PDA

View Full Version : crime on St Kitts

10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I heard the vet school is good but that the students are targets for crime. Can someone speak about the crime on St. Kitts.

IMGNY
10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Having lived there for many years, it is known that gay male students cruise the bay area at nights and often encounter trouble. Some have been arrested, and imprisoned.

Hiphopononomous
10-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Most crime on the island seems to come from putting yourself in bad situations. Dont leave expensive items unattended, make sure to lock your doors, and dont wander around the Strip drunk and alone. Basically the same mentality of living in a big city and avoiding crime.

mmc
10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I totally disagree. Having gone to Ross and quit, it doesn't matter how careful you are. I was attacked by a man with a machete who was waiting for me in my apartment. While I was there, other people got raped on their way to school, jumped while they were jogging, robbed outside their apartment etc. I think almost half the people down there have been robbed. We were constantly getting emails about new scams. Some people were pumping gas into your apartment so you wouldn't wake up while they broke in. They would even purposefully injure animals and lay them on the side of the road knowing the vet students would stop to help and then rob them at knifepoint. If you're thinking of going to Ross you are seriously putting your life at risk! I wouldn't recommend it.

mmc
10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
The thing about St Kitts that makes it so much worse is that there are no consequences for crime. No one answers 911 calls. The police don't care unless its drug related and they can get some money out of it.

Trillium
10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
I totally disagree. Having gone to Ross and quit, it doesn't matter how careful you are. I was attacked by a man with a machete who was waiting for me in my apartment. While I was there, other people got raped on their way to school, jumped while they were jogging, robbed outside their apartment etc. I think almost half the people down there have been robbed. We were constantly getting emails about new scams. Some people were pumping gas into your apartment so you wouldn't wake up while they broke in. They would even purposefully injure animals and lay them on the side of the road knowing the vet students would stop to help and then rob them at knifepoint. If you're thinking of going to Ross you are seriously putting your life at risk! I wouldn't recommend it.

This island is turning out to be a skeleton in Ross' closet.

sweetsunshine08
10-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I left the island after I was also brutally attacked by several men in my own home ( in Frigate Bay) while attending school in St. Kitts earlier this year. The police did very little in terms of investigating. It took them months and months to bring the charges against someone . It turned out one of my attackers was actually a med student at UMHS at the time of the crime. Once he was charged, he fled the island and the rest of the investigation came to a halt. UMHS did nothing at all. It is not the safest place.

I know the taxi cab stand across from Golfview Apartments in Frigate Bay was also robbed at gunpoint this summer ( you can search for that online and the St. Kitts Observer covered the story).

I have friends who lived in Horizons Villa in Frigate Bay and there were multiple break ins there this year as well. Frigate Bay is supposed to be considered a "safe area."

I just read on sknvibes.com that 2 women were sexually assaulted in St. Kitts Saturday.

If you have a choice between SMU Vet school in Grand Cayman or Ross, I would go with SMU because Grand Cayman is a much safer island to live on than St. Kitts. You will be much safer in Cayman where are actually consequences for criminals, compared to St. Kitts where it seems that the police have a very relaxed attitude.

MedMan87
10-18-2009, 11:21 PM
I was also brutally attacked by several men in my own home ( in Frigate Bay) while attending school in St. Kitts earlier this year. It turned out one of my attackers was actually a med student at UMHS at the time of the crime. The police did very little. The school did nothing at all. It is not the safest place.

I know the taxi cab stand across from Golfview Apartments in Frigate Bay was also robbed at gunpoint this summer ( you can search for that online and the St. Kitts Observer covered the story).

I have friends who lived in Horizons Villa in Frigate Bay and there were multiple break ins there this year as well. Frigate Bay is supposed to be considered a "safe area."

I just read on sknvibes.com that 2 women were sexually assaulted in St. Kitts Saturday.

If you have a choice between SMU Vet school in Grand Cayman or Ross, I would go with SMU because Grand Cayman is a much safer island to live on than St. Kitts. You will be much safer in Cayman where are actually consequences for criminals, compared to St. Kitts where it seems that the police have a very relaxed attitude.

Thanks for the input, i find the very thought of having a crime committed against me without any repercussion for the criminals disgusting.

sweetsunshine08
10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the input, i find the very thought of having a crime committed against me without any repercussion for the criminals disgusting.

Thank you MedMan87. It has been very frustrating knowing the men who committed the crime against me got off without any consequences for their actions.

sweetsunshine08
10-18-2009, 11:52 PM

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Thank you for sharing your story.

curiousvet
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow those are not small crimes, and have made me totally re-think about applying there that is scary. I'm so sorry for all of you. I hope you were able to continue vet school somewhere else?

vetpatan
09-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Wow those are not small crimes, and have made me totally re-think about applying there that is scary. I'm so sorry for all of you. I hope you were able to continue vet school somewhere else?

Oh yeah.... Think it twice. Ross know about everything, but they just want to sell. In the island you are on your own. Beside all the bad things the island have to offer, ross u. does not want you to know the bad situations that you may have to be able to deal in your transition. Of course they will give you a week orientation prior the first day of class, but like it happen before, there are a few students that reconsider during that time if it is a good idea to stay or not. This incoming semester was not an exception, and a student left after 5 days in the island. There are a lot of skeletons in the closet and even Ross administration does not want to students to talk to the ones that are considering to come here about the island experience in their big brother program. Good luck.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.