PDA

View Full Version : Low gpa wanting to go to med someday. I need advice.

mvpkobe
06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone,
I studied at Australia for one year graduate entry in nursing. Being out of the home country for the first time in my life, I had a hard time adjusting and didn't got a high gpa on the semester. I am thinking of pursuing medicine in the future
My qualifications are:
Degree : Bachelor of Nursing Science ( Grad entry) - australia
Duration : one year
GPA: 4.75

I read on a medical schools website that if the GPA is below 5.0, they are advising not to apply. I already know about the other requirements like GAMSAT and interviews, the only thing worrying me is the GPA.
I have a choice now of studying biomedical science, I will really purse to have high GPA this time.
Is it much better for me to study again to have that high GPA or I will do just fine in applying with my current GPA.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers =)

dadoc
06-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Blow away the GAMSAT and then you'll be able to explain the low GPA. Dont expect to get into USyd or ANU. Try JCU or UWS or Griffith.

mvpkobe
06-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Thank you dadoc. I really want to go to University of Queensland.

redshifteffect
06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Why UQ?

it's not that great a school...any particular reason you want to go there?

mvpkobe
06-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Because when I was doing my placements as a student nurse, most interns came from UQ they told me it's a great school and because Im here in Queensland. Why do you think it's not a great school? Any school you recommend? Cheers.

redshifteffect
06-27-2009, 03:46 AM
If the interns graduated from UQ then they probably are biased towards their alma mater or lack perspective to be able to accurately compare themselves with other students. I've personally worked with UQ grads and the hospital I worked in will be reluctant to hire their graduates in the future. Both of the grads I worked with failed internship and had difficulty with their clinical knowledge.

You can take a look at the school yourself, but next year they will have 500+ students and not enough clinical facilities for all of them. I think for the basic sciences you can literally study anywhere in the world as long as you have access to good tutors or a good library but for clinical studies you need access to as many patients as possible. Ideally it would be even better if you were a junior member of your team during a rotation so you got experience clerking patients, figuring out how to manage them etc. This is virtually impossible at UQ with the huge number of students they have.

Also what respectable Australian school would develop a program that is very much like a Caribbean medical school? The UQ-Oschner program actually has students completing their entire 2 years of clinical training at a private American hospital, and these students are then eligible to obtain an internship in Australia, like other Australian grads. Yet they have no idea what working in an Australian hospital entails, nor do they have any Australian experience. All of this seems a bit strange to me.

Finally think about the caliber of the applicants they accept. Basically they have a rolling admissions policy, and if you meet their cut off you're in. There isn't even an interview! If UQ is the only offer you get, maybe the rest of the schools are doing you a favour and medicine isn't for you. Think about it, how will you compete against the huge number of medical students that will be graduating in the next few years? If you can't get into a better school, you'll probably have trouble getting into an internship, or into a training program down the track.

I would recommend looking at other graduate medical programs, and make a decision based on class size and number of clinical schools, as well as a general consensus of the quality of graduates. You can probably only do this not by talking to fresh graduates, but talking to consultants that work with these graduates, because only they would be accurately able to compare people from different programs.

claybella
06-28-2009, 08:05 AM
I second what redshifteffect said. I was looking at their rolling admissions policy and made me feel a little skeptical as to the quality of their applicants.

dadoc
06-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Wait a second..

USyd accepted me without an interview and so did Monash. The only place I was called for an interview was JCU and thats because of their whole rural dilemna.

But UQ is a bad university for Medicine. The best would be USyd and ANU, maybe UoM.

And the Oschner program doesnt make sense. Its not training for Australian medicine, but its putting you in the US system as an FMG. It would be easier for you to go to a Caribb school.

redshifteffect
06-30-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm not sure how USyd accepted you without an interview, but USyd interviews everyone. In fact they fly around North America arranging interviews.

Why is ANU good? It's a new school and hasn't built up a reputation amongst the graduate schools. Monash (graduate program) is also fairly new, and again only has the reputation of it's undergraduate cousin.

I'd say the top two graduate schools are Flinders and USyd. Both have fairly decent reputations for graduate programs.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.