PDA

View Full Version : Banking

sweet2826
08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
How do students usually handle banking?

tahaa
08-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Good question. The best in my opinion is to open a Dominican account at one of the many banks here. Scotiabank did a presentation during orientation when i first got here. Hopefully they will be on campus again to inform those interested in the details. There are also many other banks such as BHD and BanReservas some won't allow you to open an account. Having an account makes it easy to recieve transfers from other bank accounts.

Also Western Union makes it easy to get money wired in an emergency although it is pretty expensive.

Good Luck

sweet2826
08-22-2009, 03:26 AM
So when you first came down there, how did you handle getting your account trasnferred over, did you carry cash in had, travelors checks, or wire money? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this, thanks!

booger eater
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Scotiabank is good because from what I understand they don't charge you fees on ATM withdrawals, even if you use a Card from another Bank.

Also, what you can do when you first arrive is to take your DEBIT Card (visa based) and go to a bank i.e Banco Popular. ONce there, stand in line and ask for a withdrawal from you account in the states. They will run your card, have you sign a receipt, and take a copy of your passport.

DR. combat medic
09-17-2009, 01:23 PM
just a little fyi for all you new folks to DR
dont use western union i send money via
XOOM.com they will ship your money to caribe express or bhd and then you can get the money sent to your house western union is ridiculos and expensive
you can actually set up a bank account in DR and get the money deposited straight from you account in the states
you can send up to 2999 for about 5 dollars

just a little info From a Dominican Native

Frankb250
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Well I'm new here but I had a chase account and what I just do is to just use it normally I mean the fees are like 2 Dollars the same it would be in the state soo I have anyone who wants to send me money deposit it in Dollars in US and I use it over here =] Free money shipping? without the hassle of XOOM.COM or Western Union

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.