PDA

View Full Version : Orientation

sweet2826
07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
What happens at orientation? I haven't really gotten any information from the school, and I would like to know what to expect. Do I need to bring anything? Do I have to attend both days. How long is it?

Cubanito76
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
What happens at orientation? I haven't really gotten any information from the school, and I would like to know what to expect. Do I need to bring anything? Do I have to attend both days. How long is it?

It's not mandatory. They take you around on a bus and might show you the colonial zone; maybe take you to the Jardin Botanico (like they did with me). It's pretty much all day the whole 2 days. They usually help you get your student visa. If you haven't got it, I recommend that you do so you won't have to pay exit and entrance fees at the airport. The best part about orientation is that you get to meet new people and make friends. Probably the same group that you will be around for the next 4-5 years.

sieunee
07-16-2009, 03:28 AM
It's not mandatory. They take you around on a bus and might show you the colonial zone; maybe take you to the Jardin Botanico (like they did with me). It's pretty much all day the whole 2 days. They usually help you get your student visa. If you haven't got it, I recommend that you do so you won't have to pay exit and entrance fees at the airport. The best part about orientation is that you get to meet new people and make friends. Probably the same group that you will be around for the next 4-5 years.

how do you get a student visa? and how much do you pay at the airport if you do not have it? thanks!

sweet2826
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I have heard the fee is only 10 USD

sieunee
07-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I have heard the fee is only 10 USD
i'll pay the fee then =)

tahaa
07-16-2009, 07:48 PM
It's not mandatory but I suggest you go. I went and got a prize for going!!! At the very least they'll give you lunch, help you sign up for health insurance, student visa ( i think it might be more than 10$). You get to meet people, some important professors and administrators will speak. You'll find out about housing opportunities and a general tour of the campus and surrounding area. Some people choose not to go, it's not gonna affect your GPA if you don't show up but you may feel a little lost at first. LOL!!!!

good luck everyone

Cubanito76
07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Get the visa. It's like 40 bucks or so but..

1. You have to pay $10 everytime you come into the country if you are not Dominican and without a visa. You have to buy a "tourist card". Whatever that is.

2. Everytime you leave the country you have to pay money. If you have stayed in the country 90 days or so, the fee is like 30 bucks. They keep raising the prices lately so I'm not sure what it is now. You can avoid this with a visa.

3. If you are a US citizen, airlines (especially Spirit) have been requiring you to buy a return ticket to the states. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it's true. If you're living here, people buy a roundtrip ticket from DR, but the airlines want you to buy ANOTHER ticket that returns you to the states. That sucks if you don't have the money at the time, or you really don't know when you will be going back home because you may not know the exact date classes end.

It's a hassle. You can avoid all of this with the student visa.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.