PDA

View Full Version : NEW ADMISSION POLICY FOR CLINICAL STUDENTS

bpaikatt
05-21-2004, 08:24 AM
I heard (and the keyword is HEARD) that St.Chris is only accepting students into the clinical science program who have passed STEP I. They are making this a core requirement for acceptance into their clinical program. So write those exams soon kiddies...

BP

bts4202
05-21-2004, 08:42 AM
I don't know if that rumour is true or not, but I am not surprised.

I have been telling people also that I think that the school will require its own students to have passed the boards before they can do any US clinicals in the near future as well. I have said it a couple times so i hope no one is too shocked if it really does happen.

It may be likely though, that the policy becomes like AUC's, where you can still do clerkships in the UK if you haven't taken step 1 yet. But that is pure speculation on my part.

OLDPRO
05-21-2004, 07:49 PM
I thought US schools were starting to require step 1 before clinicals too? It seems reasonable, Wouldn't it be harder to be in clinicals and study for step 1 too anyway? :)

Jaymed
05-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Hi guys....I had emailed st.chis clinical office and this gentleman Dr.Saeed who heads up the clinical affairs emailed back telling me that St.Christopher requires a pass in step 1 to proceed with clinicals. But I asked him that a few students in my semester had already set their clinicals up in Newyork and Atlanta...to which he replied by saying that they may have gotten special permission from Dr.*****. I didnt ask furthur..cause my *** intends on passing that shit before starting clinicals anyways. Its crazy trying toi juggle with step 1 and clinicals!

take care
Jay

anencephalic
05-22-2004, 07:19 AM
It may be likely though, that the policy becomes like AUC's, where you can still do clerkships in the UK if you haven't taken step 1 yet. But that is pure speculation on my part.

Actually, effective for the class matriculating September 2003 and all subsequent classes, all AUC students will be REQUIRED TO PASS STEP I before being allowed to start clinicals. It used to be the case that we could start our psych rotations before having our board scores, however, that policy has been done away with. Best of luck with whatever happens in St. Chris' case! :D

Aloha,

bpaikatt
05-22-2004, 08:36 AM
It is also evident that St.Matthews now requires STEP I for their clinicals too now. So it is true about St. Chris then eh? Most people who are doing clincials right now and haven't written the boards are an exception, because the entered their clinical years before the rule came into play. But it's true what people say....GET RID OF YOUR BOARDS!

Bob

bts4202
05-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Even without the rule, it is still just darn good advice... take the boards FIRST. It is soo worth it, the longer you wait the more you forget.

anencephalic
05-22-2004, 03:40 PM
The longer you wait the more you forget.

I hope I learn enough for the boards to have enough to forget! :shock:

Aloha,

bts4202
05-22-2004, 06:15 PM
The longer you wait the more you forget.

I hope I learn enough for the boards to have enough to forget! :shock:

Aloha,

If I remember correctly, you are still in basic sciences. If that is correct, just wait until you have taken Systemic pathology and you will realize how much you really do know. Before I took that course, I felt so insecure in my knowledge and thought that I would never be able to treat a patient and that I knew absolutely nothing. During that course, all the little facts that I thought were useless and actually thought I had forgotten came back to me and became perminantley ingrained in my head. It all makes sense after that course.

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine,

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.