PDA

View Full Version : Communication once you get here

tahaa
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I've seen a few prospective students post about getting a phone once they get here.

There are several phone companies in the DR. I suggest first getting a cell phone because it is easy and cheap. There are 3 mobile phone companies.
They offer prepaid card plans and monthly plans. It is relatively cheap especially if you come with an unlocked phone. Then you can get a sim card for almost free. If you don't have one don't worry, you can get one really cheap, or if you want to try, you may find someone here to unlock it for as low as 50 pesos.

Orange (orange.com.do)

Claro (claro.com.do)

Viva (viva.com.do)

The first two are the most popular. Viva is the newest company and is less popular but you shouldn't have any problems buying prepaid cards, they sell them everywhere with vendors in the streets and most colmado's carry them all also.

There is an orange shop close to school on Av. Francia after the Aquamatic Laundromat. The claro shop is just after right across from Av. Francia #83.

There are also shops in all the major malls and supermarkets it is very easy to get a cell phone line in this country it will be a breeze don't stress about it people even if you don't speak spanish.

For those of you who are looking for a challenge try getting a land line and internet hooked up. This is not easy for many reasons, they have strict criteria if you want to sign up, they may ask for some personal information, the technicians work hours that may conflict with your class schedule, etc.
Regardless it has been successfully done many times and if the apartment you are renting doesn't include phone and internet you may have to hook it up. Here's how.

There are three main internet service providers: Onemax, Codetel, and Tricom. There is also Aster but I do no know much about that country.

Onemax (onemax.com.do)
they have several offices and you can sign up on the spot. this is by far the easiest way to get internet. You pay your first month and they instantly hand you a wireless modem and a voip telephone that plugs into the modem and there you have it! It is affordable but not the most reliable and if you don't pay by the end of the month they cut your service right away and won't reconnect till the day you pay. you may need to search for an ideal place to put the modem in your apartment or you won't get any service.

Codetel (codetel.com.do)
The most reliable internet service provider and telephone service. They offer many plans and have the fastest internet in the country. if your spanish is not up to par than you may want to get a friend to help. they do require personal information such as bank statements before they will approve installation. they are a little mroe forgiving with late payments. you can sign up at many of their locations including at the mall.

Tricom (tricom.com.do)
offer cable, voip and internet, i'm not as familiar with this company but it is competitvely priced, and somewhat reliable from what I hear. The internet is cable dsl and can be pretty fast. May be a good idea if you need cabletv.

Aster (aster.com.do)
Check the website for info.

Sky (No Suscriptor - Conoce los beneficios de pertenecer a SKY (http://www.sky.com.mx/nosusc/int/rep_dominicana/))
For those looking for cable, an alternative may be sky satellite, my friend just go hooked up and loves it.

Good luck everyone.

sweet2826
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks!

Are the prepaid phones only for use in the DR or can international calls be made with them. What type of unlocked phone would you recommend? What type of plan would I need to make mobile international calls?

tahaa
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
You can use the prepaid ones to call international. My suggestion don't bring anything too expensive or flashy.

sweet2826
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
So where do Skype and Vonage come into play? Will any unlocked phone work or are there certain kinds that work better than others? Also would you recommend a MAC or a PC?

tahaa
07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Skype and Vonage are for students who are looking to save money when calling long distance. You need an internet connection to use those options.

Mac or PC? :faint:

mspoohbear
07-22-2009, 01:07 PM
What do you mean unlocked phone?

mj

tahaa
07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
If the cell phone is unlocked, it will recognize a SIM card from any carrier. The "lock" is a software setting that keeps the cell phone "loyal" to one carrier.

Gomosa
08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
you can also use "magicjack" -- im Dominican, but I live in states, so we bought it for our family menbers in DR and all you have to do is connect it to either a modem or computer/laptop and a telephone - its like vonage, except you only pay for buying it, and then annually something like $40, and you can have a phone number with a US area code, also they sell them in walmart - at least here in FL. Best of Luck!!!!

psik
08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
What do you mean unlocked phone?

mj

every cell phone carrier place a lock code on their phones, so you can only use their GSM phone to that perticualr carrier. GSM carriers are T-mobile and AT&T, (may be Altel) iF if you get one of their quad ban(850/900/1800/1900 frequency) unlocked either though the carrier store or the unlock shopes or buy unlock codes and instruction on ebay, you can use your phone with any GSM carrier arround the world. Now keep in mind, that Sprint, MetroPCs and Verizon are not GSM, It's not worthed to unlock their phones because there are not many courntries use TDMA services, unless you are going to live in N. Korea (only cournty I know that use TDMA). Good luck.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.