PDA

View Full Version : Registration Trauma

ecmd2b
05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Hello all,

News from the trenches...

Registration for med students for the May-Aug semester was this past Friday. Imagine having to register for classes when you haven't received the final grades for half the classes you took last semester! Mind you, the missing grades are all in classes that "open up" or are prereqs for other classes, i.e. This & That I - which opens up This & That II.

There's also a financial aspect to this situation since the Federal loan application process requires submital of your semestral GPA. Completion of the application process is therefore being delayed until all grades are in.

This is the third semester this has happened. Frustrating to say the least. There's a two day "add / drop" period - which is total chaos, lines that don't move, forms that have to be signed by numerous departments (meaning more lines), etc...

I know this doesn't happen at INTEC - I'm told grades are usually posted on-line (a far and distant dream for those attending my school) three days after having completed the class.

Don't know about PUCMM, UNIBE & UCE...

losackmd
05-03-2009, 11:39 AM
aHHHHHHHHH the good ol days at UCE.

october
05-11-2009, 11:40 AM
You mean to tell me there are no "flunky facilitators" you know, like the guys with attache cases that hang out around government offices and offer to wait on line, etc etc for a small fee?

Is the school you are describing NOT UCE?

ecmd2b
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm describing what's been happening lately at Nordestana.

This semester I was biten in the **** because by the time I went to register for several classes they were already closed, and the alternative schedule posed a conflict with other classes I had already registered. My school likes to keep things interesting...

Re "flunky facilitators" - I don't personally know any, and I haven't seen any briefcase lugging types around registration and accounting. I must say though that the endless line problem was minimal.

Wishing all future md's a successful semester...

etjusticepourtous
05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Hello all,

News from the trenches...

Registration for med students for the May-Aug semester was this past Friday. Imagine having to register for classes when you haven't received the final grades for half the classes you took last semester! Mind you, the missing grades are all in classes that "open up" or are prereqs for other classes, i.e. This & That I - which opens up This & That II.

There's also a financial aspect to this situation since the Federal loan application process requires submital of your semestral GPA. Completion of the application process is therefore being delayed until all grades are in.

This is the third semester this has happened. Frustrating to say the least. There's a two day "add / drop" period - which is total chaos, lines that don't move, forms that have to be signed by numerous departments (meaning more lines), etc...

I know this doesn't happen at INTEC - I'm told grades are usually posted on-line (a far and distant dream for those attending my school) three days after having completed the class.

Don't know about PUCMM, UNIBE & UCE...

The grass is not greener at the other side.

ecmd2b
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
It's disheartening to realize that this is the "status quo" in all schools.

I guess it's too much to ask that:

*Grades be posted on time.
*Class schedules be adhered to.
*Important meetings be announced so that everyone is aware of
them, not just a select few.
*Professors act professionally, not coddling, demanding surely, but not
unnecessarily demeaning and rude.
*Documentation doesn't get lost or misplaced.
*Etc......

Us foreign students are being given a tremendous opportunity by being allowed to study medicine in this country. It's an opportunity that we should maximize and frankly be thankful for. Having said that, the daily nonsensical, unnecessary things that happen make this process a lot harder than it should be.

Anyway, as they say, when the going gets tough....(the tough go home, nah, just kidding...)

losackmd
05-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Us foreign students are being given a tremendous opportunity by being allowed to study medicine in this country. It's an opportunity that we should maximize and frankly be thankful for. Having said that, the daily nonsensical, unnecessary things that happen make this process a lot harder than it should be.

all of us had the same thoughts from 1976>1980
some thought the grass was greener left UCE in the 9th semester and paid exorbitant amounts to transfer out to
Dominica ( i think 10 grand ) ....then HAZIM immediately after 10th gave us our MD
no thesis no rotations............
so glad i stayed stuck it out and didnt pay that amount and had my MD sooner than they all did who left.
consiga una novia, enjoy the beautiful ocean, presidente, study hard to pass the "get back here exams" learn the language the culture all of this will absolutely make up for the hardships. I know what youre going thru. Beat them at their game. Remember you will get out of there. You will become a physician. The majority of Dominicans will not and remember this if you remember anything and i stake my life on it.......... 90 percent of what you learn in med school you will forget or never use.
Maybe the percentage is higher. You have a tremendous advantage to be on a beautiful island to learn spanish if you dont know it already and learn what it is like to live in an other culture. Pass your exams and go on with your life. its hard but you will make it. Thats part of the test dont ya see. Can ya persevere with all this ** you have to put up with? Thats part of becoming a great doctor. You will have plenty of ** when you get back home and in your profession. We might even have socialized medicine. phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A Psychiatrists view of the world (http://www.glennlosackmd.com)
29 years later not much has changed.

ecmd2b
05-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Dr. Losack:

I sincerely appreciate your words of encouragement. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees - you've reminded me that it's out there...

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.