PDA

View Full Version : JCU med?

tamsdivision
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm interested in hearing more about JCU's MBBS program. I'd love to hear from an international student in the program or one who will be starting?

redshifteffect
07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
JCU has a pretty decent program, but it's a fairly new school and that's not a good thing for undergraduate programs. There are several very well established undergraduate schools in Australia which have similar tuition fees and are well respected within Australia.

The only advantage of going to JCU is that Townsville is currently easy to get a job in, but Queensland as a whole is going to have a huge flood of medical students in the future and since every state gives preference to it's own graduates first you will be at a huge disadvantage graduating from Queensland.

dadoc
07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Dont go there unless you want to live in rural areas for long periods of time.

Its probably not even 40 state approved, which is saying something, and the program is a bit of a joke. I remember I applied there, but got bumped off because they gave all the spots to rural students, even if their marks werent great. Even so, I managed to get into a university with higher admissions criteria, so I though it was nothing less than pathetic on JCU's part.

tamsdivision
07-18-2009, 09:12 AM
JCU has a pretty decent program, but it's a fairly new school and that's not a good thing for undergraduate programs. There are several very well established undergraduate schools in Australia which have similar tuition fees and are well respected within Australia.

The only advantage of going to JCU is that Townsville is currently easy to get a job in, but Queensland as a whole is going to have a huge flood of medical students in the future and since every state gives preference to it's own graduates first you will be at a huge disadvantage graduating from Queensland.

Have you heard anything about graduates from the program? I'm Canadian and have an undergrad degree and have written the MCAT. I've applied to UQ as well. I really like the structure of the program at JCU. What other undergrad programs do you recommend? Also, what grad programs do you recommend?

redshifteffect
07-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Undergrad:
Monash
UTAS
UNSW
Uni of Adelaide
UWA

Grad:
USyd
Flinders

Those are established ones and the ones I'd look at first. There are still other good programs out there but use them as secondary choices.

The handful of grads I've talked to have all seemed like to JCU and feel happy about the program there. That's anecdotal though and I really have no hard data.

dadoc
07-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Usyd is grad???????

I have a friend who got straight into the undergrad program last year?

Maybe I am getting mixed up..? Im sure they have a 4 year udnergrad course which promotes you straight to med.

Or maybe your talking about international student?

redshifteffect
07-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Usyd is grad???????

I have a friend who got straight into the undergrad program last year?

Maybe I am getting mixed up..? Im sure they have a 4 year udnergrad course which promotes you straight to med.

Or maybe your talking about international student?

USyd was undergrad at one stage but hasn't been that way for quite a while. UNSW which is also in Sydney is undergrad entry, while USyd is grad entry. The grad entry at USyd requires a prior degree and is 4 years, while the undergrad entry at UNSW is for school leavers and is 6 years. They may have some advanced standing for a person with a degree, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

dadoc
07-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Its called combined science-Medicine.

Its their undergrad program, check it out.

redshifteffect
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info, I will.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.