PDA

View Full Version : Admission - Educated Guesses Welcomed :)

Hello Dr Nick!
04-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a german student (Premed) currently enrolled at an average american university. I plan on finishing my bachelors by the end of 09.

My stats are:

-3.9 GPA
-Take MCAT in May so the results will hopefully be in by the end of june.
-Short Internships in germany and the US
-Worked in the healthcare field since I was 16.

But here is the catch:
If I graduate as planned it took me 2.5 years to for my bachelor's (Just turned 21) and I wonder if that will be taken into consideration since I've been told thats relatively fast. Due to that pretty tight schedule I took on, I have almost no Extracurriculars besides a 4 month period in which I helped a native american organization to maintain cultural sites on the weekends.
Also, I have a strong international/intercultural background.

This all then comes down to:

-I don't know my Mcat scores when I apply since they will be released pretty much on the application deadlines.
-How about my lack of Extracurriculars?

So should I give it a shot and apply this summer for "spring" 2010?

My school of choice would be ANU or U of Sydney but I'm flexible in that regard.

Wollongong looks good as well, maybe Lyndal can help ?

0jhh
06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey there,
Guten Tag, wie geht's? I am an international student currently doing medicine in Australia (4th yr), I entered as an undergraduate though into the U of Melbourne. I thought I might put my 2 cents in though... :)

Basically from what I understand, international students do the MCATs or the GAMSATs to enter a graduate stream (4 - 4.5yrs). I would consider Go8 universities safe although many incl. UoNewcastle and other postgrad meds are quite good. USyd and ANU are excellent schools, I personally know the prof that was involved in establishing the USyd programme.

Entry is quite tough (3-10% acceptance rate based on Adelaide and UNSW) mainly because you are competing with straight A applicants from Asia. MCAT scores usually requested by Go8 U's are at least 24M (see UoQ), you will require +30M for USyd and Melb. Your GPA is quite good although Syd, Melb and ANU are a b**** to get into for grad because there are so few places and international applications have skyrocketed.

Most universities don't really look at extracurricular activities although a short placement in a clinical setting might be helpful. Having made the cut for your GPA (which you will) and your MCATs/GAMSATs they will offer a phone/mini/short structured interview (exc UoQ which scrapped them). The amount of people recieving interviews are about twice the number of places available.

If successful, they will offer in rounds. First round comes about Jan, then about 2 rounds in Feb (mainly because people make their university preferences).

Do try to get in a timeline as this was extremely helpful when I did my applications. Anyway, hope this helped somewhat. Good luck in your undertakings!

HDCG

dadoc
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Ojhh is correct. Your going to need a 30+ MCAT for Usyd or ANU. And extra-curiccular activities dont count for squat sorry..

Try to get into USyd, it has arguably the best clinicals.

Let me know how you go!

ghumkumari
07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey there,
Guten Tag, wie geht's? I am an international student currently doing medicine in Australia (4th yr), I entered as an undergraduate though into the U of Melbourne. I thought I might put my 2 cents in though... :)

Basically from what I understand, international students do the MCATs or the GAMSATs to enter a graduate stream (4 - 4.5yrs). I would consider Go8 universities safe although many incl. UoNewcastle and other postgrad meds are quite good. USyd and ANU are excellent schools, I personally know the prof that was involved in establishing the USyd programme.

Entry is quite tough (3-10% acceptance rate based on Adelaide and UNSW) mainly because you are competing with straight A applicants from Asia. MCAT scores usually requested by Go8 U's are at least 24M (see UoQ), you will require +30M for USyd and Melb. Your GPA is quite good although Syd, Melb and ANU are a b**** to get into for grad because there are so few places and international applications have skyrocketed.

Most universities don't really look at extracurricular activities although a short placement in a clinical setting might be helpful. Having made the cut for your GPA (which you will) and your MCATs/GAMSATs they will offer a phone/mini/short structured interview (exc UoQ which scrapped them). The amount of people recieving interviews are about twice the number of places available.

If successful, they will offer in rounds. First round comes about Jan, then about 2 rounds in Feb (mainly because people make their university preferences).

Do try to get in a timeline as this was extremely helpful when I did my applications. Anyway, hope this helped somewhat. Good luck in your undertakings!

HDCG
hi,

I am also an international student. I would like to know about the details of getting into an australian medical school. I will be finishing my Bachelor's by dec'09 in biomedical sciences. I took the MCAT but I guess I have to retake it.
My stats are
4.0/4.0
10/11/7 M in MCAT
can you please help?

Thanks

Belomy
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Have you considered going to medical school in the US? You seem to have done very well as a pre-med. My advice would be to take two years off, take the MCAT in April 2010, and apply for admission in 2011. At the same time you need to get health care experience, preferably at US clinics or hospitals.

dadoc
07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Have you considered going to medical school in the US? You seem to have done very well as a pre-med. My advice would be to take two years off, take the MCAT in April 2010, and apply for admission in 2011. At the same time you need to get health care experience, preferably at US clinics or hospitals.

US med school matriculate about 8% of all International students, so the competition is really really intense. I know for a fact that they would take the masters/PhD's over a Bachelors, and for the Bachelors degree's they take the highest scores.

3.9 GPA is a very competitive score, but you got to ace the MCAT. The competition is very intense for International applicants, even at low tier universities, but it should be your first preferance.

dzungsaurom
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Please don't post these irelevant messages.

TriageModerator
08-22-2009, 10:33 PM
hi,

I am also an international student. I would like to know about the details of getting into an australian medical school. I will be finishing my Bachelor's by dec'09 in biomedical sciences. I took the MCAT but I guess I have to retake it.
My stats are
4.0/4.0
10/11/7 M in MCAT
can you please help?

Thanks

Why don't you retake the MCAT and atleast try applying to US MD or DO schools? Who knows, you may be part of the 8% accepted.

egy cardiac surgeon
09-18-2009, 08:55 AM
i t s me the new member
just to say hi
an Egyption Cardiothoracic Resident
wanna make frnds
plz tell me how i can join Australia
Mahmoud Al Shirbini

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.