PDA

View Full Version : AUA Step 1 Pass rate as of 2010?

AspiringDoctor
02-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey guys!
I was just wondering what the Step 1 Pass Rate was of 2010 (this year). I know SABA and St. George do give out their passing rates (which are fairly amazing) but I do want to go to antigua for med and was wondering why they have not posted theirs? I went through the forum and people do pass the Step 1, however does everyone get a chance to do clinicals after that or is there a chance that you go to a any carribean medical school in general, and spend 200 000 without really having a career after? (Sorry about all the questions, I just needed all the information before I ended up going to the islands!)

Thank you for understanding hehe
Aspiring Doc!

BrendaB_MD
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Tipton
02-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey guys!
I was just wondering what the Step 1 Pass Rate was of 2010 (this year). I know SABA and St. George do give out their passing rates (which are fairly amazing) but I do want to go to antigua for med and was wondering why they have not posted theirs?

USMLE Pass Rates for AUA student test takers reported through 04/15/09:

(http://www.auamed.org/ecfmg-usmle-information)

Since AUAs inception, USMLE Step 1 first-time pass rates for all students is 80.6% (http://www.auamed.org/ecfmg-usmle-information)
For AUA students with an overall Basic Sciences GPA of 3.0 and higher, 98.6% passed USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt (http://www.auamed.org/ecfmg-usmle-information)
Those with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher; 100% passed on the first attempt (http://www.auamed.org/ecfmg-usmle-information)

AspiringDoctor
02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Thank you Brenda for your lengthy reply. It is definitely something I will take into consideration.

Thank you Mr. Tipton, I clearly overlooked that on the website. My mistake!

Thank you once again!

BrendaB_MD
02-14-2010, 07:54 PM

rahulb
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
carib students generally have great scores on step1 bc many take 4+ months to prepare for the exam. its very hard to fail after that much prep time. many of my classmates also did the kaplan retreat and a bunch of other crap. on the flip side most american schools only allot 3 weeks of prep time for their students.

i'd like to see some numbers for step 2 ck scores. i know ross has an abyssal pass rate lol

BrendaB_MD
02-15-2010, 04:29 PM

rahulb
02-15-2010, 04:45 PM
i can't think of anything more interesting than reading ecfmg articles on step scores...

studying and writing the exam is enough for me thanks

BrendaB_MD
02-15-2010, 05:02 PM

DrFraud
02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I am pretty sure that SGU has the highest performance of any carib school. Thus, I think it is inaccurate to say that carib students generally get good scores.

I'm pretty sure that no one at present really has any way of figuring out which Carib program has the highest performance over the last say 4 years or so, but I am curious how you derived this claim outside of your own personal experience/anecdotes which tend to have less statistical and mathematical validity.

BrendaB_MD
02-15-2010, 07:33 PM

rahulb
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Well, reading those articles would prevent you from making erroneous claims.

Happy studying.

making erroneous claims on the internet is serious business

DrFraud
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Acad Med. 2008;83(10 Suppl):S33S36.

Results are aggregated by county but many of the countries only have one school.

The data is over 10 years old and there is no way to conclude that a school like SGU is performing better than a program like Saba over the past 4 years from the data that you site.

BrendaB_MD
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM

DrFraud
02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
I agree: the data is old and some of it is aggregate data. Still, despite its shortcomings, to my knowledge it is the best data around.

best for who?

I am pretty sure that SGU has the highest performance of any carib school.

10 - 15 years ago i would agree with this statement. Today and during the past few years, the data support for this claim is as weak as some of the statistical issues you raised earlier in this thread.

sak
02-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree with BrendaBMD.

SGU does have the highest first time board pass rate among all caribbean island programs. This has been documented and published. If the study was repeated then I would bet lots of money it would look the same.

There is never going to be a way to calculate the highest average board scores from any program in the carib. This is because no one is interested in making their own scores public.

In my graduating class I knew a dozen students that scored 99s on step 1 and step 2. And atleast two dozen that scored in the very high 90s on both steps. I have heard more recently that those numbers have doubled since my graduation in 2008. You only hear about these success stories at SGU because those excellent students will make their board scores known.

If the those numbers are an indicator, then I would agree with BrendaB that SGU has some pretty high scores, probably the highest in the caribbean. In fact I dont think it would be too difficult to convince all of the SGU students who score in the high 90s to make their scores known. Someone just needs to pursue it.

Also, it is my opinion that SGU also has an excellent ERAS Match rate. A very high proportion of SGU students entering the clinical years with me matched when they graduated. Review the previous match and prematch lists published on the SGU website and you can see for yourself.

Match outcomes are the single most important factor when rating the effectiveness of any program in the carib.

Dr.Fraud: Would you rank a caribbean program (i.e. SABA, Ross, etc.) higher than SGU? If so, then why?

sak

DrFraud
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Match outcomes are the single most important factor when rating the effectiveness of any program in the carib.

Dr.Fraud: Would you rank a caribbean program (i.e. SABA, Ross, etc.) higher than SGU? If so, then why?

sak

I think its very difficult to rate the big 4 based on stats. From students that I have met at all 4 programs, those who study and work hard do well, and those who slack off usually struggle.

With that said, lots of students from SGU run around claiming that their program has superior academics to Saba, Ross, and AUC, and better residency placements do to name recognition, and this is something that I question, and I do not see solid support with the data, nor have I seen any evidence in clinic or from residents and attendings.

One thing to consider is that Carib. programs change an awful lot over a 5 year period, and SGU is no exception. Class size has increased by a few hundred per semester at SGU, and there has also been a lot of faculty changes too. (this happens at other Carib. programs so SGU is not alone here) SGU has not released any data about its Step 1 pass rate or averages for the past 3 years or so, and their marketing relys upon a study that has data that is quite old and does not make valid comparisons to comparible programs - as data from Ross, Saba and AUC is lumped together with other schools that are not comparible.

As far as clinic rotations is concerned, all Carib. programs have their problems, some more than others, but by in large, most of the hospitals that have students from Carib. programs rotate at are far more similar than different, and I have a lot of trouble with any SGU student who claims that their verson of clinic is in any way superior to the others. Ive seen groups of 10-20 SGU students herded around wards with the same frequency as Ross.

As Brenda B has already alluded to, even if SGU did release updated Step averages from it's supersized classes in the past 2-3 years, it would be difficult to interpret. Lots of academic research on large class sizes suggests that SGUs supersized classes will not do as well as their older classes from 5-10 years ago that were more modest in number nor will they do as well as smaller programs like Saba and AUC. While I will be the first to say that SGU does a solid job, I am also the first to question claims that SGU does a superior job to AUC, Ross, and Saba academically in the past few years.

The evidence that is often cited by SGU marketing and SGU graduates & students is too old, and in my opinion, does not support the claim about the current state of academics at big 4 programs.

BrendaB_MD
02-16-2010, 08:46 PM

stonehaven
03-04-2010, 03:57 AM
I did a research online that indicated that the ranking of carribean medical schools based on the USMLE step 1 first time Pass rate in the past 5 years was as follows: #1 a medical school in Jamaica over 70%, #2 SGU about 70%, #3 Ross with 66% #4 AUC ABOUT 60%, AUA, SABA had between 50-60% , while most schools were far below 50%. i'll find the research and post it.

Lets be realistic and objective, it's not about whose school is the best . The most important thing is knowing that even though you may have high GPAs on finishing the 5th semester, U will need to work super hard to do well . In some of the Carribean medical schools the exams scores are so inflated or the students are so spoonfed that their GPA in no way reflect their true knowledge of the basic sciences. This is done in some schools to reduce the attrition rate and to ensure that the students keep their loans. While in some schools like SGU, AUA, Ross u basically get what u score on the exams. No adjustments, no extra bonuses or extra credits.

It makes no sense to spend $130,000 to make it to the 5th semester and have to study for 3-7 months to pass or fail the USMLE STEP 1. And more frustrating not being able to pass the exams after even 2 attempts. This is a mere waste of time and a bad investment. So we need to know what we're dealing with and try to adjust appropriately as early as possible to ensure that we do well in the USMLE Step 1 at the first attempt.

this is just a frustration i had to get out.
thanks Guys

CARICOM-MED
03-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Agreed !!!

Issue is, most of these schools are for profit, and care less about what you do with your MD/MBBS. Even though they really should as the school's rep is at stake, and will affect them in the long run.

We should start a "CARICOM USMLE A+ Plus Club"
for all carib students with 95+ on the USMLEs

Similar to the Alpha Omega Alpha :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.