PDA

View Full Version : PBH (Portsmouth Beach Housing)

islandthrift
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
PBH (Portsmouth Beach Housing)

DEQNY85
11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Express your questions and concerns here and I will try to answer them.

Alamgirian6329
11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Express your questions and concerns here and I will try to answer them.

Do they have doubles available at PBH ? Besdies the location advanatge, can you highlight some other plus points of PBH over the others ?

Thanks

DEQNY85
11-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Pro--> Affordable price, generator, internet, furnished w cable TV small fridge and a gas oven/stove. All shower heads have electric powered water heaters (AKA you ALWAYS have warm water). Guards are always on location and housing is away from local reach, next to the ocean, has its own trail that leads to the campus (safer for night walks), no annoying animal sounds, Restaurant on site, 3 min walk distance to [barn study space, RUH office for electricity, Picard grocery, Hong Kong restaurant and more], no complaints about living there or the workers and the cottage rooms were nice to live in

Con--> rooms are not studios (about the size of a large bedroom with a bathroom), gets a bit noisy the night after exams (if you are one that goes to the parties its not gonna bug you), clubs like to make parties at the restaurant on some weekends so can be a bit noisy.

there are no doubles that I know of here.... there are 3 levels of rooms available and the beds offered are pretty large (queen?)

bdr3733
11-18-2009, 03:31 PM
DEQNY85: Is this info you mentioned about that standard rooms, the superior rooms or the studios?

docdonny
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Also, how far is it from the Annex where first semesters have classes?

papaya
11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I really liked PBH. I wrote a detailed post about it in the main housing thread. Every semester I get a lot of PMs about PBH and unfortunately I am really busy right now and no longer able to answer them, so if you have any questions, please contact PBH directly.

Here's my post from 7/08:
Portsmouth Beach Hotel ~ My Positive Experiences
For those interested in a great place to live, I recommend Portsmouth Beach Hotel (PBH). I have had a positive experience and have lived here for 3 semesters and have recommended it to many people.
Here's what I liked about it:

1) The staff are great, the PBH manager AR is very friendly and helpful, he is always trying to be very accomodating (the front desk is always available, they are open until midnight I believe), the housing manager has always been very nice and takes care of any maintenance issues the same day (they have an onsite maintenance staff).
I have found the restaurant staff are very cordial, they provide each apartment with a menu and deliver food to your apartment. Also, the cleaning ladies do a really good job as well as the gardening and maintenance people.

2) It includes a generator, which is a must since electricity seems to always go out before the day of the mini.

3) The apartments have modern tile and come fully furnished with TV, refrigerator, cable internet, wireless internet, lots of closet space, right next to the beach, the RUH pool, the swing study building, RUH lounge, and a 5min walk from campus.
Many of my friends were shocked when they saw my PBH room, since they didn't know what PBH was until then. Since then, many people I know have moved into PBH, it's a very friendly atmosphere, but quiet so you can study. I always recommend PBH to first semesters.

4) All of my friends got back their deposits after finishing fourth and had no problems, unlike with other apartments on the island.

5) I pay $472 per month, which is very reasonably priced, since I am a ground level apartment, but the prices range based on what floor level your apartment is.

I decided to write this review to help others, and did so independently of PBH. I ended up finding about PBH from a friend and took over his apartment when he finished fourth.

Answers to common questions I have been asked:
1) I never had problems with flooding nor insects despite being on the 1st floor.
2) PBH is a ~15min walk to the Annex (semester 1 classes) and a ~5min walk to the main campus (semester 2-4 classes), depending on how fast you walk.
3) The management is very honest and trustworthy.
4) I never had anything stolen and felt very safe.
5) PBH is right next to RUH, it's closer to the ocean.
6) Concerns about noise: ask for an apartment facing away from the restaurant. The only time I ever heard any noise, was the day of exams (after everyone finished their tests and were celebrating), and the noise was not from PBH, it came from Mamies sulfer springs, but of course things may have changed as this was a year ago.

DEQNY85
11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
DEQNY85: Is this info you mentioned about that standard rooms, the superior rooms or the studios?
THis info encompasses all rooms available at PBH

The differences are essentially size and quality....the more you pay the bigger the room.....and the more you pay the higher your room is off ground (prevent bugs) and the more features your room has (nicer look space, the superior has a sink and oven located in the front of the room where as other rooms will have the oven somewhere in the room or on the balcony)

DEQNY85
11-23-2009, 11:24 PM
distance from annex is roughly a 10-15 minute walk HOWEVER there is a shuttle that passes in front of the PBH main gates (free of charge from school) until about 7:55 every school day

The walk to the actual campus is 2 minutes if you take the PBH trail to campus (great access to the school and library at any time without being worried about being jumped) Just buy a nice flash light

DEQNY85
11-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Papaya has a good post and it pretty much still applied in quality since I left the island in April

The major difference is the feature of electric powered water heating attached to all shower heads as many people would complain that the hot water would run out so this is no longer an issue and this is believe me a great thing.....you dont want to know what its like to take a shower in ice cold water before class

tranmd
11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Papaya has a good post and it pretty much still applied in quality since I left the island in April

The major difference is the feature of electric powered water heating attached to all shower heads as many people would complain that the hot water would run out so this is no longer an issue and this is believe me a great thing.....you dont want to know what its like to take a shower in ice cold water before class

This doesn't sound badly at all, so I definitely can look into PBH, however, I noticed 110V transformer is not included or available in these rooms. So should I buy one and bring it down if I choose to live here, or pick one up in Dom?

DEQNY85
11-24-2009, 06:43 PM
One issue with PBH is an issue at some housing and that is the electricity

at PBH you do NOT have US power outlets and so you will need to buy a converter for your laptop and any appliances you bring

Basically this gives you one of two choices:

1- Buy a large converter (I think it runs like $100 US) that will handle all your appliances and laptop from the US
-OR-
2- Buy your appliances on island that are made to run at the local electricity voltage and you will only need a small converter (like $25 US?) for your laptop

Also- note that none of these rooms come with a microwave which can be a bummer....therefore you may need to purchase one on island or you can heat your things on the stove (as I did)

docdonny
11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Do the rooms come with any pots/pans/silverware? Also, how much does a small tank of propane to use with the stoven cost?

Thanks

DEQNY85
11-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Standard and superior rooms do not bring any utensils (plates, cups, forks etc) or pots/pans.....but if you are living by yourself youll only need one or two of these so not too big of a deal
the most expensive rooms (superiorest?) have a small kitchenette so they MAY have one but you can give them call/email them about that

not a big deal though just bring pan with you and a fork and a durable cup or you can buy the stuff on island (run a bit expensive)

the ovens all work with small propane tanks (like the ones in the US) you pay a deposit for the tank itself that is returned when u give the tank back and the filling of a tank was nothing expensive maybe 20 US

LinkMD
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Can anyone who has stayed here recently comment on previous claims (2007) regarding no glass windows and doors that are 2 inches too short?

quade09
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Can anyone who has stayed here recently comment on previous claims (2007) regarding no glass windows and doors that are 2 inches too short?

Hey,
I can't comment on the doors being too short as I am not on the island yet but I emailed PBH and asked about the windows and was told that there is no glass, just screens and large hurricane shutters that keep out bugs and rain. Hope that helps.

DEQNY85
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I lived in the cottage section that does not have glass windows. Basically what it is, is the windows are covered with bug screen and they have wooden window shades that essentially open or close the windows ....not a big deal since its always hot on the island although if you plan on using AC 24/7 the room may take longer to cool as the wooden shades dont perfectly seal the window as glass ones would here is a picture from their site:

http://www.portsmouthbeachhotel.com/images/photos/6_b.jpg

Also the doors are not too short,they are actually touching the floor and very well sealing ....however the door to the balcony (the door you see in the above window) is probably 1/2 inch above the floor.....

docdonny
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Can i get away with putting a microwave in my barrel?

ms88
01-30-2010, 06:30 PM

how much is the rent now? ill be starting the semester in may 2010 so struggling on whether i should choose RUH or something else.

papaya
02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Single or Double

Studio
$681.00
Superior Rooms
$577.00
Standard Rooms
$472.00

dreamer321
02-27-2010, 07:12 AM
how much is the rent now? ill be starting the semester in may 2010 so struggling on whether i should choose RUH or something else.

hi ms88, i'm a 4th semester who's currently living in PBH right now. I just moved in this semester and I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Rent approximate: 1st floor= 470
2nd floor= 570
3rd floor= 670

Pro: The only thing I like about PBH is that it's close to everything: campus, Ross Housing (for electricity or lost luggage), Swing 1 (study sapce), pool, and the ocean.

Con: 1st, the internet connection here is very unstable. It goes out from time to time and you have to complain to the manager for them to fix it. Even after they fix it it'll go down after a while so you need to complain to them again. 2nd, it takes them forever to fix stuffs in your room. My friend's AC was broken and it took them 3 weeks to fix it, and that's after my friend told them if they don't fix it she's going to move out. My room phone has been dead the first day I move in. I moved in in mid January and now's almost March and they still haven't fix it yet. 3rd, all they care about is your money. Let's say if you want to start living here in May 15 so you need to pay the rent for the whole month of May. If you want to leave your stuffs here in April you would need to pay extra for each day you leave your stuffs here. But if you want to start living here on May 15, they won't deduct the 14 days that you aren't here from your rent, they still make you pay for the whole month of May. 4th, as you guys know there's no glass on your window. Your AC will leak out the window so you would waste lots of money on electricity. And electricity is expensive here!!

I would recommend anyone out there who's thinking about living in PBH to reconsider.

papaya
11-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hear you haven't had a good experience dreamer :(
I loved PBH and had a great experience. I would always go directly to the manager if I needed something done though, he made sure it was completed same day. Is he still there, maybe you can talk to him?
I really appreciated the amenities of PBH, being next the beach, next to all the study spaces, etc. I think if you explain to the manager your complaints, he will help you out. He went above and beyond for me.

DEQNY85
11-28-2010, 01:43 PM
the key to the internet situation in PBL is that you can get it wireless AND wired connection.... the wireless is pretty crappy the best way is through wired connection so bring the internet wire with you if you are coming to PBH.... I did this and rarely had internet completely out on both

dj333
07-12-2013, 09:47 PM
how big are the fridges? good enough size to fit stuff? i plan on trying to cook as much as possible to save money. is pbh a good place to do this? is it expensive to eat out all the time there? monthly budget on food?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.