amount of information to be found and I need some serious advice.

-Does one need to know Hebrew to end up graduating, or is English good enough for 4 straight years?

-Of the 3 schools listed (Sackler, BGU, and Technion), would any of you say one is better than the others based on medical training and residencies obtained?

-Finally, would I be a serious candidate with 29R MCAT (got 5 on verbal :doh: ) and a 3.87 gpa applying from Canada (I believe both A's and A+'s count as 4.0 in USA, so it would be near 3.96 after conversion). I`ve also got the volunteering etc...

(It seems to me these schools may be more preferential than those in the caribs)

Thanks

schrizto
02-18-2010, 03:50 AM
-No, but you should try and pick up some basic Hebrew over those years
-Sackler probably the best, being most organized and well-known
-You have a good chance stats-wise. Your MCAT is about the average for the programs and the GPA is above their average.

RossGrad82
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Do you get good placements after graduating

PufferFish
02-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Sackler and BGU stand above Technion right now. Technion's program is newer so there are some kinks to be worked out. However, all three are very good. Technion is a world famous university for engineering and I'm sure the reputation of the medical program will improve in time.

BGU has an entirely different approach to it's curriculum. It's focused on training doctor's that will be leaders in global health. Just like any good school, your stats will have to demonstrate that you can manage the intense medical curriculum.

Your gpa is strong. As long as you took a full course load, this gpa indicates an ability to do well in school over several years. Your MCAT total score is solid too. That's approaching the American mean and is the average MCAT for entrance to BGU-MSIH. However, your poor verbal is a red flag. If English is your 2nd language, then that's a very valid excuse for doing poorly on verbal. I think the admissions committee will surely take this into account. If you have a strong interest in global health issues and you have some international health experience, this will help enormously for your application.

I would only apply to BGU-MSIH if you have a strong interest in international health work. The entire school is focused on this.

PufferFish
02-18-2010, 03:40 PM
As for residency placements, many of them are quite impressive.

All you have to do is look on their websites. BGU matches very well and our Columbia collaboration definitely helps. We get to do 4th year rotations at Columbia hospitals and this helps us obtain letters of recommendation from Columbia faculty.

If you want a great education, an amazing cultural experience, and you have an interest in global health issues, then definitely apply to BGU. The teaching is excellent. Israeli's know their medicine. A large number of our profs are actually American born, American trained, and they've worked in the US before coming to Israel. Your degree will come from Ben-Gurion University which is one of the best universities in Israel. You can't go wrong with a degree from BGU. You'll also be amongst a talented, intelligent, and altruistic group of students. Do your research, see if the program suits you, and go from there!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.