PDA

View Full Version : Sept 2009 anyone?

sweet2826
07-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Anyone starting the medical program in Sept 2009. I will be starting, and want to see if anyone else is. I will be traveling to the DR at the end of the month and I am totally lost as to where to begin. I do not know anyone at all, and I am wondering if it will it be hard for me to adjust because I do not speak Spanish. (I am learning) Is it safe? How should I bank. Should I keep my bank accounts in the States? What about phones, would a GSM phone work, and do they have any good phones plans so that I can call the US daily? Where is a good place to find a reasonable ticket? When is the best time of the year to travel to the DR (flight cost). What is average day like for a med student? Any advice on anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A.Bush
07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
listen PM me and i will give you my email and stuff, I am also traveling to the DR at the end of the month and i have to find out all the same info as you, the cell phone ordeal, the banking,apartment,local spots,the works, if we go around the same time i will be more than willing to meet up with you, well god bless and don't fret to write back.

A.Bush
07-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I am starting the premedical program in September, I'm from Miami. All I know is that Dominicans are very nice people,like every other place in the world there are bad neighborhoods, but you will learn to stay clear from them. Now there might be a sense of culture shock due to the fact that you don't speak fluent Spanish. Don't be afraid, you are not the first person to embark on this journey, there are plenty of folk on this forum that went to La RD and did not know a word of Spanish but still got through school, became physicians and learned the language. What you are doing is an amazing thing, you are going to be learning one of the most used languages in the world.Doors will open for you and you will have backbone and firsthand cultural knowledge of a Latin American country. There definitely will be times when you will be tried and are going to have to surpass any boundaries you have concerning learning, you alone are the master of your education and future, so it should not matter were you go to learn as long as that spark and determination is in there. And if worse come to worse you will have many classmates that are on the same boat as you, and on a personal note i will be more than happy to help you in any way to help you learn spanish faster, I'm Hispanic.

Frankb250
07-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I will apply and hopefully attend September 09 as well ... umm you can pm me if you want but my father lives over there and i know a few other people over there so i think i'm a little better off... not much tho =\... pm me if you want =] ill give you my info no problem....

GreenEyz
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey. I am not sure which semester I will be coming. September 2009 or January 2010. I can tell you at first it is going to be a huge culture shock though. I am in Costa Rica right now and did it 6 months ago. I am going to transfer there though. I will be coming to visit in August. You will adjust very quickly and pick up spanish very fast. I am almost fluent already. It is the best decision I ever made. My advise is just do not be shy and afraid to make mistakes. It's the best way to learn.

sweet2826
07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks ABush! I look forward to coming out there

smm7407
07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm glad that there are lots of people that want to follow their dreams, be sure that all of you can make it.
First of all, don't close your USA accounts, here you will be able to open an account in BHD bank (banco hipotecario dominicano), just try to get a letter from your bank saying for how long you havethe account with then, a letter from UNIBE and your passport should be enough. once you arrive here you need to find a decent place to stay. Close to UNIBE you will find many choices in ave Francia with price going from $395 to $650 usd, is just up to you. Bring enough money for rent and to pass the first month to 1 1/2 month, do to finantial AID, that will disburse your check inabout that time. Language here is a barrier, but you will learn how to live with it at least for the beggining. If you want to learn the language, you will, just practice and practice. You will need to speak fluent Spanish by the time you start in clinical rotations. The safest areas to live are Gazcue, La Esperilla, El Vergel, Naco y Piantini. The last two are the most expensive and farther from UNIBE. Criminals are everywhere in the world, but here in DR you will find areas full of them. I will personally recomend you to try no to hang around late at night unless you have company and you must be careful. UNIBE is close to the Palacio de la Policia, but don't be fool, you will find out later on that even close to the palacio de la policia not necesarilly is safe. Try to use a taxi from Miraflores Taxi or Apolo Taxi, they are the taxi companies that usually work with UNIBE students. Once you call them they will tell you the unit number and the color of the taxi that will pick you up. I recomend you to always move around using only these companies that are the safest here. Public transport, I don't recomend it, you will find out later when you are here.
If I can serve of more help, please let me know.

smm7407
07-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I forgot. For a phone line I personally use vonage. You just need DSL or cable Internet and you can have a number from the states. I also heard about magic Jack, I don't know much about this one. For a cell phone, any cell phone with GSM technology is good. The cell companies here are CLARO, ORANGE, TRICOM and VIVA. I personally recomend the first 2.

Seyoum80
07-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Can someone start a facebook group, so we can keep in contact for before sept 09

belleangelie
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I could never imagine going to Dominican Republic not knowing a lick of Spanish your so brave lol

A.Bush
07-13-2009, 11:30 PM
hey well i made a facebook so if anyone wants to search the group its called FUTURE UNIBE STUDENTS, look at the bottom left hand corner under applications and press groups then search for it ask to join and i will approve you!!!

HELP ME SPREAD THE WORD!!!

CubanBSEE
07-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Guys quick question! How much money will stafford loans give you for the pre-med year? Do you know? I have checked and I think(not 100% sure) that it will not cover everything you need to live and pay for school down there. I am trying to take care of the pre-meds so I can go straight into year 2 of med school.

Rawr08
07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi,
My name is Aida Alvarez and I am planning on moving to Dominican Republic during either September 2009 or January 2010. I see that you are searching for a roomate, which I need as well. I'm trying to find a roomate over there who is compatible with me. I am very open minded, but i would like to live comfortably. My main priority is school ofcourse but i also like to enjoy life. I like going out and meeting new people, and I am willing to pay whatever it takes to live in a decent home which we can split. I enjoy the finer things in life meaning spending whatever to live comfortably. There would be no need to take a bus or taxi because I will bring my car as my transportation to go to and from school and also going out at night. I'm extremly easy to get along with and I have a bubbly personality so I'm sure we would have no problems. I come from a respectful family which are willing to pay for school and will deposit money in my account every month which means everything on my half will always be paid becuase i have never had problems with maintaining my money.
Thankyou for your time,
Aida Alvarez

Rawr08
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi,
My name is Aida Alvarez and I am planning on moving to Dominican Republic during either September 2009 or January 2010. I see that you are searching for a roomate, which I need as well. I'm trying to find a roomate over there who is compatible with me. I am very open minded, but i would like to live comfortably. My main priority is school ofcourse but i also like to enjoy life. I like going out and meeting new people, and I am willing to pay whatever it takes to live in a decent home which we can split. I enjoy the finer things in life meaning spending whatever to live comfortably. There would be no need to take a bus or taxi because I will bring my car as my transportation to go to and from school and also going out at night. I'm extremly easy to get along with and I have a bubbly personality so I'm sure we would have no problems. I come from a respectful family which are willing to pay for school and will deposit money in my account every month which means everything on my half will always be paid becuase i have never had problems with maintaining my money.
Thankyou for your time,
Aida Alvarez

A.Bush
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey Aida, maybe we should live together ****, email me or add me on facebook, soy hispano y mi segundo apellido es Alvarez TAMBIEN!!! jaja, soy super buena onda, mandame un email y hacemos un enlace!!

-Alden Bush Alvarez

A.Bush
07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Add me on facebook or email me at [email protected]

Well i will be waiting for your reply :)

sieunee
07-16-2009, 04:26 AM
anyone coming around august 21? lemme know.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.