PDA

View Full Version : New Dean about to resign or have resigned, staff and profs l

zuhair
06-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Heard from a very reliable source within the school, that the new Dean has either resigned or will resign soon. Also, a whole bunch of profs and staff have either quit, and /or will be quitting soon. There is no anatomy professor, so the students are left to fend for themselves... all this right before the midterms! what's next? It doesn't look good for the future outlook of the school! Anybody at St. Chris, can someone enlighten us with the FACTS ONLY this time?

bts4202
06-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Only what I know:

1. Anatomy proff got a residency in the US and left to start that, new proff flies over next week. The guy got one well after the match, so it wasn't expected. It does suck, but they are working to resolve it and have hired someone else already.

2. 3 proffs who are PhD's and also students are moving on to clinicals, so yes, they are leaving per se. That is at the end of the term however, as far as I know..lol. I know someone has been hired and is already at school to replace one of them, i don't know about the others. Thats one of the big problems with having PhD's as proffs and students... they stop teaching.

3. Don't know about the dean. However i do know he has been unhappy because he has not been allowed complete autonomy. He wants to change the program and make it completely european, the admin and board want the school to remain geared towards the USMLE and US system. They have butt heads a lot.

archon218
06-05-2004, 11:21 AM
doesn't seem the school is very stable.

TaxiDriver
06-05-2004, 12:25 PM
doesn't seem the school is very stable.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1989obviousmasterof.jpg

Nebakanezer
06-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Only what I know:

1. Anatomy proff got a residency in the US and left to start that, new proff flies over next week. The guy got one well after the match, so it wasn't expected. It does suck, but they are working to resolve it and have hired someone else already.

2. 3 proffs who are PhD's and also students are moving on to clinicals, so yes, they are leaving per se. That is at the end of the term however, as far as I know..lol. I know someone has been hired and is already at school to replace one of them, i don't know about the others. Thats one of the big problems with having PhD's as proffs and students... they stop teaching.

3. Don't know about the dean. However i do know he has been unhappy because he has not been allowed complete autonomy. He wants to change the program and make it completely european, the admin and board want the school to remain geared towards the USMLE and US system. They have butt heads a lot.

Concerning the faculty, I believe this person might be referring to members of the faculty that are MD's. One is departing for maternity leave at the end of June, which is well before the end of the semester, nothing is currently known to the students regarding a replacement. A second MD was just appointed to a position in ENT surgery at one of the local hospitals and is leaving at the end of the semester, but is thinking about teaching part time next semester. Concerning the staff, the administrations office manager recently departed, as well as one of the long time staff members that deals with registration.

OLDPRO
06-05-2004, 07:57 PM
So, in all the Med schools in the US and the world, Deans stay untill retirement, Professors never leave with better offers, Female professors do not become pregnant? What? Let's be fair and look at this intelligently, even if the dean left there will be a new dean like other schools. LOL :o

AUCMD2006
06-05-2004, 08:26 PM
dean leaves, teacher is pregnant ok but throw in administration leaving, registration, leaving, teachers leaving. i had forgotten that sc lets their PhD students teach med school classes but thats another problem entirely.

bts4202
06-05-2004, 08:48 PM
dean leaves, teacher is pregnant ok but throw in administration leaving, registration, leaving, teachers leaving. i had forgotten that sc lets their PhD students teach med school classes but thats another problem entirely.

Hahahahahaha, :lol:

Run for the hills :twisted:

PS: just as a point of clarity, once these three proff leave and start clins, there will be no more PhD proffs as part time students anymore.

AUCMD2006
06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
there is a reason why professors and students shouldn't be friends. professors should be on another level as our mentors etc. what prevents my drinking buddy who also happens to be teaching me biochem from taking it easy on me, giving me answers, or a little extra help?

granted profs at our schools have been known to hang out with students but they are under contractual opbligations relatively long term what does a student care they are out in a year? throw that in to the charter issue now theres two things the boards have never had to deal with.....

call me crazy but i just think it is unethical no matter what semester they are in and what they are teaching. i am not saying they aren't qualified just that it is a conflict of interest but then again when our schools can save a buck why not? actually its a brilliant scheme the school doesn't have to pay for their airfare to interview them, moving expenses, signing bonuses they teach for free just give em a tuition waiver....man if that isn't a perfect business model i don't know what is (other than insurance that is)

drzed
06-06-2004, 05:44 AM
As a first semester student, I must admit that it's been quite a bit frustrating to have to deal with all of these issues.
We often have no idea which instructor will be instructing us, and on which day (if at all). The one good thing that came out of this is that we had our Lower Limb lecture at King's College (which was EXCELLENT) -too bad this can't be a weekly occurence.

We've been told that our replacement anatomy instructor arrives on Monday, but we'll have to wait and see if that actually happens.

As for histo, with one MD leaving on maternity leave and the other MD leaving for ENT, we're not sure who's taking on the remainder of the term...

I guess our frustrations primarily lie in the amount of disorganization we've experienced so far. I can speak for myself only when I say that I like the school and I like the students, but this disorganization certainly shows that the school has many areas in which to improve.

Speaking of which, in a previous post **** mentioned the administration would offer us everything we NEEDed (printer, copier, journals and a badet even) if we just got together and asked them. Would you please pm me to tell me exactly how you think the best way we should do this? At one point, we did have a group of our class in the admin building, but it's not like we can just barge in and go see the Dean. Our computer lab operates on wireless as you know, which is down about 90% of time with the exception of two computers. So that's another issue we'd like resolved. So any constructive help in trying to get some of these essential resources would be very much appreciated.

On a positive note, the upper semester students have been great. They often (always) go out of there way to help us in any way possible, so that's been great to see here.

I just hope things change significantly for the incoming September class at the least.

Cheers,

Nebakanezer
06-06-2004, 09:51 AM
I just hope things change significantly for the incoming September class at the least.

I wouldn't bet my first born on it. This is coming from a student that started last september.

bts4202
06-06-2004, 04:02 PM

I wouldn't bet my first born on it. This is coming from a student that started last september.

thats right, expect at least one proff a semester to get maternity leave...hahaha... how dare she.

professors should be on another level as our mentors etc. what prevents my drinking buddy who also happens to be teaching me biochem from taking it easy on me, giving me answers, or a little extra help?

granted profs at our schools [AUC] have been known to hang out with students

OMG, hahahahahaha... keep em comin man, keep em coming... too funny!

AUCMD2006
06-06-2004, 05:13 PM
bts has finally lost his mind. last few posts make no sense. the statements made are just being laughed off, i wonder how funny these things will be if they come up for licensure?

"rrod wrote:
granted profs at our schools [AUC] have been known to hang out with students "

profs hanging out with students has been posted on the ross, sgu, st james sites also you can add st chris on there too bc if students are teaching and then hang out with their classmates it also qualifies right?

bts4202
06-06-2004, 10:16 PM
bts has finally lost his mind. last few posts make no sense. the statements made are just being laughed off, i wonder how funny these things will be if they come up for licensure?

"rrod wrote:
granted profs at our schools [AUC] have been known to hang out with students "

profs hanging out with students has been posted on the ross, sgu, st james sites also you can add st chris on there too bc if students are teaching and then hang out with their classmates it also qualifies right?

Haha, I guess if proffs hang with students at ross, SGU, and AUC, .... then st chris can only hope be be able to be licnesed in as many states as they are... since it will become an issue at licensure time... :roll: :roll:

why do I laugh, because it is an assinine comment coming from someone who attends a school with similar actions and who claims their schools grads are licenesed in all 50 states. It must not be that big of a concern!!

PS: the funniest part, is that the proffs don't even hang with the students. The admin hangs out more at student functions than any proff, and even that doesn't happen all that often anymore. Your school, by your own admissions, has many proffs partying with students... that should be more of a concern than PhD proffs taking med school classes part time.

Picard
06-07-2004, 01:18 AM
The issue is not professors (one "f", by the way) "hanging out" with students. There's nothing wrong with that.

The issue is, when a professor is also a student in the same school and major (in this case, medicine), assuming both a student role and professor role. Meaning that your classmate in XYZ becomes your professor in ZYX class. There is an apparent conflict of interest and appearence of inpropriety. This is why you will not see this practice in any medical school state side.

P

bts4202
06-07-2004, 01:29 AM
The issue is not professors (one "f", by the way) "hanging out" with students. There's nothing wrong with that.

The issue is, when a professor is also a student in the same school and major (in this case, medicine), assuming both a student role and professor role. Meaning that your classmate in XYZ becomes your professor in ZYX class. There is an apparent conflict of interest and appearence of inpropriety. This is why you will not see this practice in any medical school state side.

P

firstly, thanks for the spelling lesson

Secondly, the mere appearance of inpropriety does not equal factual inpropriety. Also, there is no more conflict of interest between a prof partying with a student and becoming a drinking buddy than would a prof who sits next to someone in class he/she taught in a previous semester. It is actually MORE likely that a prof will offer unfair assisstance to a "friend" who drinks with them, than some random student that the prof hardly knows. Not to mention that many other schools have/used to have this practice and have not had licensure problems due to it such as Saba,MUA, and spartan (taking nothing else into account).

thirdly, the practice will likely be extinct following this semester, so the point becomes moot.

AUCMD2006
06-07-2004, 03:41 PM
a student is on the same level as you so when they also become your professor that is conflict of interest. i don't agree with profs hanging out withs students but its also not a rampant all out drunk fest and by no means widespread. there are a few profs that will allow you to sit with them having a burger at the rib shack while they have a beer. i havedn't heard of prfs getting drunk with students like the post on the other forum maybe i should have mentioned that i was talking about having a beer and ribs not doing body shots at Q. the only prof that i know hangs out with students used to give 5th semester students a farewell party but that was after the professor relationship ended.

i'm sure things go on that i'd rather not know but i don't hang out with the part scene and i will only be on the first edition of "AUC students gone wild" carrying a tree to a bonfire....

AUCMD2006
06-08-2004, 05:09 PM
if these student PhD's are teaching a class who teaches them the subject? do they just give themselves grades or do they get advanced credit?

bts4202
06-08-2004, 05:45 PM
if these student PhD's are teaching a class who teaches them the subject? do they just give themselves grades or do they get advanced credit?

Oh yeah, of course they are exempt from taking that course.

The school would look at their PhD before they began the program and see how long ago they got it and everything else to see if the credit should be given. But barring any problems, they would most definately get credit for the class. They obviously wouldn't get an entire year of credit or anything, but they would be able to get exempt from that class.

Advanced credit for PhD's in a certain subject area is not uncommon in the US. In fact, just call the LCME Secretariat (AMA), Dr. Frank ***** and he can tell you that. Here is the contact info: http://www.lcme.org/contacts.htm

Hey, and KCOM has a section of their website devoted to it:
http://www.kcom.edu/newcatalog/admissions/credit.htm

AUCMD2006
06-08-2004, 07:47 PM
they take a competency exam so its not advance credit its course credit that they placed out of demostrating knowledge in the subject...so question is does SC give an exam that they must score 80 or more on for "course credit" or is it "advanced credit" by just mere fact of having the PhD? if its advanced credit doesn't that automatically disqualify them for licensure?

bts4202
06-08-2004, 07:56 PM
I don't admit them so I have no idea what they do or don't have to do. I would imagine that all the proffs have to proove their competency prior to being hired anyway.

However, not all places in the US have to take a test. I am quite well aware that some places in the US do require an exam, but some places will just give you credit if you have a PhD in a subject of medical school. For example, if you have a PhD in Biochemistry, you will most likely not have to retake biochemistry in medical school. Each school has the opportunity to make that decision on their own though. While one school may say your credit is welcome, another may say you have to retake it. Especially schools that have PBL, they are likley to make you retake a course or make you take an exam to proove that you have learned all the clinical things they wish for you to have mastered during that course. In subject based, it is a little more cut and dry.

BTW, they do call it advanced placement:

http://www.kcom.edu/newcatalog/admissions/credit.htm

Advanced Standing

Admitted students who hold a Ph.D. and who receive course credit by comprehensive examination or students who transfer from an eligible medical school may receive advanced standing; that is, they may be placed in an advanced class at KCOM. All transfer students must complete at least the last two years of their education at KCOM. For example, an eligible student might be placed in the second-year curriculum upon entering KCOM. Such advanced standing will depend on courses for which advanced credit is earned or courses which are transferred from another medical school. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in consultation with the Registrar shall make final decisions concerning advanced class standing.

Actually, they have both

Course Credit

Petitions for course credit based on an earned Ph.D. should be submitted in writing to the Director of Admissions. All transcripts and admission forms must be completed and received by the University before advanced standing will be considered. Petitions must be submitted at least four weeks prior to the start of class.

Potential advanced credit for specific courses will be determined by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in consultation with the Admissions Committee. Once eligible courses have been determined, the applicant will be given comprehensive exams, designed and administered by the appropriate department chairperson. The applicant must score an 80 percent or higher to receive advanced credit. All testing and decisions for advanced credit must occur before the applicant's first day of classes.

The applicant must be interviewed, accepted for admission, and pay all appropriate fees, prior to taking any comprehensive exams.

AUCMD2006
06-09-2004, 09:21 AM
since you like word games...

i've looked at twenty or so schools and none of them stated no exam required each said students can test out of areas of expertise some didn't mention a PhD requirement but all said exam was required. just something for current students to keep an eye on come licensure time (not residency) when they ask all the tough questions and go through your entire life.

bts4202
06-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Well, as I said before. I am not involved in any type of admissions/evaluation/hiring/whatever type stuff so I have no idea what they are or are not required to do. They could have to dance a jigg for all I know...lol.

BTW, whats up with your new avatar... I LIKE IT.. hehe

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.