PDA

View Full Version : about warsaw??

nidz
04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
hey
I am planning to apply to warsaw for 6 yr medical program from the UK and was wondering if u could tell me in general about the classes the profs and all compared to poznan and Jag in krakow. also does anyone know the fees starting from sep 2009
could u also list the pros and cons of the uni and the city
Thank you

Eternalstudent
04-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I'd also be much obliged if a current student of MUW would post tuition for the 6 year program :) I sent them an email a while back but they ignored me :twisted:

nidz
04-15-2009, 06:10 AM
can anyone atleast tell me which is the best out of warsaw, poznan and Jag in poland??

Eternalstudent
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
UJ (JAG) no doubt. Although the Polish programs are all basically the same. Don't expect UJ to be the miraculously on par with a good British university. Ultimately it dosn't really matter which university you pick in Poland. I would go with the city you like the most and Krakow is IMHO alot nice than Warsaw

Banality
04-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey Nidz,
I'm also applying for 2009 from the UK. Krakow is mainly an American in terms of demographic, not sure whether Warsaw finally got californian accreditation but Jag has it.
Unfortunetly if you havn't already registered for the entrance exam for Jag I'm not a 100% but I think it's too late now. They say Krakow is the nicest city... there is some truth to that I'd say it's the "Bristol" of the UK with a Cambridgey feel.
Warsaw I know more about. The fees currently are 11000 euro a year (looking at UJ's site the prices are roughly the same). If you have a Polish background and you pass a test you can get a 30% discount so you'd be paying 7700 effectively.
I have no idea about Poznan.
I'm applying to MUW myself, as I know students there and have family in warsaw. Good thing about the Uni is that you don't have anywhere near the level of red tape that you'd get in the UK and you've got a lot more freedom to get involved in things in your Clinical years (however the equipment isn't as "new and shiney" as say Imperial's is). The Pre-Clinical is tough and challenging, friends description of it is that it's "more hardcore" than standard pre-clinical in the UK, a lot of it is focused on your personal motivation.
Weather in Poland is amazing in general compared to England. Warsaw is a beautiful city and public transport is cheap, phone tarrifs are cheap... Nightlife is very good, the English facualty has a lot of events such as Bladder Bursts, Pub Crawls... general Uni stuff. The 3rd years+ are highly active and everyone mixes in as the english facualty isn't huge.
What else do you wanna know?
Might I ask where in the UK are you from?

captarcher
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey, great post Banality, those are some good insights into Warsaw. I was wondering if anyone has tried the online registration on the MUW website? I keep getting an error and the site never loads up.

Cheers

Banality
04-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Online registration opens up on May 12th, until then it's still the 2008 registration which the deadline has gone almost a year ago :P. Gotta wait buddy.
The ratio of applicants per place in MUW is roughly 3 to 1, at least last year anyway. No one knows how they choose their students, it's all a big mystery.

Eternalstudent
04-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the tuition rate :) is that for their 6 year or 4 year program?. Any insights on their curriculum?? It seems pretty hardcore ie 300 hours of anatomy wheras most other schools make do with less than 200. The same applies for other subject, they seem to have many more hours, Is that beneficial or just distracting?

Banality
04-25-2009, 02:54 AM
That's the 6 year rate, I didn't ask about the 4 year one.
Curriculum wise... hmmn. Well I can't give a good opinion of as I'm not a 1st year student. I know it is pretty hardcore, you have an exam almost every week and they all lead to your final grade. It's a massive jump obviously from whatever you've been doing. Essentially you need a "lead ****" because you'll be sitting a hell of a lot trying to memorise anatomy...
But it's like that everywhere you go. 1st you'll be getting used to the system but if you study hardcore weekdays you can go out on the weekends pretty often enjoy the city or jump along to the many parties that are organised by the upper years.
Important thing is not to overwork and miss out on all the fun, as the last two years have aparently done. All work and no play makes you a dull person.
First few weeks there are a lot of "Welcome to the Med School!" Parties, which are excuses to drink a lot and get to know the whole facualty. People are really friendly and the upper years can definitely help you through the 1st year.
In conclusion it's pretty tough but rewarding.
Also you've got mandatory PE and Polish Lessons I'd think that'd me more distracting. If you are a Polish speaker you still have to take the final test even if you dont go to the classes.
Did that help at all?

ginlolay
04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
There is no PE in western (non-military) schools but surely there is crap like pbl's. Are doctors supposed to recommend physical activity to patients but not to themselves?
Without basic Polish, how do you expect to communicate with patients? Do you think that history-taking is not important?

Banality
04-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Quote from the 6 year curriculum you can find on their website. PBL? I don't see what Problem Based Learning has to do with Physical Education... And the 'Are doctors supposed to recommend physical activity to patients but not to themselves?' you do realise that Doctors smoke/drink/take drugs they aren't pinacles of morality, ofcourse Doctors are supposed to recommend physical activity to patients *** are you talking about?
" SPORT TRAINING
In this program take part students from years I to VI. For students of first year these exercises are obligatory. Number of exercises-2 hours per week for man and woman in groups of 18-20 persons each."

'Without basic Polish, how do you expect to communicate with patients? Do you think that history-taking is not important?'
Why do you think Polish speakers get a 30% discount? They mix them in the groups during your clinical years so they can help translate for the rest of the group. I said it's distracting because I don't need to learn Polish basics again. At what point do you start taking a patient's history in your pre-clinical years? One would expect to have picked up a little polish living in the city for at least 2 years, so by the time he/she starts clinical years they'll be able to communicate with their patience in some form or other...
What are you trying to say?

ginlolay
04-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Quote from the 6 year curriculum you can find on their website. PBL? I don't see what Problem Based Learning has to do with Physical Education... And the 'Are doctors supposed to recommend physical activity to patients but not to themselves?' you do realise that Doctors smoke/drink/take drugs they aren't pinacles of morality, ofcourse Doctors are supposed to recommend physical activity to patients *** are you talking about?
" SPORT TRAINING
In this program take part students from years I to VI. For students of first year these exercises are obligatory. Number of exercises-2 hours per week for man and woman in groups of 18-20 persons each."

'Without basic Polish, how do you expect to communicate with patients? Do you think that history-taking is not important?'
Why do you think Polish speakers get a 30% discount? They mix them in the groups during your clinical years so they can help translate for the rest of the group. I said it's distracting because I don't need to learn Polish basics again. At what point do you start taking a patient's history in your pre-clinical years? One would expect to have picked up a little polish living in the city for at least 2 years, so by the time he/she starts clinical years they'll be able to communicate with their patience in some form or other...
What are you trying to say?

Because US med schools have in the past 20 years adopted pbl and its varieties, which is the biggest waste of time in their curricula, but have rejected, decades ago, mandatory physical education.
Indeed, many Polish doctors, cardiologists, pulmonologists and pathologists included, do smoke. If a physician in the US is found using drugs, he becomes "impaired doctor", and loses license and privileges, but may reapply after successfully completing his rehab, unless he has committed a felony.
You say that students in Poland examine and take histories from patients in groups, and that some members of these groups act as "translators" for the other members and the patient. That information is both new and shocking to me; is it really true?
Regarding history-taking: you may want to know, that most British med schools teach that from day one, with real patients.

Banality
04-25-2009, 03:37 PM
But we aren't talking about British Medical schools or American Med schools. Nor am I describing all Polish schools I am talking about Warsaw Med school. There is no clinical contact until 3rd year, it's the old system and there is nothing wrong with it. I am well aware of the British System, and the clinical integration during the first 2 years is not the common in all schools.
About the PE thing - hence why I said it was a distraction.
As for the translators thing, I don't see what's so shocking about this? You go in groups and if you have fluent english speakers who are also polish speakers they obviously can help with the non natural polish speakers? I don't see what the big deal is? I don't know the specifics but why would the uni give a 30% discount for polish speakers?

Eternalstudent
04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Universities are required by law to give you a 30% discout if you've got Polish citizenship. If you speak Polish, but were born is the US and didn't get your Polish passport set up you'll pay just as everbody else. Either way their getting a ton of $$$$ especially with the current euro/zloty exchange rate

As for PE, it's a useless time waster. Especially they have it set up in Warsaw. I looked at the schedule and recall it was like on friday night where you get off at like 7:00 pm (must be really popular with the med students lol) Who in their right mind would do that?. We're all adults at med school and shouldn't have to participate in sports. I absolutly hate soccer and basketball to stay fit I do pushups, 5k-10k runs and swimming depending on what I feel like. I hope they allow me to serve my two hours/week in the pool or on a treadmill or I'll stay miserable for a year.

Edit: I'd also like to ask about the logistics of interacting with patients. I mean do you talk to you tutors in English discussing the patient in front of them? And if you can speak Polish and use it all the time in the hospital how are getting trained in English hospital vocabulary ect

Oh and 1 more thing what's this non sense about MD's not being abe to smoke in North America ?? There are alot less smokers here than in Poland but still I don't think it's banned ie they won't fire you for having nicotine in your blood

Banality
04-27-2009, 01:37 AM
I can ask around, as I'm not a 100% sure how it works logistically.
Erm you don't need to be a Polish Citizen, just have a Polish background and fluency in the language (which is checked by an easy exam).
When I was talking about drinking/smoking... I was refering to the preposterous situation where a Doctor needs to fit the same bill as his patient to be allowed to prescribe treatment.
Yeah PE is a waste of time but what can we do?

Banality
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Quote from a friend;
"nah, it's if you are of polish origin
mandated by polish law supposedly
but yeah, we do translate"
The discount is just about Polish origin you don't need a polish citizenship or passport (if you only had a polish passport you wouldn't be in the english division anyway).
Well you're taught in English the whole way through, with patient interaction they try to translate everything what's going on. If you want to be prepared you've gotta ask and do a lot of self directed study.

Eternalstudent
04-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow that's a stupid rule. So what if I eat Pizza from time to time and an obese patient comes in with hypertension? I can't give him advice to eat more vegetables and skip the beer? :p

Bottom line here Doctor's all do something unhealthy, and will eventually see a patient that shouldn't be doing one of the doctor's vices. Not giving such advice could harm the patient and therby violate the hippocratic oath, and medical ethics in general :) I'm therefore obligated to give patients sound medical advice no matter what I do

Banality
04-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Well there is no such rule it's just a comment on ginlolay arguement.
Most schools don't make doctor's take the hippocratic oath anymore.

rpk
06-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Hi,Banality!! my name is Pravin and I'm from Malaysia. since i managed to excel in one of the public examinations in malaysia, my government has offered me a full scholarship to study medicine for 6 years in Poland. i'm currently doing my Cambridge A-levels in a local institution, which my programme is also fully funded. so probably in the end of june or early of august next year(2010), i'll be flying to Poland. for your information, there are only 3 medical universities in poland that are accreditated by malaysian government. The institutions are the Medical University of Warsaw, Medical University of Lodz, and Jagiellonian University Medical College in Krakow. can you please tell me which is the best among these three to study medicine? by the way please do tell me if there are other better universities in poland to study medicine . i might be able to appeal to my goverment if my cambridge a-level results are excellent. another question, my monthly allowance in poland is 800euro, do you think it is enough for the living accomadation( i guess hostels are being provided for us and the tuition fees will be paid by my government)? I'm really sorry if i'm asking a lot of questions or if i'm bothering you, but i really need answers from someone. thanking you in advance!!!

Eternalstudent
06-17-2009, 11:22 PM
If money is an issue don't go to Warsaw the capitol is easly twice as expensive than for example a smaller city like Bydgoszcz (~400k inhabitants) this is from expierience. On the other hand at the current exchange rate 800 Euro = 3600 zl which is more than most people make in a month. Renting a Flat will set you back 1500-2000 zl another 500-800 for bills if not included in the rent 400-500 for food coud be alot less if you live of home made pasta or rice ect grand total should be around 2500-3000 zl per month if you rent your own apartament, 1500 or so if you share with a buddy and so on. wih 3600zl/month IMHO your golden. I would go to krakow because it has a better reputation and to some extent quality than Poznan but still less expensive than warsaw. The rent in Warsaw will probably be higher than the averages I mentioned. You can afford it, but will have a better life style in a cheaper city. Damn I wish I had a government to sponsor me ;) Good Luck anyways

nidz
06-23-2009, 06:02 AM
hey Eternalstudent and Banality,
thanks for the info I havent been checking this post so couldnt reply sooner.
would you know anything about wroclaw medical university as at all since I couldnt find a forum about it?
I tried to call warsaw but that number doesnt work do you know if that number is genuine. do you have any number that i could try and contact them with? thank you very much

Eternalstudent
06-23-2009, 07:57 AM
The 6 year programs are all very similar IMHO go to Warsaw or Krakow they will have nicer equipment and facilities due to better fundning. One thing that has come up in the Polish press recently and something to watch ou for in English programs is the quality of first aid teaching. It is highly variable from school to school and not even standardized to which year it is taught in. Some schools teach it first year others in 6th year. It's an aspect of the curriculum that needs change according to few online articles in Polish that I have read. Just a heads up for anyone planning on USMLE since first aid is a good chunk of that exam

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.