PDA

View Full Version : GRADUATE STUDY IN polish med unis

doc1234
03-15-2009, 07:00 AM
hi guys,

i am planning to study biochemistry then i would like to study a 4 year MD course in poland. i know polish unis need physics and i plan to do a 1 year course in the last year of my uni studies. i am not asking the question "does biochem get me into medicine?" but would it help ?

what do they mean by pre med course studies?

Elssha
03-18-2009, 03:31 AM
not sure what you mean by biochem... the undergrad course or as a course of study in grad school (your title).
Premed courses are classes you take as an undergrad before you can enter medschool. You can be any major as an undergrad as long as you complete the premed courses required.
Off the top my head these include a year of physics, year of ochem and year of gchem (all with labs), some bio classes (I believe biochem is included in this requirement), a year of math (I think) and maybe some other requirements I don't know about. I took bio as a major so all my requirements were taken care of by my school requirements (and then some...).

remember
03-19-2009, 07:19 AM
http://static.valuemd.com/images/smilies/wheelchair.gif

Eternalstudent
03-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Nope B.Sc won't get you anywhere at least in Krakow Gdansk or Warsaw. Gdansk gave me some really vague response and didn't answer any of my questions. Warsaw didn't bother to answer, and Krakow wrote me back only after my second email to them when I asked who is the 200 Euro payable to. NICE ain't it ??.

Krakow wanted me to write high school entrance exams in biology and chemistry so I choose not to apply there. (I couldn't make the entrance exams due to convocation and they would't let me reschedule or even look at my trancripts) I'm graduating next month with an Honors B.Sc. in Biology with an additional Major in Medical Science.

I'm sure the quality of teaching is OK as well as the facilities but there attitude to the student is basically our way or the highway and the fact that they responded to my email only after I asked them how to pay shows just how greedy that school is.

Solution: (for me at least) Masaryk Univesity in Brno 2k cheaper and, if you want to work in the EU, 13 months shorter because you don't have to do 13 months of residency in Poland and pass LEP. Now if only I spoke Czech ;) Looks like another adventure.

Edit: Biochemistry will not help you with entance as I explained above, but it will give you a good background in science as well as "transferable skills" It'll help you learn how to cope with a university level workload and can serve as your backup degree in case meds in EE are to difficult for you.

bigndude
03-24-2009, 05:20 PM
A Bachelors of Science (in whatever science) will get you into Krakow and other schools with a 4 year program if you have completed the min reqs of 2 sem bio,chem,ochem, physics, english and math. Plus whatever other requirements there are be it MCAT etc. And also going hand in hand with having pre-reqs completed, having good grades and in Krakows case, a good MCAT score is also needed to be able to get in.

And as far as Krakow, from my own experience they have always been very timely and courteous in responding to my emails (always got a response the next day). Never was there any hint of greed or anything and the women in the office in person are also very kind and helpful. Krakow just has their min. requirements to be able to apply, and if you fulfill all of them, then they consider you.

Eternalstudent
03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Maybe you were lucky and I was not lucky or whatever but thats how it happened to me. I wanted to go for a 6 year program because A) I don't have MCAT B) I wanted the degree fully compatable with both Polish and EU standards and C) I did not want too bite off more than I could chew (I know the 4 year program in Krakow is alot harder than 4 year med school in Canada)

I asked them if they would consider me for the 6 year program based on my transcipts and I'm sorry no matter how a high school kid does on their silly entrance exam, I'm better prepared, and not only academically. 5 years at a top Canadian university (UWO) being put through the griller gives one many skills that can only be aquired through expierience.

As for the academic side of it, I've taken advanced level courses in every department of medical sciences and biology with the exception of Pharmacology and Pathology. So yeah, I'm better prepared than any high school kid and they wouldn't even consider looking at my transcript. Given what I heard from my freinds in Poland I can't say I'm surprised, but I expected alot better from Krakow. Maybe the email thing was a fluke though.

Anyway I can't say no to finshing 13 months+ earlier and paying "only" 9000 Euro. I'm going to Masaryk 99% sure, especially since they were kind enough to look at my transcripts and accept me without making me waste 1500$ on a plane ticket to pass high school biology

bigndude
03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I see where your coming from but quite frankly I think its just a case of them not being willing to bend the rules for you. I can't really blame them though, rules are rules, if you want to do their 4 year, you have to have what they have written or you aren't considered. And for the 6 year, well you also have to have the minimum req's or once again you aren't considered, and if the exam is required, its required. They could have bent the rules, but in the end they would have to do it for everyone then, and that's why I think they didn't want to do it, because it would end up being unfair. Either way, I see how its a crappy situation, but at least you found something that makes you happy, and that is the first step to success, being happy in the place where you are studying. Good luck.

Eternalstudent
03-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Well in essence it would be slightly bending the rules yes but........... They use their entrance exam purely to test academic knowledge. Raw facts and background in Biology. My transcript proves beyond shadow of doubt that my knowledge of Biology and Chemistry far exceed anything they could throw at me in their high school exam.

I asked them bend the rules so I could save alot of cash and attend my graduation ceremony. I would have been completly satisfied if they said "look show us the transcript and we'll give you conditional acceptance so long as you pass our Bio exam in september" That would have been completely reasonable.

Elssha
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I would have been completly satisfied if they said "look show us the transcript and we'll give you conditional acceptance so long as you pass our Bio exam in september" That would have been completely reasonable.
not sure of the full timeline/etc but it sounds like doing that would basically mean that they'd hold a spot for you when someone else can fill it, and if somehow something did make you no-longer a candidate (failing that sept test or whatnot) they'd be left with a choice of keeping you on or having an unfilled/hastily filled spot... thus not worth it to take that risk for them

bckwood
04-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm sure the quality of teaching is OK as well as the facilities but there attitude to the student is basically our way or the highway and the fact that they responded to my email only after I asked them how to pay shows just how greedy that school is.

I think that Krakow is the least greedy school here in Poland though. I think that Poznan takes the cake for the most greedy, they've doubled the class size in the last few years just to make more money. And I do agree with you that Krakow does take forever to reply to emails, but not as long as other Uni's in Poland.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.