PDA

View Full Version : Australia to 'sell' clerkships possibly

azskeptic
01-18-2010, 06:16 AM
International medical graduates could soon buy interships | The Courier-Mail (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26595830-3102,00.html)

Bhoot
01-24-2010, 08:23 PM
basically they are saying that foreign schools will contract with Australian schools to provide places for their (foreign med school students) within the Australian system. This is already being done all over the US and other countries by private medical schools. It is a source of revenue, and all students who have made it to this point have passed the requisite parts of their licensing exams, therefore I question the validity of the writers' seeming concern about "patient safety". More likely it is the typical reaction of any group of people when "foreigners" come into their area: that "they" are going to take all of "our" jobs/slots/seats. Its the oldest racist/nationalistic scare tactic out there.

MD9610
03-17-2010, 03:27 AM
I was not able to open up the link.What was that about? Can you mention the essences please.

sierpinski
10-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I'd also be interested in hearing more about this. I have my suspicions about clerkships being "sold." As the Interns are employees, and the unions here have negotiated very strict rules for how Interns are treated and paid, etc...

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.