PDA

View Full Version : Free Medical School in CUBA

CubanBSEE
07-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Has anyone researched the MD program at "Escuela Latinoamericana de Ciencias Medicas" in Cuba? I hear the program is free and gives a great medical education and are using US physicians to teach USMLE courses so that students can come back here and pass USMLEs.

Wolfy
07-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes, it sounds awesome. I've been doing a lot of reading and soul-searching for possibly entering this program early next year. I don't know if my state has approved ELAM as a medical school though. It would be 7 years for me - seems like a long time for a secondary profession.

CubanBSEE
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
i was thinking about doing it but unlike dominican republic that will let you go into their 5th trimester (leaving only 4 years of med school left), the cuban medical system still wants you to take the pre-med courses and follow their 6 year program. I see they take an exesive number of courses. Did you see their curriculum? It's med courses from day 1 until your last year. How can that be?

futureboy
07-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Aren't US citizens barred from going to Cuba?

CubanBSEE
07-07-2009, 11:03 PM
not under this agreement that the US and the cuban med system made. they allow up to 500 seats for US students per year. i hear that this school is the LARGEST in the world graduating 10,000 doctors per year from all over the world. this MDs can practice in their countries after med school except the ones that one to como to the US. and i also have seen that ALL of their graduates have passed the USMLEs on the first try with great scores. there's some cases i've also researched about getting great residencies in good hospitals here in the states.

Wolfy
07-07-2009, 11:46 PM
On the IFCO Pastors For Peace site, they say if you're proficient in the pre-med sciences, you could probably take the placement exams and not have to take the pre-med sciences. They say the last year is an internship with rotations.

Futureboy, google IFCO Pastors For Peace. AFAIK they're the only ones offering the scholarship for US students to go this med school and have info on getting there.

Swtlilsam123
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Has anyone applied to the program this year???

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.