PDA

View Full Version : Interview for Queensland

i_love_cheese
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi There!

I'm wondering what the interview process is like.

I'm a Canadian student interested in applying for January 2011.
Do you automatically get an interview once you meet the cutoff (8/8/8/M) or do you need 30+ to be granted an interview?
Also, What kinds of questions do they ask in the interview? The OZTREK site gave me the impression that they don't actually ask you questions, they merely use the interview as a way to inform you about their school, rather than a weeding out process.

Please help me
Thanks in advance:D

OzTREKK
12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
G'day i_love_cheese,

Actually, there is no interview at the University of Queensland. Admission in to the University of Queensland's medical program has two requirements, which are assessed on a 'hurdle' basis. Meaning if you clear one hurdle, you move on to the next.

Firstly, you need to meet the minimum GPA requirement. If you have met the GPA requirement, then (secondly) you must meet the MCAT requirement. If you meet both, then you have met the requirements to receive an offer in to the program. At that point, you will either receive an offer or not receive an offer in to the program depending on how many places are available at the time that your application is assessed. Hence it is a 'rolling' admissions process.

The University of Queensland no longer conducts interviews for admission. I believe 2007 was the last time that an interview was conducted as part of the admissions process. In 2008, the School of Medicine changed the interview to a consultation. What this meant is that you already received an offer and you had an opportunity to speak with one of the academics and clinicians at the School of Medicine to find out more about the course and program prior to deciding as to whether or not you wished to accept the offer.

As the University of Queensland now makes a number of trips during the year, especially to Canada, you can now come and learn more about the medical program at the University of Queensland.

I am currently working on the Medical School's next visit to Canada which is scheduled for May, which will see the Dean of the School of Medicine at the University of Queensland visit Canada. I hope to have the itinerary and scheduled finalised early in the new year which I will post up on the forum for those who are interested in learning more about the medical program at the University of Queensland.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask at any time.

Cheers,

Matt

lsu09
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
what exactly is the minimum GPA requirement?

OzTREKK
04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
The minimum GPA using the University of Queensland's scale is a 5.0/7.0. Now, I know most of you will say, what does this translate to on a 4.0 scale or as a percentage for North American applicants.

I have to give you a range as all North American universities are different. So the range is between a 2.67-2.80 on a 4.0 scale or 65%-70% on a percentage scale.

I am sorry that I have to give you a range, but there are many factors which go in to determining your GPA on a 7.0 scale at UQ from your North American university. I actually have the UQ Admissions spreadsheet, which is used both by International Admissions and the School of Medicine at UQ. Unfortunately, I cannot post it publicly, as it is only for Admissions Officers. If you e-mail me a copy of your transcript I can always plug in your results and grades into the spreadsheet and let you know how your GPA converts to a UQ 7.0 scale.

I know that the ranges which I provided you may not be that helpful, and please only use them as a guide, as your GPA calculation is only official once it is completed by the Admissions team at UQ. We are a double check point for the University.

lsu09
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
I gotcha, so after the Adcom sees that the GPA meets those requirements, it looks at the MCT and if its greater than or equal to a 24 then one is admitted to the UQ-Ochsner program?

OzTREKK
04-14-2010, 08:02 AM
G'day lsu09,

I cannot speak directly about the UQ-Ochsner program as we do not administer it. OzTREKK only administers the regular four year medical program at UQ which is open to all international students.

However, regarding your question, yes, if you meet the GPA minimum requirement and the MCAT minimum requirement and at the time that your application is assessed there are places in the program, then you should receive an offer.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Matt

lsu09
04-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Oh ok I see. Well thanks so much for your answers I really appreciate it! Also, where could I find more information regarding admissions for the UQ-Ochsner program?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.