CARICOM-MED
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
UHSA 20 months Clinicals and ACGME Hospital Requirements
As a graduate, I had the opportunity to do my clerkship in ACGME Hospitals

Please make sure that:
1. Rotations are ACGME Hospitals
2. You have Student Medical Malpractice Insurance at ALL times
3. Obtain Good LOR from at least 3 Mentors in your desired specialty
4. Pass USMLE Step 1 before your clinicals !!!

Here is a list of Hospitals posted at UHSA website:
University of Health Sciences Antigua Medical Synopsis - Hospital Affiliations (http://www.uhsa.ag/synopsis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=30)

Core Rotations: 48 weeks
Elective Rotations: 30 weeks

Combined Total: 78 weeks of Clinical Hands On Experience !!!

Cheers :)

romanl
12-10-2009, 09:36 AM
In order to enhance the clinical sites in London, UHSA is closing agreements of collaboration with several hospitals in London. Actually UHSA has a considerable number of students from Europe and Africa that are requesting sites that would not require extensive traveling to do their clinical sciences portion of the medical curriculum.

UHSA is with this innitiative living its motto of "Medical School to the World".

CARICOM-MED
02-23-2010, 07:57 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

romanl
02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
The University of Health Sciences Antigua has been giving service to the community in issues not only related to health UHSADOC. Services also given to the government have been also put in place as a way to express the intention of the school to collaborate to the healthy development of the community. Our Dean is actively working with these programs and looking ways to develop new programs that will benefit the community.

In regards of the shortage, there is a population of aprox 72,000.00 in Antigua. You can find a considerable amount of doctors in Antigua, please visit this site, Antigua & Barbuda - Doctors (http://www.caribbeanonlineyellowpages.com/listings_4/4_category_D_3020.html)

The results of every health activity done in the island are refered and carefully worked with the Minister of Health of the island.

Before graduating from the medical program, every candidate has to to a compulsory time of service in the island. The suggested intership program will be refered for consideration by the relevant academic authorities.

Thank you for your constant support.

I support the moto "Medical School to the World", but I think one step at a time, why not just focus on the local community (Antigua) FIRST ??

There is a huge shortage of MDs in Antigua, with Diabetes and Hypertension on the rise.

1. Why not add community service with medical students & establish a medical internship program (One year post graduate training for UHSA/AUA MDs) to give back to the community ?

2. Why not start a proper research study to find correlation with screening & preventive measures that can help the local community ?

###
Cheers :)

romanl
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
With a total of 3,000 beds in capacity, Taipei Medical University (TMU) Healthcare System will be one of the largest healthcare systems in Metropolitan Taipei. It comprises one medical university and three affiliated hospitals and integrates primary and specialty care with research and education. With the line-up of Taipei Medical University Hospital, Wan Fang Hospital, and Shuang Ho Hospital, TMU Healthcare System becomes a heavy weight healthcare provider, which emphasizes the quality of medical service, teaching and clinical researches. TMU Healthcare System continuously strives to improve the quality of medical care and research with the goal of becoming the global healthcare destination. (http://healthcare.tmu.edu.tw (http://healthcare.tmu.edu.tw/) )

The University of Health Sciences Antigua School of Medicine is proud to have Taipei Medical School as a sister school!

CARICOM-MED
03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

romanl
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
UHSA signed an agreement with a prestigious medical school in India that has two hospitals with 650 beds. Very soon we will have available in Korea and in China.

We are working very hard to improve the clinical experiences of our medical students. We have still a long way to continue to improve.

CARICOM-MED
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

canadiandr
02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
i heard you can do part of clinicals before step1 exam? i think that is a good idea as it involves students with the hospital/patient care settings. If so then how do we know that the list of hospitals on your website are ACGME Hospitals. thanks

romanl
02-15-2012, 07:00 AM
http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/reports/program_specialty.asp

Please click here, you can find the list of ACGME accredited Programs, you can check the schools list with this source and you will find which ones are ACGME.

i heard you can do part of clinicals before step1 exam? i think that is a good idea as it involves students with the hospital/patient care settings. If so then how do we know that the list of hospitals on your website are ACGME Hospitals. thanks

Justwannagetthere
02-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Can anyone confirm whether UHSA's list of hospitals is updated on their website? Where are UHSA 3rd year students??

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.