PDA

View Full Version : Avies

islandthrift
10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Please add your thoughts!

NO Advertising!

medic300107
11-14-2009, 03:46 PM
2nd semester in the new avies. what most ppl don't know is there is a "new" new avies and an old new avies. the new new avies is about a yr newer and they are virtually the same exact apt except the old new avies has 19" crt tv and the new new avies has 21" lcd tvs. Rent is really pretty good for what you get. The apt is clean and the maid comes 3x a week. Sometimes you feel like that is much but anytime you want you can leave a note on the door and say not to come that day and they respect that. They will even try to come later if you tell them you like to sleep in so no worries there. The laundry is nice because I leave my laundry bag by the door (inside) on my way out to class in the morning and the maid will bring it to the laundry facility when she cleans the apt. they drop it back off at your door and the charges are added onto your rent for the month. They do charge extra for cable and internet, but you have Fiber Optic internet here. For those that like computers we're talking about average 3Mb/s downloads from torrents and the like. Fast as 5Mb/s at times. Cable is usual package for the island and includes a few movie channels as well as all the major US networks including ESPN and since this is med school - Disc Health. Bed's here are nice, queen size I think. I say this since it looks a little smaller than a queen but def bigger than a full. Figure that one out. Water pressure is great in the old new avies, a friend from new new avies on the top floor had almost no water pressure in the sinks. Rent for my building is $650 USD/ mo and with all utilities (except electric) and laundry factored in about $720 USD/mo. I am about 2 minutes walking from Tomato (trust me you'll get to know this place) and 5 minutes to the main gate. You can catch the shuttle from main gate to annex for 1st semester and to do this you should leave your apt no later than 15 min before start of class. It's decently close to all the stores and food around campus. There is a backup generator that seems to work very well, bars on all windows that can be accessed without a ladder, and night security. Overall great apt and would highly recommend, a lot of people are trying to get in here so I know for now there is a 2 page waiting list. You won't find that long a list at most places.

Sheila503
01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I was at Old avies for a week, the landlord is an ***!! And his wife is worse!! i know a lot of people had good experiences here but sire didn't! I was in a triple, very cheap, because it was pretty much all that was left when i applied for housing. There was serious drainage problem and a stinky brown leak that would spread across the main living space. The landlord denied that i was a big problem and kept getting the maid to clean it so no one would notice. It got so bad that we had to ask ross housing to get involved, and finally was able to break the lease...

So my advice, don't get a triple!

Caduseus
05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
The landlord is completely obnoxious and unaccommodating and they'll keep on making up new "fees" after you've already moved in there. Now I know that there are many other, nicer, apartments available in the campus area for the amount they charge at Avies Ville and at least you won't have to deal with a complete Bi*** for a landlord. And to top it off I had to fly through fire hoops to get my security deposit back. Needless to say, I regret choosing this place and would NOT recommend anyone live there.

medic300107
05-31-2010, 06:58 PM
from their website in big red bold letters:

Tenants are responsible for electricity, there is a 5% VAT, cable is optional and costs $21.53, and internet (fibre optic) is $33 and payable to LIME

Not sure what "hidden" fees you are talking about. I knew I would have to pay before I moved in and that was over a year ago. I've had nothing but great care from them, if I say something is broken it's fixed in a day or two. No bugs, and please tell me what apts are cheaper and cleaner that are closer to campus than New Avies?

medic300107
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Also for my security deposit I walked into the office, handed in my keys, and received US Cash right there. They didn't even check my apt. This might have been b/c they consistently thanked me for having such a clean apt. (Yeah I know weird for a bachelor right?) but hey, it was easy as pie. (however easy pie is :P )

sesigs
03-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Also for my security deposit I walked into the office, handed in my keys, and received US Cash right there. They didn't even check my apt. This might have been b/c they consistently thanked me for having such a clean apt. (Yeah I know weird for a bachelor right?) but hey, it was easy as pie. (however easy pie is :P )

On their website they divide rent packages into Avies Ville "Luxury" and Avies Ville "Comfort". The "Luxury" single in $650 so I am assuming based on the price this is the building you were in? Either way they look like nice places. And again, if you forgot, this is the female coming down alone whose fiance is overly paranoid about safety. This seems close the main gate of school though. Thoughts? (You are easily the most helpful person on here, Medic. Thank you!)

MDgirl
03-11-2011, 01:19 PM
I lived at Avies all 16 months. I was very comfortable, there were not many bugs there, I had everything I needed. I fully believe that Avies contributed to me doing well at Ross. I never had to worry about anything in terms of housing. The landlord's wife can be a tough cookie, but if youre nice to her, she'll respect your wishes. I think you can't go wrong with this apartment and I am very thankful for them that is why I felt the need to write a good review for them. Its probably THE nicest apartment for its price on campus.:)

Ross2011
03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Do I need to bring a converter with me and if so, around what voltage?

medic300107
03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
On their website they divide rent packages into Avies Ville "Luxury" and Avies Ville "Comfort". The "Luxury" single in $650 so I am assuming based on the price this is the building you were in? Either way they look like nice places. And again, if you forgot, this is the female coming down alone whose fiance is overly paranoid about safety. This seems close the main gate of school though. Thoughts? (You are easily the most helpful person on here, Medic. Thank you!)

Luxury for $650 is the one you want, don't bother with the $750 one. You just get a bigger TV. Also I can't remember if you said a spouse was coming or not, from what I remember they don't do spouses at their places. You can call and ask, maybe even negotiate something. (I think b/c the water and cleaning might be more? poor excuse really). It is very safe, night security most nights 12a-6a, close to campus 5 min walk, clean, and bars on windows, generator, etc. Internet and cable are extra about $60/mo but the internet is blazing fast (like verizon Fios fast). You will need your own ethernet cable or router (with ethernet cable) if you choose to live there.

Do I need to bring a converter with me and if so, around what voltage?

No all outlets are 120v. I would def recommend a surge protector, a good one. I had a couple instances where the power surged and i got a little shock from my laptop. Not bad, but enough to say ***. (They did come next day and redo my outlets just in case).

sesigs
03-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Luxury for $650 is the one you want, don't bother with the $750 one. You just get a bigger TV. Also I can't remember if you said a spouse was coming or not, from what I remember they don't do spouses at their places. You can call and ask, maybe even negotiate something. (I think b/c the water and cleaning might be more? poor excuse really). It is very safe, night security most nights 12a-6a, close to campus 5 min walk, clean, and bars on windows, generator, etc. Internet and cable are extra about $60/mo but the internet is blazing fast (like verizon Fios fast). You will need your own ethernet cable or router (with ethernet cable) if you choose to live there.

I'll be coming alone so that shouldn't be a problem. I will be starting in January 2012 so I am going to try to get in here. Thanks for all of the help!

ross2015
07-01-2011, 03:08 PM
the only review for a triple on here was horrible, so I was just wondering if anyone had any different experience with a triple, was it horrible, decent or awesome!

dresden
08-09-2011, 12:10 PM
In addition to the last post, has any family rented a triple. My wife and I + 2 kids are seriously considering these apts. and we would love to hear from any family that rented here. Thank you!

ross2015
09-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I'll chime in on the triple since I ended up getting it. It is dirt cheap (320 US), so don't expect too much. We didn't get any appliances other than the stove and a fridge. We all have our own bathrooms, and each room has its own AC unit. There is a generator and it works fine. It's not the most beautiful apartment but it gets the job done. I only come back home to sleep, so it's fine for me and my roommates. I haven't really had any problems yet. We did end up buying a microwave, b/c that was a necessity, at least for us. I haven't had any bug problems. maid service three times a week, and our maid is very nice. I've talked to her a bunch of times, and they all are very nice people. The laundry service is quick and I haven't lost anything yet, so I'm happy about that.

As far as family living goes, I'm a single student here, so I wouldn't know what exactly you are looking for. Is it safe for kids? I'd say yes. There is also a security guard. I guess if you have specific questions about the triple just pm, and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Adenangel
10-22-2011, 06:10 PM
helpful i have friends who lived at avies.. not bad

medicine7886
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Hello!!:-D I am interested in living on the upper floors of New Avies for either the 650 or 750 apartment.

If anyone has had friends live here before, or themselves have, please let me know if you had any issues with the apartment with regards to:

bugs/rodents
internet/Cable
kitchen utilities
hot water in showers or everywhere?, water pressure on upper floors
phone reception in room
security (bars on windows or bolts on doors)
maid service (aka stealing?)
air conditioning/room temperature for upper apartments
security deposit issues/rent issues before the housing database opens, or the landlord.

I really appreciate your help!

medic300107
07-11-2012, 11:30 PM
1) merging with housing thread on the apartment complex.
2) read my posts on page 1
3) hot water shower only, most all places will be like this as the hot water is a little red switch you hit. you don't want to leave it on or you'll have no electricity.
4) phone reception was ok, not great not umbearable. Sometimes I did have to leave the phone near the window.
5) My maid was amazing, I left her 200 EC when I left b/c I loved her that much.
6) My a/c usually worked great, Avies is great about standard maintenance and such. The unit will cool the bedroom easily, the rest will take time. Most people (not just avies) have a fan or two for the other rooms and leave the A/C on and door open if they will be out of their bedroom. But honestly if you want cool most people don't venture out of the bedroom unless it's for a quick meal or something.
7) I loved the landlords for the most part they were very responsive and quick. I asked for a new bed as the old mattress was def worn and I had a new one the next day. Trust me this is UNUSUAL for the DOM.

Good luck!

anabanana
08-08-2012, 04:22 AM
New Avies is a really nice place, new pool and sulfur hot tub, cleaning people come 3 x a week...I have lots of friends that live here. but I ABSOLUTELY wouldnt live here myself....the staff/owners suck. I've had friends get scolded at for the dumbest stuff....storing other peoples clothes in their living rooms while helping them move out, "breaking" the arms off flimsy computer chairs they have there (they break just by sitting in them....had this happen to a couple friends and they got charged either 200 EC or US but either way not worth that price), cleaning ladies complaining to the owners about you and ratting you out for stupid stuff. If you can deal with man's best friend staff though this place seems worth it I guess, I've had friends stay all 4 semesters pretty comfortably, but I've also heard all their complaints throughout that time, so take it or leave it.

anabanana
08-08-2012, 04:32 AM
in regards to your question: (friends live there, I spend a lot of time over there)

bugs/rodents- havent heard of any

internet/Cable- I think you need your own router for wireless but works great, cable...i think you pay extra to get channels that arent weird chinese/dominican ones

kitchen utilities- new, modern, american plugs

hot water in showers or everywhere?, water pressure on upper floors- hot, ive heard of a lot of people with bad/no pressure though, maybe when lots of other people are showering. I have heard thats improved a bit after they finished construction of their swimming pool

phone reception in room- i always have reception when im at my friends place

security (bars on windows or bolts on doors)- keep your door locked, had a friends ipad get stolen right out of his apartment. theres a security guard but I've never really stopped someone from coming in or even questioning them

maid service (aka stealing?)- havent heard of stealing. they come 3 times a week which is cool, but ive had some friends complain about their cleaning ladies nagging them over stupid issues (see my above post)

air conditioning/room temperature for upper apartments- nice and cool

security deposit issues/rent issues before the housing database opens, or the landlord- dunno.

medic300107
08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
does new avies have a pool now?! also for internet there they include an ethernet jack already in the room ready to go (provided you pay for internet). That being said if you want wifi you can install your own wireless router however when I was there my Linksys 54g (standard linksys router) had poor penetration through those concrete walls. Couldn't get signal 50ft away through 2 walls in a friends place. So if wifi is a must then go for it you'll have great internet in your apt.

hmania
02-07-2014, 05:28 AM
Hi all, I'm looking at the singles part of this apartment. There is the luxurious singles and the singles room.... With the difference being the bedsize. Anything else for the difference of $130 in price? The description was pretty vague online.

medic300107
02-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi all, I'm looking at the singles part of this apartment. There is the luxurious singles and the singles room.... With the difference being the bedsize. Anything else for the difference of $130 in price? The description was pretty vague online.

I haven't been there since Aug 2010 but if you are talking about the two "new avies" buildings then I lived in the "older" one which was plenty for me. The more expensive one's have newer TVs as well. Not sure what else is different now.

hmania
02-07-2014, 04:56 PM
I haven't been there since Aug 2010 but if you are talking about the two "new avies" buildings then I lived in the "older" one which was plenty for me. The more expensive one's have newer TVs as well. Not sure what else is different now.

If its just the TV... Does anybody have time for TV when in medical school?!

medic300107
02-26-2015, 10:27 PM
If its just the TV... Does anybody have time for TV when in medical school?!

Honestly not a ton. Most people use netflix and shared downloaded TV shows and movies as well. Either way I loved Avies but there may be newer or better options since I haven't been on the island in almost 5 years.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.