PDA

View Full Version : Aua vs st mathews

stonehaven
07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm a transfer student and i've been admitted at aua semester 3 and st mathews semester 4.
Which one should i choose?
Any suggestions?

kiddieMD
07-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I have actually attended both schools. I will give you the pros and cons of both schools.

St. Matthew's
Pros:
beautiful island
organized
transportation is easy (you can take the local bus to school its 2 CI)
Kaplan course during 5th semester
Great skills lab
sufficient detailed lectures
Great housing
Great course schedule (most of the classes depending on the semester are either in the morning or afternoon)
Cons:
very expensive
exams are really tough and the last time I was there you only had 3 exams and the shelf (Im not sure if that has changed)
5th semester is on the island
Licensure in Texas is not possible currently (got that information directly from the Texas State Medical Board)

AUA:
Pros:
Great new facilities
Many 5th semester options in the US
Ample changes to pass your class (the shelf exam and really help out)
Opportunities to take classes btw semesters
Less expensive than Cayman
School provides a shuttle in btw campuses
School has a bus system (which costs)
Many rotations in NY (supposedly)
5th semester in ATL provides a USMLE prep-like course
On campus bookstore

Cons:
Island sucks in comparison to Cayman
Unorganized
Intro Clinical medicine lab needs some major improvement (not sure if it has changed yet)
Long class schedule (in my experience)
Orientation sucks

This is only a small list. You really need to speak to students who have had positive and negative experiences. What was great for me might not be great for you. I hope you make the best decision.

l2930
08-23-2009, 01:40 AM
So, how far are you in the program?

docwahoo
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I actually got into both schools and chose AUA per the advice from my undergraduate college advisor. I have heard the island is nice but the school did not seem as organized during the admissions process (kept asking me to send in things I already had, etc.). Then I went in for my interview in AUA's NYC office right next to the NY Stock exchange and I figured that anyone able to afford that kind of realestate was a good investment. The new campus is cranking from a construction standpoint too. 5-10 years from now AUA should be a solid school and seems to be more on the up swing than St.M's I believe.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.