PDA

View Full Version : Everybodies help will be appreciated!!!

Rachel91
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Hey, I'm Rachel. Im moved to Australia from the UK at the beginning of this year. My grades were great, with my final grades of school being all A's and A*'s for the subjects i need to get into uni to study medicine here. Its my absolute dream to become a doctor, but this year have found the move pretty hard and its effecting my results!! I know if i get a bad OP theres no way i could get in :(
If anyone has any help it will be great!! I'd love to do a 6yr undergrad MBBS, instead of doing another undergrad course, buy if i have to i will!
I would go to any university, but I really like Griffith and Wollongong and they would be top on my list!
Thanks in advance! :)

dadoc
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey, I'm Rachel. Im moved to Australia from the UK at the beginning of this year. My grades were great, with my final grades of school being all A's and A*'s for the subjects i need to get into uni to study medicine here. Its my absolute dream to become a doctor, but this year have found the move pretty hard and its effecting my results!! I know if i get a bad OP theres no way i could get in :(
If anyone has any help it will be great!! I'd love to do a 6yr undergrad MBBS, instead of doing another undergrad course, buy if i have to i will!
I would go to any university, but I really like Griffith and Wollongong and they would be top on my list!
Thanks in advance! :)

Ahh, the OP system. The system that screwed me over... It's not about how smart you are, its about how well you play the system, so let me give you some advice:

-Don't do hard subjects. All you need is Maths B and chemistry. If you are doing Physics and Maths C, drop them like a ton of bricks. Unless you are absolutely amazing at maths, drop them.

-If there is still time, consider moving to a highly regarded Private school. They always perform better than public schools on the QCS and if your school gets a bad QCS result, it will drag your marks down BIG TIME. DO NOT GO TO A SELECTIVE SCHOOL!! They use IB system and you will get screwed over big time.

-If you know a school who has tests easier than your school, I suggest you do some research and consider moving there.

-TAKE 5 SUBJECTS INSTEAD OF 6. It gives you alot more time to study and makes life about 3x easier.

-4th term wont increase your scores, no matter what. Whatever score you get in your first 3 terms, is pretty much final. You can only go down.

Griffith is an OP 3 and Wollongong does not have an undergrad program (I believe).
If you are desperate and are willing to go to JCU, do extracurricular activities that somehow can be linked to rural Australia. People with OP 9 got in JCU (yes, it made me sick too).

1 last word of advice, if there is anything, anything at all you want to be other than a doctor, I suggest you take it. You may regret it.

Oh almost forgot, UMAT preparation. I was in the 87th or so percentile and I will tell you how I prepped for it:

-Understand, that it is not testing your intelligence, rather your problem solving skills. Resolve the problem. Dont overthink it.

-The practice tests are pathetically easy compared to the real thing. Try them.

-There is no point in wasting your time going to lectures. They will not help. Sign up to a website if you want to get more experience with the types of questions.

-Dont stress, you need a 150 raw for Griffith.

And remember, if all else fails, its not the end of the world. There are so many other pathways into medicine.

Im open for questions.

Rachel91
05-01-2009, 08:49 PM
hey thanks so much for all your help!
what do u think about umat prep courses? eg medentry amapp icarus.. etc do u think it helps?
and also.. theres nothing else i wanna be except a doctor! lol
are you doing med now? in your opinion what are the harder/easier med schools to get into?

dadoc
05-01-2009, 10:10 PM
hey thanks so much for all your help!
what do u think about umat prep courses? eg medentry amapp icarus.. etc do u think it helps?
and also.. theres nothing else i wanna be except a doctor! lol
are you doing med now? in your opinion what are the harder/easier med schools to get into?

The UMAT prep courses arent really usefull. If your not sure about what the test is going to be like, I suggest you enroll into some online program and do practice tests. Again, this may or may not help you.

The easiest med courses to get into are probably in NSW (I heard UWS needs a UAI of 92, an OP 5 to get in). The hardest is by far University of Sydney.

I got into UQ (long story), but I want to practice medicine in the US and after talking to several people, I chose to go the Carib. route.

Please, please listen to my advice. People who do arts subject WILL beat you at a place in medicine. The OP system does not measure students by their intelligence, rather their progress in their school and since no school has the same curriculum, the easier schools will get you a better OP.

My school and the selective school in the Brisbane area both got screwed over, since our subjects were alot harder (both schools were under the impression that the difficulty of the tests were taken highly into consideration, but they no longer are as of last year). My school has since completely changed its curriculum and made it much simpler.

Good luck. Its a long, long, crappy road. Enjoy:)

PS: JCU is also easy to get into on paper. But they pretty much only take North Queenslanders. For City folk, its an OP 2-3. I have seen Townsville folk get in with OP 9

Rachel91
05-01-2009, 11:52 PM
whats the carib. route? i would also like to practice medicine in US. it is more like the US system or just better?

dadoc
05-02-2009, 02:09 AM
whats the carib. route? i would also like to practice medicine in US. it is more like the US system or just better?

Caribbean route is going through a Caribbean school to get into the US as an IMG. You could do the same from an Australian University, but Caribbean Universities specifically train you for the USMLE and US medicine in general.

It is virtually impossible for a non-US student to get into a Pre-Med program in the US (trust me, I contacted 30-40 schools and got the same response) so the Caribbean is the next best option.

If you want to end up practicing in the US, I suggest you start looking at the big 4 schools in the Carib. (SGU, AUC, Saba and Ross). There is also the Australian route, but it will be much more difficult in passing Step 1 as there is no specific training.

Australia is a good place to practice, but I would much rather the US. Ask around and find out the differences, then you can make a well informed decision.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.