PDA

View Full Version : Should I study in a foreign medical school or re-apply next year?

allinone
06-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi!
I'm new here, but been reading your threads for quite a few months now.
:lovedoctor:
Female, 23 yrs.
Graduated on dec. 2007 B.S. in General Science
GPA - 3.1
Science GPA - 2.75 or 2.69 (not sure)
MCAT - 18K
No voluntary service or hospital experience, just work not related to medicine and 1 year of research.
:|

I'm from Puerto Rico and there are two med schools that accept people with an 18 on the MCAT but with high GPA (3.8 or above) The minimum in the other 2 med schools is higher (20, 24).

My question is, should I stay here and do a Master in Public Health and re-apply? or should I retake the MCAT and instead of getting a MPH just do clinical research and voluntary work and re-apply?

I really don't wish to take the MCAT again because it would be my 5th time (Scores: 14,16,14,18):confused: that is why I been thinking of leaving to the Dominican Republic and start medicine there on sept. '09 , hopefully I can study hard, pass the step and transfer back to Puerto Rico. Is that a good idea?

Please help, I don't know what to do anymore and I REALLY want to study medicine and become a great doctor. :(

Kronos
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Its tough to raise that science GPA significantly in only one year. If you absolutely, positively have no other foreseeable goal than medicine, then I would seriously consider taking the plunge into a carib school. However, I don't think you should rush the decision, so take a few months to research the schools, apply only to the Big 4 and attend one of those. Don't take a shortcut on the Big4, it's not worth it. I hope you are definite about your desire to go into medicine.

allinone
06-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks for replying!

I was thinking of taking the MCAT now in Sept, pass it with a 22 or 24 and do some research after that. I think I got chances here because I have a friend who entered this year with a 19 and a 3.2 GPA but she had done some extracurricular activities. Anyway, if I don't pass the MCAT on Sept then I'll leave for Unibe in Jan.

About transfer, I've heard different opinions. What most of the people say is that I have to top the step score, I think if I study hard enough I can do it.

So what do you guys think?

:(

allinone
06-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I know I have a low GPA and a low MCAT but I also know that this is not the best I can do. I wasted too much time in college, had some personal-family issues and sometimes prefered work over school. As a result, my low gpa. As for the MCAT, the only time I did study and put some effort was when I got the 18. Ironically, I took the Princeton Review course twice and both times got a 14. I didn't went to any of the verbal classes, didn't do their diagnostic tests and missed some science class on the first time. The second time the "teachers" where just horrible. Maybe they are good in the US but the ones they sent here are students that doesn't give a crap about your MCAT.

Some people mature faster than others, I did a little too late(one year ago) and now I'm trying to not let my mistakes keep ruining my life. I can't start over now but there must be some way to keep going. I'm not asking for an easy magical way, just how to get past this and start working on my only goal: study medicine and become a doctor.

losackmd
06-05-2009, 11:52 PM
http://static.valuemd.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Should I study in a foreign medical school or re-apply next year?

the only answer is YES!
ill debate anyone who answers differently !
get started.........get your exams passed.............. become a physician NOW.
control your future dont let others do it!

dadoc
06-06-2009, 03:09 AM
If you cannot possibly think of another profession you would be interested in, then by all means, go for medicine. Just know that it is not all what its cracked up to be. Guess its time to ask yourself that age old question: Why do you want to do medicine. Answer that, and then you will know what to do.

Best of luck

mindrocket
06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi allinone

Your dilemma is really tough, many aspiring doctors from our island face the same situation; as some people say "somos muchos los hijos del muerto". Fortunately the answer is really simple, you can base your decision in terms of probability, time and money.
In our island, (Puerto Rico, asuming that U are a native as me), the situation for anyone aspiring to became an MD is really hard; not to mention everywhere (I think there are not exceptions. LOL). In my opinion that's because the small number of medical schools and the small number of "spots" on each medical school.
So based on these two simple facts is really easy to conclude that based only on "probability" that the chances to "get inside" are really small. In addition to this, if you ponder the pool of prospective students, (size and quality), the chances are getting smaller. The point is this, even if you raise your GPA and MCAT scores, there's no guarantee that you will get a spot. If you really want to give it a try, I recommend you to concentrate on the MCAT scores, because the GPA in such a little time as a year can't be raised significantly. I have been considering to go to DR for two years, I didn't make a final decision because of some personal issues. But I concluded that in my personal case, my chances to get accepted on el Recinto de Ciencias Medicas, Ponce School of Medicine, (and others) are really small. In terms of money most of the medical schools here (PR) are more expensive than their counterparts on DR. In terms of time, (only if you doesn't get accepted), you will lose a year of medical instruction. Think about it, if you are sure that you want to be a doctor maybe your best choice is DR. It cheap (relatively), is not far from here (there is the ferry, you could even ship your car), you know the language maybe the culture too; and I in my humble opinion it will be a little easier to get inside, because of the MCAT. Go and talk with more people and consider other options like UAG in Mexico (more expensive, MCAT, farther than DR). Hope that my humble and simple "analysis" let you make your own study of the situation and get the right answer to your question. I'm a newbie so I can't pm you. Mucho exito, pa' lante boricua.

losackmd
06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
just think
if you wait another year you could have done 3 semesters already ..............
if you wait another 2 years you could have done 6 semesters..............
youd be 1/2 way your way to becoming a physician.....................
everything in this world & this life is about time space and money................

Im going to sum this up for you one more time and then ill leave you alone as i have nothing absolutely nothing invested in you becoming un plomero un policia o un doctor............listen to me closely ............... closely........ and i defy anyone to disagree with me and prove me wrong........ i mean the veterans like me!

You teach yourself in medical school. NOT the teachers, YOU! Not your favorite best professors, the ones you think are so groovy and great. YOU study the material, you memorize your culu off, you take their tests and the ones AMERICA puts in front of you. You pass them and you are on the way whether you are in HARVARD or SPM.
you learn the material you take the exams you get the job done .............YOU.
If you study hard, and pass the tests and get a residency you are on par with any AMG. So you use the same text books as AMGs and you study night and day and day and night and you pass the equivalency tests. It doesnt matter where you study!
the other fact is that most of what you learn in medical school you will forget in your residency and absolutely forget after residency.
My colleagues know this I know it you should know it.
Get started now! i have no investment where you go either, just go if you really want to become a physician. Youre welcome!

allinone
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
mindrocket, thanks for your reply it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there :cool:

losackmd, thanks for your support and advice I'll keep it in mind.:D

For personal reasons I decided to give the MCAT another try, study a lot harder (since I didn't study the way I was supposed to for the other ones) and if I get a competitive score for PR (22-23 or higher) I'll reapply, if not I'll leave to DR in January (one way ticket;))

I'll let you know what happens and thanks again everyone for kindly answer my inquiry.

Feel free to keep posting in this thread!
:shake:

shawnm3
06-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Not be pessimistic, but if those are your mcat score its unlikely you will be able to pass the usmle. id seriously consider other paths.

Thanks for replying!

I was thinking of taking the MCAT now in Sept, pass it with a 22 or 24 and do some research after that. I think I got chances here because I have a friend who entered this year with a 19 and a 3.2 GPA but she had done some extracurricular activities. Anyway, if I don't pass the MCAT on Sept then I'll leave for Unibe in Jan.

About transfer, I've heard different opinions. What most of the people say is that I have to top the step score, I think if I study hard enough I can do it.

So what do you guys think?

:(

drmatty
06-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Shawn,

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no factual correlation between Mcat scores and USMLE scores. Two totally different test, its like comparing apples with oranges.

mindrocket
06-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Is the MCAT a good predictor for the USMLE scores?
Does anyone know about the correlation between MCAT and USMLE scores?
Does anyone know about the existence of any valid scientific or statistical data that supports that claim between MCAT and USMLE scores?

losackmd
06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Shawn,
with your pessimism, let me give you a word of advice i would clearly recommend to you to chose another path.
Such arrogance with twisted facts and a horrible attitude will clearly make Your path to being a helpful, truthful, sympathetic physican very difficult. With 30 years of experience behind me and exploring human nature and its vicissitudes anyone who works really hard with passion and zeal and fortitude will in my opinion make it!
Do you know that not one American med school gave me or my colleagues in the UCE an interview 34 years ago. Several UCE friends were 18,19 20 fresh from High School, they were told they were too young, too immature, and not to go to MED SCHOOL abroard. Guess what? they are all, each and everyone of them successful in their Cardiology, Surgical and Psychiatric practices so much so that they are booked months in advance. Hows that for ya? but the
the AMA told us all to take a flying hike and consider other related Health careers. The stats were against us!
Do you know that hearing that made me fight for it even more. No one is going to tell me that a statistic is going to decide or dictate my future. Absurd. Statistics my ***..................allinnone you go ahead and get started with your career. I dont know if retaking the MCATS is a great idea or if it detracts from your chances.
Are you afraid of going abroad? So many of us did it. You can too. PM me. im here to help you. Do not listen to anyone......... anyone with dismal pessimistic advice ever!
Never accept NO! Never accept "you should blah blah blah," Never listen to someone who tells you you cant do what your heart is telling you to do. I mean this. Ive seen what Shawn would call " losers" become heads of staff in hospitals.
amen!!!!!
all the best everyone,

Dr Losack.

allinone you stay on course. You are positive and optimistic

cassaundradl
06-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks! Dr.Loc:p that was encouragement for me as well!

etjusticepourtous
06-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Not be pessimistic, but if those are your mcat score its unlikely you will be able to pass the usmle. id seriously consider other paths.

The mcat and the usmle are WAY different. What herbs have you been smoking.

seongsan
06-18-2009, 11:40 PM
I hope your best luck of success in medical school application and life!

MedMan87
06-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Shawn,
with your pessimism, let me give you a word of advice i would clearly recommend to you to chose another path.
Such arrogance with twisted facts and a horrible attitude will clearly make Your path to being a helpful, truthful, sympathetic physican very difficult. With 30 years of experience behind me and exploring human nature and its vicissitudes anyone who works really hard with passion and zeal and fortitude will in my opinion make it!
Do you know that not one American med school gave me or my colleagues in the UCE an interview 34 years ago. Several UCE friends were 18,19 20 fresh from High School, they were told they were too young, too immature, and not to go to MED SCHOOL abroard. Guess what? they are all, each and everyone of them successful in their Cardiology, Surgical and Psychiatric practices so much so that they are booked months in advance. Hows that for ya? but the
the AMA told us all to take a flying hike and consider other related Health careers. The stats were against us!
Do you know that hearing that made me fight for it even more. No one is going to tell me that a statistic is going to decide or dictate my future. Absurd. Statistics my ***..................allinnone you go ahead and get started with your career. I dont know if retaking the MCATS is a great idea or if it detracts from your chances.
Are you afraid of going abroad? So many of us did it. You can too. PM me. im here to help you. Do not listen to anyone......... anyone with dismal pessimistic advice ever!
Never accept NO! Never accept "you should blah blah blah," Never listen to someone who tells you you cant do what your heart is telling you to do. I mean this. Ive seen what Shawn would call " losers" become heads of staff in hospitals.
amen!!!!!
all the best everyone,

Dr Losack.

allinone you stay on course. You are positive and optimistic

well said sir.

allinone
09-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Thank you Dr Losack.

I'm waiting for my MCAT results, in the meanwhile people are telling me to do a MPH and re-apply with my 18 score but I'm thinking if I don't pass the test with a high score this time then I should just start studying abroad. I want to be a doctor and I can't delay it any longer.

losackmd
09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
then dont............................. stop the **
get started TODAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont listen to anyone except those who say positive and optimistic things
get into a school and do it......................now!!

dont wait for anymore answers............

your fears are noted
your hestitation is noted
your need to feel that youve done all you could
NOW

make sense in your life and become a doctor

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.