PDA

View Full Version : Pucmm starting my journey

DR. combat medic
09-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone just wanted to say hi and introduce myself
I'm a former army combat medic ( 2 tours in Iraq).
I'm starting the task of going to PUCMM in Santiago Dominican Republic
Im a Dominican born US citizen so i have my reasons for going to school in Dominican Republic i have 4 familiy members that graduateed from med school in The UASD and my best friend is dental school in the PUCMM also i have a Cousin in Med school in UTESA
so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and i shall try and find out

as far as my endevor i have already gone to see addmisions at PUCMM i picked up the packet and am now waiting on my transcpits to send in everything if anyone needs info on the proces let me know and i can help as much as i can

neways thankyou to all you DR's and Future DR's hope to get and give great input

Jua10
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey, Dr. Combat Medic!..
I recently graduated from HS this pass June and I'll be taking the admissions test to get into PUCMM on November 14th in Santiago de los Caballeros..
However, as I was reading your post it came to my attention that you spoke about some packet PUCMM had given you, I did not receive a package when I went to ask questions about the school and the whole admissions process, what does your package contains?
I'm really scared about the admissions test, do you know if its really hard, how long does it takes and in how many days do they inform you if your admitted to the school?

P.S. I'm asking you these questions, since your bestfriend is in PUCMM... If there any other information you might know, it would be very helpful for me!..

Thank You:D

DR. combat medic
09-11-2009, 01:36 PM
well the packet that they give you is more like a little folder that's the admissions form and and inside it i got the req's, the cost of tuition and fees, the req's for us students, the updated curriculum, and info on tuition assistance i went with a friend of a friend that works there so they hooked me up but you can go to each department and and get the same stuff if you haven't already or you can ask me and i can inform you as much as i can

as far as the exam goes i hear that it is not that hard but you should still study. the exam is mostly math and spanish but there is also a psycological part that determines your ability to learn very few ppl fail the exam but you should still study up on geometry algebra and trigonometry, also you should study espanol castellano or spanish for speackers and you should be good
good luck and i hope to see you there in november

also are you planing to start in jan? maybe you need a study partner? and are you in santiago now or are you going there?

Jua10
09-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah...I'm planning to start in January {hopefully}...And no, I'm not currently in DR, but ill be flying there soon!..

Regarding to money, in your package does it states, how much is the cost of tuition and fees?

I'm sorry for bothering you, but where are you right now? Do you know how long is the test? and when do they inform us about our acceptance?

Thank you!..:D

P.S. Your being a great help!...and I would keep asking you questions!..lol..sorry!

DR. combat medic
09-15-2009, 08:14 AM
i also hope for a January start
as far as tuition and fees go
it really depends if you are eligible to pay as a Dominican or as a foreign national

if you can pay as a Dominican the tuition is about 1100 pesos per credit and the fee is about 9000 if you are using federal loans then you pay that amount but in dollars at the current rate
if you are foreign then you pay 150 dollars per credit and about 300 dollars for fees
im in currently in Florida because i have to get all my paper work done and get the department of state certification done so i can submit my paper work but ill be heading back home in about a month or two
as far as the test goes i dont know exactly how long it is but i can try and find out and also i was told that you get the results back in about a week maybe two depending on how many ppl take it but you will know if you got in before december

and dont worry about the questions its my pleasure to help theres not much info about dominican medical schools here so i figured i would help

prbaby4e
10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Are you guys applying for the fasfa or any other type of help? Do they accept that there? Also, which campus are you guys going to be at?

mitsycat7
10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Hello, Im interested in going to DR for med school and I speak English and I wanted to know whats the best school for English speakers, as far as teaching in english? I done some research and the schools never mention if they teach in english, also some of the websites are in spanish. I live in new york city and I planned on goining there possibly next september. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks

prbaby4e
10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I have been reading on here that UNIBE is the best for english speakers. Put that one in a search and you should get some good results to help you.

jimmy1980
10-27-2009, 07:44 AM
i also hope for a January start
as far as tuition and fees go
it really depends if you are eligible to pay as a Dominican or as a foreign national

if you can pay as a Dominican the tuition is about 1100 pesos per credit and the fee is about 9000 if you are using federal loans then you pay that amount but in dollars at the current rate
if you are foreign then you pay 150 dollars per credit and about 300 dollars for fees
im in currently in Florida because i have to get all my paper work done and get the department of state certification done so i can submit my paper work but ill be heading back home in about a month or two
as far as the test goes i dont know exactly how long it is but i can try and find out and also i was told that you get the results back in about a week maybe two depending on how many ppl take it but you will know if you got in before december

and dont worry about the questions its my pleasure to help theres not much info about dominican medical schools here so i figured i would help

I was looking at the website and the tuition is 1100 pesos for dominicans only not for foreign or international students. If you were not born there you have to pay 150 per credit so we are looking at 40+ thousand dollars. That is a little bit too much. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanx

DR. combat medic
10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
yes it would be 40+ but if you think that is alot for a med degree from scratch, in the best school in the dominican republic when even the worst med school in the states will cost you 100+ its still a pretty good deal
and you can always apply for the fafsa loans that will cover the cost 100%

DR. combat medic
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
they do accept fafsa at the pucmm they have some people at admissions that can help you fill out the paperwork you do have to make a deposit of about 300 dollars every semester until they get the check in the system form fafsa
and the med program is only givin at the santiago campus you can do the first semester in the capital but after that you have to transfer to santiago

but me myself will be in santiago that cost of living is alot better and the stress of the city is alot more laid back

DR. combat medic
11-14-2009, 04:32 PM
well i got all my paper work in order its a bit different for me because i am a Dominican national but i can help with foreign citizens if anyone needs it

step1- is to get high school diploma and transcripts and report cards for last 4 years
step2- get them notarized
step3- send all papers to your state department to get an apostille certificate for each (make sure it says apostille as i had a hard time with Florida)
step4- take all documents to a Dominican translator
step5- take all documents to "procuraduria" in the capital to get a legal stamp per translation
step6- get a "acta de nacimiento legalizada", a copy of cedula or passport,
step7- take copys and originals of all documets to secretaria de estudios to get the homologacion
step8- fill out the pre addmissions online at pucmm.edu.do
step9- get a "certificado medico" from any doctor in DOM REP
step10- bring certificado medico, all your high school report cards and transcripts, copy of cedula, high school diploma, acta de nacimiento official,2 photos 2x2, a recipte from the tresuray for DR400.00 (tramites de addmision) and the homologacion (or the paper for an extencion that they give you at secretaria)

after all that you get a "matriculation" number and a date,time and place of your addmissions exam.

cardona
11-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi im another one thats planning on studying at PUCMM in santiago. I'm starting to do some papers of a transfer from the UCE(really hate it man :/). Still i wanna know if its WAY too hard or WAY too easy because in the UCE I studied like 10 chapters and got for an exam a letter maze (yes a lettermaze....letter soup...tracing lines...) and he gave me in an exam a 9 of 15 just because i was a puertorican doing the whole exam perfect. The other question its if the sistem is a module one. you can contact me at my msn r c q u c e (at) g m a i l (dot) com

zaintekv
11-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Thank you Dr Combat Medic. It was a very thorough outline you have described! Well Done.

DR. combat medic
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
hey all your welcome for the advice if anyone needs any direct help just let me know

cardona as far as the exam goes the entrance exam is basic stuff high school math and high school spanish for speakers with alot of grammar
there is also a psychological test that is just grouping pics its basically a logic test and an English exam that is a piece of cake there is a listening part an reading part and a writing part and then once you pass that there is an oral part

as far as the exames in the classes themselves there are hard test but i have never heard of someone getting bad grads cuz they where from another country they are not forigner friendly per say but there are alot of forigners there
and no medicine is not in modulos it is all indivudual classes wich i belive its better you can take a full load or go easy and if you fail one class it wont put you back to far

well if any one needs more help just let me know

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.