PDA

View Full Version : What's it like at the Medical University of Gdansk?

Jonno1873
04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi!

I am an English student looking to study medicine in Europe.

Can any one comment on these questions in relation to courses taught in English at
the Medical University Gdansk, Poland.

How good are the lecturers?
Are they easy to understand?
How good is the library?
How good is the IT?
What size are the classes?
How many British students enroll each year?
What are the halls of residence like?
What’s it like overall?

Thanks!

Jonno :D

Rendra91
07-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello
I am waiting too about those information.
thank you

anuruddha1982
07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi!
I am a student currently studying at the Medical University of Gdansk. I've just completed my first year.

The course in English, on the whole is pretty good. It still has a few things that need ironing out, but nothing major really.
The lecturers are pretty good. Generally the standard of English amongst the lecturers is very good, although, there are a few bad ones here and there.
The library is very well stocked with all the books that you'll ever need to successfully complete the course. The IT facilities are very modern, there are about 1500 terminals, and the library, as well as the main university buildings have wi-fi.
The size of the classes are good. At the beginning of the year, your split into groups of 10. Each group has its own individual timetable which they follow. As far as I know, your group will remain the same for the whole 6 years. However, should you wish to change groups at any date, either to meet other people, or because you don't get on with your fellow group members, then you are free to do so.
As for British students, there are a few here, including myself. There are 4 in my year, 4 in the 2nd year, and more in the subsequent years, although I don't really know them. I'd say in total there might be about 20 of us. Most of year group is generally made of Swedish students as well as a few Poles, who want to study in English.

All in all, I can't really complain about the course too much. It is tough though. You really have to be prepared to work very very hard. In fact, if you do plan on going to any Eastern European school, I would recommend doing some background reading before you go, as things do really go at a very quick pace. For example, in my first year, I'd have tests in Histology every week (excluding the mid-terms, which do count towards you qualifying for the final), as well as tests in Polish every other week (depending on your teacher). In anatomy, your expected to have done alot of background reading for labs. If you haven't read, and you're found out, there is every chance that you may be kicked out of the classroom for that particular exercise. You'll be regularly tested in anatomy, with 4 credit exams during the course of the year, in Upper & Lower Limb, Back & Thorax, Abdomen & Pelvis and Head & Neck. Over the course of these credits (theory and practical included). You will have to accumulate a 40% average in these credits to qualify for the final, where you have to get 60% to pass (you have to get over 60% in the practical, to qualify for the theory final). Then there is Embryology, Cell Biology, and Latin, for which you'll have regular tests. One good thing is that you do get to a fair amount of practical work. We did First Aid, and had a final practical exam in CPR. Also, we did Nursing, where we learned how to put the nasogastric tube, a urine catheter as well as do blood glucose and blood temperatures. In addition to that, Injection techniques was another useful thing we did, where not only did we learn how to withdraw blood, but we also did the insertion of canulas.
The Halls of Residence are generally pretty good. Normally at the beginning on the year, you have to share with another student, although you do have the option of moving into your own room, as students generally start to move out to apartments during the course of the year. All rooms are equipped with a washbasin, microwave and fridge, as well as shelving, desks, chairs, beds etc etc. Bed linen is also included. There are also cooking, laundry and bathrooms/showers facilities on each floor, which everyone shares.

Overall, I'd say that the course and the university are good. They do really test you alot, and at times, it can really be a test of your will and strength of character, but I think at the end of the day, if you can make it through everything, you'd make an excellent physician. Tests do come thick and fast. Generally though, if you read all the recommended material, and study the lecture notes, you should be able to pass everything without a problem. It is very different to the English system of studying, which is to learn and apply knowledge to various situations. Here it involves more understanding and memory work in learning the core concepts very well. The exams really do test that.
In terms of Clinicals as well, I think, its a good place too. You get to learn and use of alot of your clinical skills from a very early stage, on actual patients, which really does help to build you confidence for when you actually graduate.
As for Gdansk as a Medical School, its very well reputed in Poland. Last year many students received awards for state exams that were conducted throughout the whole of Poland. They obviously must be doing something right.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to PM me, or ask any questions on here. I hope some of the information has helped in some way.
Best wishes with finding the right courses for yourself.

Jonno1873
07-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi Anurhudda1982!

This is a brilliant post - thanks for taking the time to write it!

Jonno1873 :)

anuruddha1982
07-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Not a problem. Glad it was of help :D

Jonno1873
07-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Just wondered what oral exams you get.

Are the exams all written?

Jonno1873 :)

Rendra91
07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Thank you....
Hopefully i can enter there as soon as possible

anuruddha1982
07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
As for Oral exams johnno, they mostly happen when you happen to be on a borderline for a particular subject. With the pass mark being 60%, the borderline for oral is usually around 55-59%, but it can change at the discretion of the examiner.
Some of the exams are written and some are MCQ. For anatomy we had 2 MCQ credits and 2 written credit, 4 practical credit written exams and a written final exam. For Histology, Embryology and Cell Biology it everything was entirely MCQ, with the exception of the histology practicals for each mid-term and the final, which were written. As far as I know, with Chemistry that was a written exam (i didn't have to take it).

One thing I do want to make clear to everyone is that although I have highlighted a lot of good things about the course, it is very different to Western Europe. A lot of your learning will have to be done yourself. You will get help, but you certainly won't be spoon fed. You just have to make sure that you're prepared in advance for every class. The admin at times is rather long and laborious compared to somewhere like England or the US for example.

anuruddha1982
07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
As for the other assessments they are as follows:
Nursing (practical), injections technique (attendance only), latin (attendance only), polish (grade based on fortnightly tests), History of Medicine (MCQ) and first aid (practical).

Jonno1873
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Another really helpful post anuruddha1892!
:)

dullz
03-18-2010, 10:21 AM
hey buddy! i just read this and i think its great all the info your relaying. I was just wondering, what was the entrance exam to Gdansk like? is it at a really top level or is it not too bad at all? (i.e around gcse, A-level, university?)
Cheers!

vigneshwar888
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
i am a student from india ,planning to do my medicine in gdansk as i'm doing my final year of schooling now ,i would like to know whether you took entrance exams for admission and if u did take it was it easy or a bit difficult ,like what is it all about ????? and what is necessary for international students before getting into that university

medice
03-02-2013, 04:48 AM
I was visiting my grandparents in Gdynia last week and I haven't seen them in 12 years, but I want to apply to MUG this year. I went to check out the campus and the university and I was really surprised by the new hospital. It really seemed top of the line. I'm just finishing my second year undergrad in Canada. Anyone has any tips for the application process?

reichmann
03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
contact the Canadian / U.S. representative there Home - MedSchools.eu | MedSchools.eu (http://www.medschools.eu) and www.facebook.com/medschools.eu

duzzy
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
If you're impressed by the hospital then you should see the hospital cafeteria! It puts any other hospital cafeteria to shame.

When are you planning on applying? Where are you going to take the test? Where are you from?

medice
04-04-2013, 04:35 AM
I'm from Toronto, so I guess I'll take it in Toronto - I haven't put my application together yet - I'll send it off in this month and hopefully GET IN :D

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.