PDA

View Full Version : Questions about entrance-exam?

Michael_123
04-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Hello folks, I'm wondering if someone could share any experience of entrance exams for Gdansk? Some people says it's hard, some says it's a piece of cake...and that they're conservative, asking things about personality etc - not only entrance topics?

I think it's great if it's true, knowledge of entrance topics (biology, chemistry..) doesen't explain motivation or personality.

I've printed out some 400 pages from wikipedia, about:

"CHEMISTRY: International system of units. Matter and properties. Elements, compounds and mixtures. Periodic Table. Isotopes. Symbols and formulas. Chemical equations. Atoms, molecules and moles. Mass unit. Laws of chemical combination. Avogadro’s number and the mole. Ideal Gas Laws. Writing empirical and structural formulas – acids, bases and salts. Balancing chemical reactions. Calculations based on chemical equations. Stoichiometry. Molar and normal concentration - calculations. Ionisation reactions, reactions between ions. Oxidation number. Redox reactions – balancing. Alkanes naming, structural isomers, reactions. Alkynes. Aromatic compounds. Benzene, nitration. Ortho, meta, para-isomerism. Alcohols, reactions, oxidation. Phenols. Aldehydes and ketones. Carboxylic acids, derivates – esters and amides. Carbohydrates – fructose, glucose, sucrose. Lipids. Fatty acids. Triglycerides – formation and hydrolysis. Proteins, nucleic acids – general view.

BIOLOGY: Cells, structure and function, cell divisions. Prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Mendel’s laws, segregation and independent assortment. Alleles, homozygotes, heterozygotes. Genotype and phenotype. Molecular basis of heredity. DNA, replication, genetic code. RNA. Protein synthesis. Reproduction and development. External and internal fertilisation; cleavage, blastula formation, gastrulation, neurulation. Classification and characteristics of the main taxonomic groups of animals, with special attention to Chordates, Vertebrates and Mammals."

I think I know a little bit from every topic, but Im not an expert of anything. Think I'am about average, but openminded .. nice as a person, easy to talk with - practising oral english every day now (with my english neighbour). Entrance exam is in 6 weeks. Should I be as nervous as I am? Should I read about polish history as well? What can I expect? How many minutes do I get?

I've also heard something about age...Is it true, you can't be over 27 years old to apply? Im 26... What about age among first year students, average?

Regards,

Michael

Eternalstudent
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
might be more helpful to print your bank account statement and send it along :rolleyes: that's just how things work in Poland. Seriously though you'll get in, their tuition is an insane amount of money in Poland and it goes directly into somebodies pocket. There's always room for one more but watch out during first year. Slackers will get booted quite easly no doubt. Just study consistently every day and you'll do fine

To prepare I would answer every question in their practice exams and understand why the right answer is right and why all the others are wrong. Set aside 2 weeks per subject and you'll do fine. Judging by your English in this post, your already better than some of your future instructors so no worries there.

Michael_123
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
To prepare I would answer every question in their practice exams and understand why the right answer is right and why all the others are wrong.
Thanks mate, one further question though - "their practise exams", could it be found within this page? Is it Gdansk own "practise exams" or something else? Because I searched - only found material about mcap and some indish medical school entrance exam...

Regards,

Michael

Eternalstudent
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
I would email them if they don't have practice exams online. If they don't send you anything, go to Poznan university MD school or UJ (Krakow med school) I think they have some practice exams. The exams are basically translated versions of their Polish counterparts which in turn or based on the Polish high school curriculum. Hence the range of topics is roughly the same in all of these schools. As I said with the money their charging there's not a HUGE amount of competition and they'll squeeze you in somewhere provided you don't get totally owned by these exams. Good luck :) Don't worry about the age either, I'll turn 24 in my first year :mad:

USGdanskMed
07-30-2009, 11:42 PM
I am not sure if I agree. I saw 4 people get lower than a 90% on the test and they were not admitted into the program. If you contact the Admissions director he can give you a copy of the types of exams questions they will test you on. Usually the questions are very or almost identical to the exam being administered. Let me know if this helps

Eternalstudent
08-01-2009, 11:17 AM
If you ask me Gdansk isn't worth the trouble. I applied as a Polish applicant because I lived there when I wasn't in Canada doing my undergrad. When it comes to Polish applicants, if you have a "new" school leaving exam (from high school) they will assess you based on marks alone. If you have an "old" school leaving exam, or anything else, you have to write the exam.

The difference only exists because the education system changed a few years back, and is not that significant. So anyway I applied with my undergradate transcipts (Honours Biology, Major Medical Science) and guess what I had to take the exam. One would conclude they value the Polish high school leaving certificate more than 5 years at a university. Epic Fail. I even offered to show up for a personal interview. Thankfully I found out a two days before the exam that I had been accepted to Warsaw 4 year M.D so I spared myself the hassle of going to Gdansk to write it.

Just out of curiosity, how many applicants were there ?? Are you saying you need an over 90% to get in ?? That's hard to believe. Maybe these people messed up on an interview ?? Either way, with such an unflexible administration, These are not the kind of people I want to deal with for 6 years.

revathiranimenon
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
any chances for an citizen of India to apply ?

Raysahar
05-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Helo every one.
I have been talking to the representer of the Gdansk medical university, i asked her for entrance sample test and she said there isn't such a thing cuz it's the same test year after year. And now i'm wondering if some one have done that test and still remembers som questions from the test or how the test looked like.
thanks for the trouble :D

Marquitos
09-25-2010, 11:53 PM
might be more helpful to print your bank account statement and send it along :rolleyes: that's just how things work in Poland. Seriously though you'll get in, their tuition is an insane amount of money in Poland and it goes directly into somebodies pocket. There's always room for one more but watch out during first year.

****. You make it sound so simple, you actually gave me hope in applying...Out of curiosity, do you happen to know anything on, University of Varmia and Masuria (Uniwersytet Warmiński Mazurskiego w Olsztynie)?

zs.vatan
05-30-2011, 09:51 AM
any chances for an citizen of Canada to apply ?

payao chang
07-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi, I had a few quick questions... I was wondering if there was any type of good loans that I should look into prior to applying for the University of Bialystok. And dorms?? are there any dorms there, and would anyone know who I can email or contact to get more information about my questions.

reichmann
02-26-2012, 02:44 PM
The Entrance Exam, is different every year because of Med of Gdansk, recent changes in building the centre of invasive medicine Gda (http://gumed.edu.pl/15446.html) , also a new recruiting agent Lehrer Med (http://www.lehrermed.com) and new budget for building a completely new centre for non invasive medicine. The projects and equipment are currently best in Poland, thus the recruitment strategies, as I understand, are expanded and raised.

Tom_Lehrermed
02-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Information about the entrance exam can be found at Lehrer Med (http://www.lehrermed.com). Currently, we are working with the Rector's admission staff to develop an exam that can be administered via computer at a testing facility. Testing will be conducted at the University of Toronto on the 21st of June, 2012. The topics covered by the exam are at a high school level, and are limited to the general fields of biology and chemistry. Physics and physical sciences is only covered to the extent that it is applicable to chemistry and biology; not as a stand-alone subject. I completed the exam in 2010 and am currently a student. It was challenging, but not impossible. Keep in mind that it covered material that I haven't seen since graduating high school (in 2005).

But what if you don't score high enough?
Well, we do have pretty high expectations for our applicants...But there is another option.
Has it been a while since you had chemistry?
Is your understanding of the Krebs cycle a little rusty?
We now offer a premedical programme that is designed to prepared you for our traditional 6-year program. It is one year of basic sciences and introductory language courses, designed for folks that have been out of school for a little while, i.e. "gap year" but still have the passion and enthusiasm to be surgeons and physicians. The deal is simple. If you don't score high enough on the entrance exam, you will be extended admission to the premedical programme. If you can successfully complete the program, you will be given admission to the medical program.
Total time spent: 7 years.... That's still less time that undergrad + medical school, like in the U.S. and Canada.

I hope that explains your questions! As always, feel free to contact us!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.