PDA

View Full Version : Physicians "Of a certain age" (this will be a yawn for you younger people)

JKelsey
07-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I have been reading prior threads with regards to age (see older posts) with great interest as my husband is probably going to be applying to UNIBE shortly. We are both in our 40's. I believe that age issues will be addressed more and more in the future as the average American worker will stay employed until much later in life. The notion that retirement occurs at a certain age, for my parents and in-laws - late 50's, was much more achievable in their generation as they had the benefit of pensions, social security, and medicare. Jobs were even kept for decades! Imagine that! I am pragmatic and don't expect any of these things to be available for me. Times are changing DRAMATICALLY. I don't consider myself to be anywhere near as smart as you medical types, but I do hear that life expectancies are going up. Hollywood, for their own self-serving reasons, tell us 50 is the new 30 and so on. I think there is some truth to this. We find that age is no longer a barrier to most anything except in the case where stamina is lost or a debilitating mental condition is present. All older physicians don't necessarily need to be able to perform hours of surgery. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't medical advances keeping us more physically fit and mentally acute than in any other era? Because of all the aforementioned reasons, I believe, age will be less an issue not just because I am midde-aged, but because of the evolution of the human being and the state of our present economy.

P.S. Please forgive me if I have stepped on anybody's toes or have made incorrect assumptions as I am just an outside observer; and would never consider the cerebral task of attending med school!

losackmd
07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
im not sure there was a question here. I graduated in 1980. i have practiced medicine for 29 years. Im not a conventional physician, i never lead a conventional physicians life, but i am more than qualified to add to your interesting thread.

you have to ask yourself this question and this one alone!

5 years from now if you/your husband doesnt go ahead and become a physician what will you think of yourself? You might say " geez im not a physician because i feared the age factor or IM glad i studied and beat the odds and now can help people and im only 48 49 50 whatever.
You are never too old to do anything if in your heart you feel you can do it and want it bad enough. I had colleagues in their late 30's early 40's in San Pedro. THEY DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!
The USA makes you feel old. They make a big F*&^*^& deal about your age, wont admit you unless you are new at shaving, think everyone is old to pasture after 30. ITS a sick attitude. in EUROPE and ELSEWHERE you can study at any age if youre disciplined and smart enough to study.
GO FOR IT
Age matters not. In fact you will have an advantage, there is nothing better than experience in life. Patients are not machines. Being human is important and few youngins know themselves at all. You will have life experience under your belt. A tremendous quality and attribute.
Im going to work out for an hour on the stair master right now and then maybe do 100000 pushups. Be all you can be.
just for everyones entertainment and knowledge about what a doctor should be i leave you all this
INDIA3829"ONLY HUMAN" on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glosackmd/3715460703/)

god bless u and stay at it youll make it........ i swear it.
dr Losack
A Psychiatrists view of the world (http://www.glennlosackmd.com)

Preacherman
08-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I am 33 and it does not bother that I am studying medicine now. There really was no other way for me to appreciate it as much as I do now. AND I still have not started yet. Sept 09 at UNIBE here I come.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.