PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractors and AMERICAN medical schools? Which AMERICAN med schools accept chiros?

chirodr
03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I know most of the posts pertain to chiropractors attending foreign or Caribbean medical schools.. I also realize American med schools do not offer advanced standing admission to chiropractors. However, I'm curious about which American schools have a history for admitting chiropractors. (My use of American below refers to the 50 US states and excludes Carribbean med schools).

My question are...

1. Why do so many chiros apply/attend Caribbean med schools instead of American schools..were they rejected from the American medical schools? Additionally, did they have bad GPAs or MCAT scores...is that why they chose the Carribbean?

2. Can any chiros comment on admission to American med schools if already a licensed DC in med school?

3. Do American med schools look down on chiropractors during the admission process?

4. Are there any American med school admission committees that look favorably upon chiropractors applying to med school? OR... Does anyone know of which American medical school schools view chiropractic and alternative medicine in a positive light?

5. Are there any particular American medical schools with a history of accepting chiropractors for admissions?

6. Do any current dual DC/MD's or chiropractors now in medical school have any insight about the American application process being a chiropractor? (eg, which American med schools offered them interviews for admission, which American med schools are they attending, which American med schools rejected their application, etc...)

7. What average GPA/mcats scored chiropractors interviews and acceptances to American med schoos? Are the American admission committees more leniant on scores if you are a chiropractor or a chiropractor who did well in chiropractic school? How does the admissions committee view your chiropractic educational and work experience?

8. Anyone know of or have friends who were chiropractors that were accepeted to American medical schools?

*****9. Anyone know of which American med schools have a history of admitting chiropractors? (I know Yale has admitted a chiropractor).

I'm a California native hoping to apply to an American medical school, but fear that some American medical schools will reject me because of some negative connotation with me being a chiropractor. I'm trying to come up with a list of American medical schools that look favorably upon chiropractic so that I can concentrate my application efforts. For example, if some top 10 med schools secretly discourages alternative medicine, I don't think I'm going to have great odds with the admission committee.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANYONE WHO HAS ANY INSIGHT TO ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS!!!! PLEASE SHARE ANY STORIES YOU MAY HAVE!!

THANK YOU!

khiro
03-19-2009, 12:09 PM
these are excellent questions for the dc wanting to go to med school in the US!

Let me give you my thoughts on the areas that i can:

#1. most chiros go out of country for the same reasons most non-chiros go out of country; for the reasons you wrote, generally lower scores on the mcat, and lower than acceptable gpas. this is no secret. most US med schools and DO schools post their admission statistics for the past few years of admittance, and you can see where you stand fairly quick in sizing up your chance of getting accepted.

#2. all schools have general requirements but that doesn't help much. go to #8.

#3. to throw your application away just because you have a dc degree? i doubt it. if your mcat and required courses and general gpa is high enough to get a look then the interview would decide if you are deficient in their "other qualities", see #8.

#4. i don't know of any.

#5. same answer as #4.

#6. i can't answer this.

#7. same as #6.

#8. when i was thinking of quitting chiro and going to med school i communicated with another dc in texas. he graduated from parker chiro college in 1991. toward the end of the 90s he realized that he wanted to be a medical doctor. he had a comfortable practice but a nagging feeling in his gut that he wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing. at the time he and his wife had no children, she had a good job, so he investigated going to med school. this part is very important...he went to a college that had sent graduates to texas tech med school and found a more than decent counselor who took the time to look over his courses and see what he lacked for texas tech. after taking a calculus course and making a real good grade, he studied for the mcat and scored acceptable for texas tech. he is finishing up his last yr there as chief resident. so the admit comm must have been swayed by his compassion, ethics, motivation, maturity and personal integrity (The other qualities)....and they weren't wrong in that decision as he has proven. the key here is he went to an in-state school that wasn't very far from where he lived (less than 100 miles), and he prepared himself to meet all requirements by seeing a counselor who gave great advice, good mcat, good interview inwhich i am sure, he DID NOT list his most important contribution to mankind as being a chiropractor. side note; he applied to and was accepted to SGU in case he was not accepted at TT. to my knowledge TT is the only school he applied to in the US.

the other example i know of is a fellow who i graduated with in 1985 from texas chiro college. although he got a dc license in utah, it is debatable if he ever practiced. he entered utah med school in 8/1988, not quite 3 yrs from his graduation from TCC. he was an older, more mature fellow with lots of family support (mormon), and he really had no trouble with the academics of chiro college, a bright guy and stable mentally. i was not surprised to hear of him going to med school.

i know of several dcs who have gone to the caribean, but you wanted US so those are the only two that i know of personally.

after knowing the backgrounds of these two, i can only say that they look just like the regular students in med school. they had the grades from undergraduate, they had the mcat, they had the smarts, the drive, etc. Chiro school was really insignificant in their admission to med school.

#9. i dont know of any.

good luck. khiro

pvttimhall
03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
There no problem with US schools admitting chiropractors. THey don't care what you did before med school. I know too many DCs that went to US med schools.

The issue is.. they only really care about your undergrad GPA and MCAT scores. They don't care if you made all A's in chiro school, got a master's in astrophysics, etc. I called 15 different admission's directors before going to Caribbean. I had a 3.2 undergrad GPA, a 3.8 Chiro GPA, but.. my MCAT was a 26, since I had been out of undergrad for close to 10 years.

They said that this was not competetive with other students. Now.. if I was fluent in Spanish.. I could have went to one of the schools in PR.. then maybe transferred back. But.. no habla espanol.

If you have a 3.6 or higher.. and a 27 or higher MCAT.. give a US school a try. IF not.. you better head to the Caribbean.

khiro
03-20-2009, 11:08 AM
fsu med school class of 2008; avg gpa 3.7, mcat 28.

and most state schools give preference to students from that state. a few years ago the u of mississippi med school routinely admitted no one from out of state. fsu has just recently started taking applications from out of state students, but in state (florida) applicants get preference.

i would look to schools in your state, or a state you could easily claim residence in, if your gpa and mcat are competitive with other applicants.

and like pvttimhall said; if you can't be competitive with US students in getting a seat, look south...way south.

khiro

pvttimhall
03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Remeber this.. I don't know about this year.. but last year, across the US, the US medical schools admitted their highest EVER average GPAs AND their highest EVER average MCAT scores.

So... you better bring your A game (literally) or you can hang it up. They have so many 4.0's and 35 MCATs, they don't need to take lower. 34,000 people apply for around 17,000 spots.

You could also try DO school, since they have really increased their enrollment and number of schools. Then you get into the whole US-DO or Carib-MD conversation.

CARICOM-MED
03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Nope, get a MSc or MPH better that way, get higher GPA score well on your MCAT, and chances are you will get into a DO Program !!!
Or even MD ;)
I know few DCs that did that....and got into top LCME Medical schools....

The CARICOM Option is not the easiest way to go......it is like running a risky business ;)

AUCMD2006
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Remeber this.. I don't know about this year.. but last year, across the US, the US medical schools admitted their highest EVER average GPAs AND their highest EVER average MCAT scores.

So... you better bring your A game (literally) or you can hang it up. They have so many 4.0's and 35 MCATs, they don't need to take lower. 34,000 people apply for around 17,000 spots.

You could also try DO school, since they have really increased their enrollment and number of schools. Then you get into the whole US-DO or Carib-MD conversation.

no surprise..any time the economy sinkls traditional carreers like law and medicine have an overwhelming number of applicants. wnhen economy is good more people go to buisness..

Rchiro
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey guys,

what is the CARICOM option Ive been hearing about?

no surprise..any time the economy sinkls traditional carreers like law and medicine have an overwhelming number of applicants. wnhen economy is good more people go to buisness..

azskeptic
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
CARICOM is the english speaking region of the Carib. For a while there were some medical schools that were offering advanced credit for chiropractors but after the DCs had major problems in licensing that ended. There used to be offers also of online medical school programs but that seemed to fizzle again due to licensing problems.

We have had some great examples of DC's who have excelled in medical schools. One from our list here was a practicing DC for 16 years, went to Saba, was a resident at Mayos and now is doing family practice here in Arizona.

azskeptic

Hey guys,

what is the CARICOM option Ive been hearing about?

CARICOM-MED
08-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I know many DCs that went the MD route, from SABA, AUC, Ross, St. Eustacious, even few from UHSA, that graduated with the MD Degree and are now licensed and are doing amazing.......the ones in my class really knew the basic sciences inside out......and did well on the USMLEs.....

Think overall the MD scope is the way to go :)

Rchiro
08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey UHSADOC,

Were you a DC before too as well? Thanks.

I know many DCs that went the MD route, from SABA, AUC, Ross, St. Eustacious, even few from UHSA, that graduated with the MD Degree and are now licensed and are doing amazing.......the ones in my class really knew the basic sciences inside out......and did well on the USMLEs.....

Think overall the MD scope is the way to go :)

jeffn
09-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Well, here's a switch in a 1st post thread resurrection. I know of an MD, albeit 3rdhand, who is in chiro college pursuing his DC degree. I will try to discover if he was offered advanced standing which I would guess he was.

There is also a new-to-me D'Youville College now offering DC degrees and advanced standing to U of Calcutta MD grads to earn a DC sheepskin-more demonstration of constant entropy in the world.

thedeepend
09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'll comment quickly. I was also a practicing Chiro for 9 years, I went back to Medical school in the Carribean. I chose the Caribbean, because I knew people who had done it and it was significantly cheaper than going to DO or US school. Although, truthfully I didn't even apply for any US schools and my undergrad grades and MCAT would probably not have been good enough anyways. Well, it has all worked out, I had excellent rotations, scored very well on Step 1 and step 2, and matched into my first choice at a solid university program. Now I just have to get through residency, lol. Lastly, I don't feel someone will have any advantage as a Chiro in applications and there are no schools, that I know of, that give Chiros any preferential treatment. If anyone has any additions questions feel free to contact me.

ajt
10-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Im interested in this topic as well. Which Caribean chool did you choose and how was the curriculum? Did it prepare you for the medical exams etc. I would love to pick your brain on this topic as it is something I am really considering.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.