PDA

View Full Version : Apartment To Avoid!

jzak
05-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to bring to everyones attention about a specific landlord that should be avoided for good reason. Around the princess garden area. There are two apartments with an unfinished upstairs. There is a bright green colored apartment to the left of this place that I am describing. Rent is sky high around 850 for one of them and 950 for the other. You will not recieve your deposit back and that is a guarantee. She will find every little thing wrong and will basically make it seem as if you owe her more than the deposit. I am pretty sure these ppl are new at renting so are basically clueless about the business and think they will be able to rip every med student that comes to statia. Anyway, nothing is included from internet to water. The water tank we basically filled every two weeks for close to $100 US. O yea, she does include Cable....YIPPPEEEEEE! They will not keep up with there end of the bargain, i.e keeping the front yard clean, trash ect. They were even supposed to help us out with filling up the water every other month but this rarely happened. She is seem OVERLY NICE up until it is deposit time. PLEASE... WE are in medical school to study, not to have all these other extra headaches to worry about. PLEASE choose WISLEY and stay away from this APT. If you are still unsure of where I am talking aboit please PM me. Good luck to all!! P.S everything is the APT was brand new, but at the worst quality possible, but you will be charged as if your living in Beverly Hills....

Compassion MD
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to bring to everyones attention about a specific landlord that should be avoided for good reason. Around the princess garden area. There are two apartments with an unfinished upstairs. There is a bright green colored apartment to the left of this place that I am describing. Rent is sky high around 850 for one of them and 950 for the other. You will not recieve your deposit back and that is a guarantee. She will find every little thing wrong and will basically make it seem as if you owe her more than the deposit. I am pretty sure these ppl are new at renting so are basically clueless about the business and think they will be able to rip every med student that comes to statia. Anyway, nothing is included from internet to water. The water tank we basically filled every two weeks for close to $100 US. O yea, she does include Cable....YIPPPEEEEEE! They will not keep up with there end of the bargain, i.e keeping the front yard clean, trash ect. They were even supposed to help us out with filling up the water every other month but this rarely happened. She is seem OVERLY NICE up until it is deposit time. PLEASE... WE are in medical school to study, not to have all these other extra headaches to worry about. PLEASE choose WISLEY and stay away from this APT. If you are still unsure of where I am talking aboit please PM me. Good luck to all!! P.S everything is the APT was brand new, but at the worst quality possible, but you will be charged as if your living in Beverly Hills....

I approve this message to be very true and accurate!

JZAK, I think your description is still too kind. Do you have any pictures of this apartment that you can put up so future students know where to avoid...

Compassion MD
05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
http://www.valuemd.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9652&stc=1&d=1241213494

mnemonicqueen
05-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the warning guys!!! It is really helpful!!

Dr.DEAD END
05-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Thankx for issuing a warning alert and i believe this place should not be on the school's housing website and we should start a thread here regarding all those bad landlords or landladies.
Old termers must have a list of notoroius landlords or landladies ,they should put it down here

jzak
05-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Compassion, Yes I do have a few pics that i will be posting!!

Compassion MD
05-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Made this thread sticky so it will stay on top "FOREVER"

If I am not mistaken, JZAK's landlord even let strangers lived in JZAK's place when JZAK went back for ~2 weeks of winter break!

jzak
05-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Compassion is correct with his previous statement. She let others stay n our place. When we returned from break there were books and notebooks, and even towels that did not belong to us. When we confronted her she said that shit was not true even when we had the evidence on hand to prove otherwise!

Be The Best
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
jzak can u pls upload some pictures!!! :D

deionn00
05-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey guys,

Good advice jzak, need to keep up these type of information for incoming students.

Any student in need of 2 bedroom apartment, very close to library (1-2mins), a GREAT landlord to recommend. pm

jzak
05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey guys,

I thought that I had more photos but they might be on a different memory stick. This is a photo of the outside where the relentless donkeys would come thru-out the night to eat hearty. I didn't mind bc in the contract stated that she would maintain all "yard" problems. As you can see this did not ever happen. So I took it upon myself to clean it around 4 or 5 times. Between studies and cleaning the yard I decided to cut my losses and stop cleaning it. as you can notice on the lower right side of the picture all of the dirt. Yes this dirt will follow you inside, every time. I would sweep everyday. It was a mess to say the least. But i will look for more pix if I can find!! Good luck with apt searching for those looking and this is one you won't have to stop in and look at!! PS the one thing they did try to do was put a mechanism on on the large trash bin. It consisted of wrapping copious amounts of rope around the entire trash can including the lid. Yes... this worked well for the animals. It also work so well that even humans could not figure out the contraption to put trash inside! Amazing!

JLea
05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I remember this place now. A guy in my class took it last May and moved out after a couple of days. The landlord threatened him with bodily harm for leaving!

She also charged him an enormous fee for staying there for the couple of days. Stay away from this place!

terren shadow
05-08-2009, 05:56 PM
thts scrwed up...

jzak
05-09-2009, 05:40 PM
JLea is correct with that statement!! If anyone needs any more info feel free to ask!! There are other really good landlords on island that i am sure students on here can help with and tell you about there experiences!!

Experienced
12-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention about a specific landlord that should be avoided for good reason. Around the princess garden area. There are two apartments with an unfinished upstairs. There is a bright green colored apartment to the left of this place that I am describing. Rent is sky high around 850 for one of them and 950 for the other. You will not recieve your deposit back and that is a guarantee. She will find every little thing wrong and will basically make it seem as if you owe her more than the deposit. I am pretty sure these ppl are new at renting so are basically clueless about the business and think they will be able to rip every med student that comes to statia. Anyway, nothing is included from internet to water. The water tank we basically filled every two weeks for close to $100 US. O yea, she does include Cable....YIPPPEEEEEE! They will not keep up with there end of the bargain, i.e keeping the front yard clean, trash ect. They were even supposed to help us out with filling up the water every other month but this rarely happened. She is seem OVERLY NICE up until it is deposit time. PLEASE... WE are in medical school to study, not to have all these other extra headaches to worry about. PLEASE choose WISLEY and stay away from this APT. If you are still unsure of where I am talking aboit please PM me. Good luck to all!! P.S everything is the APT was brand new, but at the worst quality possible, but you will be charged as if your living in Beverly Hills....

Thanks for posting this and ESPECIALLY for making it a sticky.

Here's the short version, folks. The local people have figured out that they can make a FORTUNE by stacking one cinder block on top of another and opening an "apartment" for rent. But many of them have no concept about the *responsibilities* that go along with being a landlord, especially of North American renters. It's more than opening some rat hole and making 100% profit so they can buy an SUV or two.

We have to teach them. It's as simple as that.

May I suggest that every time one of us accepts a substandard deal from one of these newbie locals, we not only screw ourselves but we set a precedent for ALL future USESOM people who come after us? It may be a price that is too high for what we see, it may be that they don't address repairs or replacements in the "lease agreement", it may be that they have some worker show up unannounced to do repairs for 4 days right before exams without prior notice, etc.

We get what we allow. Let me repeat that: we get what we put up with.

Time to say no, folks. No, I'm sorry, I won't pay $600 for this. I won't commit for a year unless you commit to a few basics. No, I'm sorry, you can't have repairs or repainting done without asking me when it is convenient for ME. No one just shows up and repaints my home for 4 days unless I OK it. Don't like it? Good luck renting to the Dutch, or the Terminal, who has VERY high standards for its workers and will flunk 80% of you. Wanna have your stack of cinder blocks vacant for 6 months? YOUR CHOICE.

I know it is very hard for medical students to think about anyone but themselves in the moment. But try, try real hard....

E.

-

beb22
12-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Please, don't sugarcoat people who are ripping the students off,we don't have any loan or income.her name is aquilla van putten, and everyone should know about her.she is a crook and we should not protect her identity.btw, i don't know why the school posted her her on the housing website, she should be removed since the school knows about her.

FutureStudent
12-24-2009, 11:46 PM
From 24+ months on island, my experience is that the local people will not change.
"Oh" you say, "if they do not change they will fail as a landlord". That is true, and they will eventually. But in the mean time they will take a dollar here and another there and make life hard for you because they are related to this policeman and that utility peron, and suddenly your affordable apt is no longer affordable- but you have a contract and the judge is the landloard's sister-in-law. My experience is they will get the money while they can and then they will revert (did I spell that correctly?, it's been a long evening) back to where they were before the student was a renter. My experience is that many locals don't want students on island, and recent the changes that come with students, faculty, etc. are met with subtle hostilities. Their revenge (word used loosely) is monetary- economically gouging students whenever possible. In a nutshell- be careful before you rent, read the contract carefully. Don't sign for more than 4 months ata time, make sure the contract states who pays utilites, and who pays for WATER- there is a drought and water is scarce (and expensive).

Paradox_
04-03-2010, 12:48 PM
anyone got a good place I can look at? coming in May 2010.

sem5
08-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for the info. I emailed to the person reg the apartment. She sent me a reply that there are 2 two bedroom apartment. But now I am scared to reply. Could anyone help me get an apartment please.

MJEG
08-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Visit the school housing page to help in your quest for an apartment.

doc4jox
09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I will be starting May 2011 and am interested in speaking with you regarding apts. and other matters. Could you please phone or write me. I would greatly appreciate. Thanx, Ken 816-531-3300

nijaprincess223
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Can any one suggest a good apartment to live in? I will be starting may 2011

Ravi_Oli
06-06-2011, 10:05 AM
This landlord sounds like a nightmare.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.