PDA

View Full Version : BGU-MSIH - best choice ever!

BGUstudent
02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey everyone!

I just want to give you some info about studying at MSIH since many of you will have to make a choice between medical schools shortly.

During the application process, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit some great schools, in the US and Canada, and ultimately I turned down an offer.

BGU provides a different philosophical approach whereby students are able to apply their knowledge outside the scope of a traditional medical curriculum.

Thus far, it has been an illuminating experience engaging with different cultures, learning about global health, and living in the Negev!

Ben Gurion University has a special place in my heart.

It's been a great adventure so far!

Don't hesitate to private message me if you want to know more details! I know exactly what it's like being a prospective student!

:mrgreen:

PufferFish
02-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I totally agree!! I really enjoy studying at BGU-MSIH. I especially enjoy the global health focus of the curriculum and the cultural experiences I've had all over Israel. I can go on and on about how much I like it here...

For any incoming students, feel free to message me...Oh, and one last thing, orientation is a blast! You'll have a great time!

ram2390
02-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Pufferfish and BGU, trying to get my 5 posts in for this forum so I can PM you guys with some questions!

ram2390
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Weird...when I sent PM's it didn't show I sent them. Did you guys receive them? If not can I get your email addresses? Thanks!

BGUstudent
03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Shalom Ram,

I also need my 5 posts to reply :P

Just to give you some info. I am actually a Canadian and have no connection to Israel. I am not Jewish either.

There are Israeli programs and American programs here in Israel and the paths differ greatly.

The Israeli program is 7 years long and most people enter after going to the army. Some people even do an undergrad degree before entering.

The residency is just as long as in the States and for some residencies it's even longer. For instance, for plastics, as far as I know, it's ~9 years in Israel compared to 5 years in the States.

I came here to study at the Medical School for International Health, an American program in collaboration with Columbia University. After 4 years here, the plan is to do residency in the States. Everyone who enters the American program must have an undergraduate degree beforehand and also write the MCAT.

Hope this helps! :p

BGUstudent

ram2390
03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks BGU. Do you start the 7 year program when you begin your undergrad at say Hebrew U or the Technion(3 yrs undergrad+4 years med school)? Or does the 7 years begin only after your undergrad (3+7)?

If the 7 year track begins with undergrad, are you actually awarded a B.S. degree in a major like biology, psych, etc?

BGUstudent
03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey Ram,

The 7 year program (which includes an intern year) is completely different and you have to do it on top of the undergraduate degree.

My information is purely hearsay. I'd google and look for info if I were you.

I've also heard of a graduate entry program at some Universities where if you have an undergraduate degree, you can enter into a shorter medical program. Apparently, there's one in Tel Aviv. Again, I've only heard this from a person or two.

I don't really have any more knowledge than this! Hope this helps!

BGUstudent

ram2390
03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks BGU.

To BGU or anyone else: Is it true that many undergrad degrees in Israel are awarded in 3 years of instead of the standard American 4 years?
A friend of mine at Hebrew U told me she is getting her bio degree in 3 years.

BGUstudent
03-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey Everyone,

I got another private message which I can't reply to since I don't have enough posts.

The average stats are on the Ben Gurion medicine website. I believe it was a 3.5 GPA and 29 MCAT last year.

I believe the averages are quite similar in Sackler and the Technion, just judging from previous posts I've read.

Sackler has been an established program for a long time now and they seem to match really well. According to people I've spoken with, the program is virtually identical to an American program.

The Ben Gurion University MSIH program is a bit different. Global health is a component throughout the curriculum and Hebrew is taught twice a week for the first two years. It is compulsory at BGU if you don't speak Hebrew, but it's not compulsory at Sackler.

I don't know much about the Technion, except that their 4 year program is fairly new.

So far, I'm really enjoying my time at BGU. I haven't found many gaps in terms of USMLE prep, but I'm just in my first year.

Keep in mind that there are several schools in the States that have many gaps in their curriculum in terms of USMLE prep. Apparently, students at Case Western used to do very poorly on the boards because the curriculum was so research oriented.

I highly recommend you look at the student doctor network forums. You can find some great info there. Several of your questions will be answered from previous posts. Hope this helps!

:)

BGUstudent

BenjaminFlom
02-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Based on the dates of these posts, I would hope at least someone who posted previously is a second year student. If you are still following this thread, can you please provide some updates as to how things are progressing?

tobrien393
03-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Hey there, i have just been accepte to MSIH, and I'm looking for tips, advice, mandatory courses of action in getting the usual pre-med school essentials!!

I'll prob end up private msg'ing those who posted 2 years ago, but i'd be nice to share it on the board.

Thanks!

T

vautbc
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey there, i have just been accepte to MSIH, and I'm looking for tips, advice, mandatory courses of action in getting the usual pre-med school essentials!!

I'll prob end up private msg'ing those who posted 2 years ago, but i'd be nice to share it on the board.

Thanks!

T

Great thread--wish the guys/gals who started it would post updates, though.

I'll likely be bringing a partner to Israel with me. Does anyone know what it's like trying to find a full-time job in that area of the country as a non-citizen?

michaeljordan
06-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I have a question. I am still an undergraduate and I am interested in this program. What activities did people participate in before applying to this program to be involved with global health? Is there a way to be involved without studying abroad?

medimedistudent
04-27-2013, 05:04 PM
anyone have any feedback on the current state of affairs in the program?

PufferFish
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Hey Everyone!

I'm a current 4th year student and I will be graduating in a few weeks. I welcome any questions from incoming students. Studying at MSIH was an incredible experience and I enjoy sharing my experience with interested students. It was an amazing adventure with a great class of peers that have become lifelong friends of mine. Our class matched very well with many going to the best institutions in the US. I look forward to answering any burning questions anyone has about the program and life in Beer Sheva!

Princess1991
02-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Hello!Thanks s much for wanting to take questions from students who are very interested in BGU MSIH. Please can you tell me about the pass rate? What percentage do students require to pass a module and move on to the next semester? I would also like to know more about living in BeerSheva, Did you enjoy it during your time there? What are the classes like? I am so eager to know all that I can about this Med School! I really pray that I get in by GODS special Grace!Thank you!

tobrien393
02-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Hello!Thanks s much for wanting to take questions from students who are very interested in BGU MSIH. Please can you tell me about the pass rate? What percentage do students require to pass a module and move on to the next semester? I would also like to know more about living in BeerSheva, Did you enjoy it during your time there? What are the classes like? I am so eager to know all that I can about this Med School! I really pray that I get in by GODS special Grace!Thank you!

Hey to all looking at BGU/schools abroad,

Pass rate for classes/USMLE/modules? I can tell you that there is more than ample utilities embodied as professors and students to guide in passing all classes and courses and the Step. I have a friend studying abroad at another school right now, and just as with undergrad, the scores you receive are entirely dependent on YOUR/OUR efforts. It is very helpful to go to class and as a professor said recently-everyone who went to every class passes this test. I'm not trying to intimidate or scare anyone, I'm only remarking on the innate responsibility of each med student to work-completely independent of which school you are at.

Which brings us to: Why BGU-MSIH? Living in Beersheva (B7) has its +/-, it is not at all like New York/Chicago/LA, but Tel Aviv is very accessible. There are plenty of affordable housing here, very nice and cheap. They just made a climbing gym (my 2nd home, theres an awesome outdoor pool, bars, religious centers for everyone, trails, and cafes. Classes can be good to great, there are a good number of excellent professors who truly care about the students and want to help us learn. Hebrew is a mandatory class, but prior experience is not at all necessary, and for me it is an excellent way of learning to be a global member of society. Comfort zones are expanded and even if you have no family/friends in the area (like I had*) the people of Israel love accommodating foreign students as do the Israeli students. There are some lower socioeconomic areas of course, but that was an appeal which brought me to the area. Bedouin villages and other groups of people are close by, and it allows for crossing of cultures.

I love it. I never imagined I would be here, but now I am very excited to approach the new challenges of working in the hospitals in Israel (and Nepal/India/Ethiopia/etc. for 4th year).

Best wishes to all those applying to a laundry list of schools,

Holla if you have questions,

T

Tricuspid
03-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Hey everyone!

I just want to give you some info about studying at MSIH since many of you will have to make a choice between medical schools shortly.

During the application process, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit some great schools, in the US and Canada, and ultimately I turned down an offer.

BGU provides a different philosophical approach whereby students are able to apply their knowledge outside the scope of a traditional medical curriculum.

Thus far, it has been an illuminating experience engaging with different cultures, learning about global health, and living in the Negev!

Ben Gurion University has a special place in my heart.

It's been a great adventure so far!

Don't hesitate to private message me if you want to know more details! I know exactly what it's like being a prospective student!

Stop spreading misinformation. No one turns down an offer in North America for an international school.

Jefflewis
05-31-2018, 12:28 AM
The MSIH is a four-year, North American-style medical school that incorporates global health coursework into all four years of the medical school curriculum. BGU has been ranked 320th in the world, 70th in Asia and 4th in Israel according to the 2016 QS World University Rankings.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.