PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with New Guy Questions?

BrianMD
01-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Hello to all, I wanted to ask some questions regarding UNIBE and other DR med schools. My parents are Dominican and I have been there many times, I'm fluent in both english and spanish, (Born in NY, raised in Miami). Im currently working on my associate in Biology,I'm 19, and I've been thinking about going to UNIBE since my cousin recommended it, he is currently enrolled at the PUCMM med school. I though about PUCMM but he told me that its only in Spanish, even though i can read and write with the best of them, I prefer english for such an important decision. So UNIBE sounds like the way to go, even though if i were to go to PUCMM i would have free food and housing via family members.

So my questions are simple:

Should I waste my time, money and credits from Florida prepaid and stay in the good ol USA and get ** in Biology in FIU, or UF and hope to get into med school here and drown myself with loans. Or get my AA then go straight to UNIBE? (what would you do) not to mention I could be (in theory) a 24-25 year old doctor if i go to UNIBE.

What EXACTLY are the classes that they consider pre-med so i can take them now, and go straight to med school?(there not on the website and they wont answer back? I have hospital experience if it counts for anything.

Are the any other accredited med schools in english in Santiago or Santo Domingo?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

booger eater
01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I think that since you have the florida pre-paid, you might as well use it. There's a chance that you perform very well in college and the mcat, then you can gain entry into a US/state school. This greatly broadens your residency choices; usually specialties that begin with O. For example, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, etc.

In the grand scheme of things 2 years doesn't really make much of a difference.

BrianMD
01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
But the thing is, I have failed a couple of classes,(that im taking again as we speak). My parents will get a refund if I dont use it. Then i can get financial aid. Or I might just use the rest of the prepaid money for completing my bachelors. And have UNIBE as a back up plan if I dont get accepted into a school here. What do you guys think? Im not sure though, the thought of starting med school now is very appealing. Since Im only one year into my associates so it will be three years from now that I will get my bachelors.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.