PDA

View Full Version : If you have questions about lodz this may help

Donkayci
03-01-2009, 01:44 AM
If you have any questions about MUL ask me. I will do my best answer most of them and I will let you know if I canít answer since I am only first year.
I am in the 1st yr of the 4yr English program and to sum it up so far so good. That is not to say everything has been Rosy, this is medical school. You need to study hard to make it. If you want my opinion about Proffessors. I will say some are excellent and some are not so good like everywhere. I didnít go to Havard but Iím pretty sure not all the professors there are good either. I have had my own frustrations sometimes but remember that this is not the US, this is Poland and the system in Europe is generally a bit different so to survive you have to understand this and adjust your mindset to accommodate some of the problems that you might face here coming from US or Canada.

Facilities: They have very good Facilities, labs are nice, everything is hands on, Assistants are very helpful and knowledgeable. My Anatomy assistant (TA) is a surgeon. Our coordinators try their best to work with us. Even though things turn to move a bit slower here, they do listen and the mostly try to solve the problems especially if it comes from the whole class.

English language: I have read lots of these threads about Profs having bad English blah blah blah, well for the first year I will say only a handful of them. Others are pretty good and even the few that I personally have difficulties understanding have very nice and elaborate PowerPoints . I heard it gets better in second yr. Besides I went school in the US I had some professors that we very difficult to understand. My linear algebra professor worse worse than the my worst professor in Lodz and I went to a big ten school.

They are pretty strict here which I donít mind. I believe a medical doctor should have discipline and they are training US to be doctors and not just pass exams. It is true that we have some tough exams but what do you expect, this is medical school you shouldnít expect to get everything on a silver platter. Besides they give you the chance to redeem yourself with retakes. After the second retake they still give a chance to go to a committee to prove to them that may be your exams were not fair, so they give an oral. This committee includes the Dean. This when you asked to pay 200 Euros which I think is fair. You need something like that to deter students who will always want to use that to their advantage.
Initially travelling around for classes was a bit hectic but we all got used to it. Trams and buses are mostly on time and this time most of our classes are not far apart and I have about 50% (Biochem, Physiology, Biophysics) of my labs across from my dorm.
The books we use here are the same books we use in the US, the BRS's Lippincotts, Langs etc.

Living Conditions: I like my dorm room. Bigger than what I had in college. I have a cluster mate (2 rooms with one bath, toilet and a little common area) Every floor has a kitchen with everyone having their own locked cabinet. Every floor has a free washer and dryer (some colleges in the US do not have them free). Every room has internet, works fine, and 2 libraries close by. We all find ways to watch our favorite shows on TV. We do not miss out on that. The problem is some people may do it too much which may be detrimental to their academic performance.

City: Iím sure you can find that yourself but generally you can get almost anything you want. Even though the city itself is not as pretty as Warsaw and Krakow there are nice places to eat, shopping Malls, fast foods ( Micky Dees, KFC, Pizza Hut, subways etc) I havenít seen a Star Bucks yet in Lodz. Night life is crazy, it is Poland so can imagine lots of Vodka (cheap) , I think the Polish gals a very hot if you want to know, I canít tell you about the guys cos I canít make that judgment. The problem is the night life is so crazy that it could affect your studies if you let it overtake you. I believe that is one of the contributing factors of the mass failures of the previous years. If you have students not studying and drinking at every opportunity what do you expect. Especially those in the 6 yrs program most of whom have not been to college before and this is the first time they taste freedom and independence. Most young folks here speak some English even though some may act like they donít . Besides we all have polish classes that helps us make our social lives here easier.
Conclusion: Well I believe you need to work really hard to succeed in medical school and Lodz is no different. There could be frustrations sometime but such is life. You just need to focus and study hard.
If you have any question you could send me a private message but I believe I have done my best to answer most of the questions you may have. I spent a lot of time doing this. I could have studied for my quiz on Tuesday morning J but I decided to this becos I really get upset when disgruntled students paint a false picture of MUL. You should remember that most of these kids who had to leave becos they cannot pass will not make it in any real medical school.
Thanks

Eternalstudent
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
How is the exam content ?? I mean do they ask you really picky/nasty things or it it a simple matter to pass provided you study consistently and remember the most important points and have a good idea of the concepts. I mean would they fail you for example for missing a muscle orgin if the muscle originates in more than one area but you knew mostly everything else. ie if you missed one of the orgins of the Lat. Dorsi or Trapezeus.

Donkayci
03-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I think it really depends on the class. But overall if you prepare well you will do fine. For instance you really need to know your stuff in Anatomy to do well, the professor tends to use what we call multiple multiple choice where more than one answer could be correct. Sometimes the answer choices are unrelated so you could have a 20 question exam that could span the whole abdominal region. Plus there is also a written part and there are mostly half and half. There is nothing he on the test that has hasn't talked about in lectures, plus if you read you text books and other resources you will do fine. People fail because multiple-multiple can be tricky; you may be sure of one or two of the answer choices but not the others so you have to learn to analyze the questions well and eliminate the wrong ones especially if the sentence has posterior instead of anterior, left instead of right, ascending, descending etc.
I also believe that it also depends on your strengths because you find students doing very well in some classes but poorly on others. For instance there are students who can memorize basically the whole anatomy book and have major problems with classes like Biochemistry or Biophysics or sometimes physiology because these are not all about memorizing. You have to know the concepts, learn to analyze and be comfortable with some mathematics.
You find out which classes could give you problems and try to spend more time on them without getting complacent with my the others because this is medical school and nothing is easy. There could be lots of surprises.

apb1213
03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
hey Donkayci, thanks for the insite into the school. My name is Ashley and I will graduate college in the fall. I do not have all the pre-requists and am looking into 6 year programs. My degree is a B/S in Political Science with a minor in Business Adminstiion with a 3.216 gpa here at ECU. I have taken basic biology as well as a baby physics class and labs and am going to take another biolgy as well as chemistry class this summer to review up on some science. I am 27 years old and this is my 2nd go round in college. I left 3 years ago for a job opportunity and the business i was in shrank a couple years ago so i had to come back to graduate. I have since decided that i want to become a doctor and going to Poland is problably the best option for me because it would take me just as long to get all the pre-requists classes so going in the 6 year a good choice. Can you apply to the school without using an agent? I have been looking into Poznan and really dont know how this school compares. I am going to start applying soon and just looking to make the right choice. I will grad. in December, can you start Lodz in Jan or Feb or do you have to wait till the next fall like Poznan? How much does Lodz cost per year? Will I be able to get into the 6 year even though i am 27 years old with a college degree? Are there alot of graduates practicing in the US? Poznan has a ton and I have talked personally to a few so I know Poznan is good, but dont know anything about the other schools. I know that Lublin is a good school but you have to use an agent and that just doesnt make much sense too me so i dont want to waist money paying an agent. Any help you can give is awesome!!!

Eternalstudent
03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks a bunch :) I just wanted to know how they do things in Poland since I still might be studying there. I've eaten multiple multiples for breakfast over the past 5 years :) I know exactly how to eliminate questions based on key words. I know exactly what you mean when you hve to really pay attention to things like anterior posterior left right superficial deep ect.

From what you've written It's fair and manageable. I was just worried you'd have a multiple choice with say 5 different molecules that look the same with minor differences in functional groups and have to know which one is the intermediate metabolite in some obscure biochemical pathway ;)

I don't have any problems with basic math or concepts, Looks like I'll be set in europe no matter where I go

Donkayci
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Ashley, I do not think age is much of a problem here. Both my group and and 6 year group have students older than 27 and some are as young as 18 (especially in the 6 yr) I dont theink the school cares about about age as far you are qualified and willing to learm Unfortunately, you need to go through an agent(AIM) for MUL if you are from US or Canada. This brings the fees higher to about $22,000 per annum. The good thing about the six year program is that it is slower paced, they start with the basic sciences so it is helpful to people like u who feel they are not comfortable with the basic sciences. Looks like you have a degree and meet some of the four year requirements I would talk to AIM to see the best solution if you decide to go to Lodz.
The agents makes the fees expensive but they are the ones that help set up your rotations, residences, etc in the US and UK.
The English program has fewer graduates that Poznan because it is fairly new but all the graduates did very well on thier boards as far as I know. I have some friends in their 3rd yr did very well in thier USLME 1 exams. But in terms of graduates in genaral this school has produced thousands of MDs. You could read a bit about the history on the website.
Hope this helps

hcg1234
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Of course MUL has graduated many MDs. But here's the hitch: How many were US (American) Graduates that actually completed all the USMLEs, did residency and became licensed after graduating from MUL? Any school can claim they graduated MDs, in this case they were polish medical graduates. This program is only five years old and I still have yet to see all of that happen. Lublin and other Polish schools have already had graduates that did this but not MUL. That is a FACT. I wonder how many current juniors actually took the USMLE considering that many had quit and left MUL. I know some who transferred to Warsaw and also to the Caribbean. This year's class is really small than the last one which is fine. AS for residency, AIM DOES NOT help you for residency. I think the same principle applies for residency in the UK. That is a FALSE statement. You have to apply for residency on your own when you are close to ECFMG certification or are certified via ECFMGģ | Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (http://www.ecfmg.org) by taking the boards and applying for residency through the NRMP. AIM only takes care of the financial aspect of their agreement with MUL just like Hope Medical Institute (AKA HMIÖwow theyíre almost the same nameÖhow ironic and coincidental). MUL is the only one that takes care of the actual documentation that you HAVE to send to ECFMG based in Philly. Check it out for yourself. You can do the rotations but can anyone seriously afford $650/week for every rotation (NOT including rent) for all two years of rotations. Thatís a financial decision that everyone will have to make. In my opinion, when I ďshopped aroundĒ many told me that was an exorbitant price. Donkayci, your statement: all the graduates did very well on thier boards as far as I knowÖ.is unfounded. I have yet to hear all graduates did well on their boards considering the fact many graduated without taking the boards and when you say the boards does that mean step 1, step 2 and CSA????? It does not matter what foreign medical school, you have to go through ECFMG to take the exams and apply for residency through the NRMP match program to get the residency of your dreams. Again, AIM DOES NOT HELP FOR YOUR RESIDENCY. Donkayci..Check your facts before you make statements that can be very misleading. Im sure the stuff I just told you and everyone who reads this that you donít even know the step by step process in order to become a doctor in the US. Take care everyone and shop wiselyÖcause in this day of economic depression and no jobs you canít afford to take risks with any foreign medical school unless you know everything from A to Z.

Donkayci
03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
This HCG1234 guy or gal thinks he/she knows everything. He/she should find a job or something instead of staying on this 24/7 being bitter. Well I'm not stupid and I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, I know every process needed to get a residency and work in the US If you claim to know you facts, you would also know that it really doesn't matter where you graduate one the school is on the WHO list. I know doctors from many parts of the world that are practicing in the US. You have to pass your boards. No matter where you go to school outside the US you are considered a foreign medical graduate. You can rant all you want but I'm glad that most people on Value MD do not want to hear from you. Find a JOB. I said that all the students I know that took the USLME did really well and that is a FACT. I am not the biggest fun of AIM but I am not as pessimistic as you are. AIM does not train me to be a doctor. Please I do not want you on my thread start you own if you are really knowledgeable and have so much to say. I can bet my last penny that if you are a formal student you failed out that is why you are so bitter. I've seen lots of you posts and I have seen lots of people disagreeing or not wanting to hear what you have to say.
You said "I think the same principle applies for residency in the UK" check your facts. I fact I don't want to waste my time with Mr/Mrs HCG1234 bitter, know it all but can *** exams, wanna be doctor.
Remember I mentioned that I am not trying to paint a Rosy picture of MUL but you should not let your hatred and bitterness clog you judgment and posts. it is not thier fau that you failed out.
Thanks

Eternalstudent
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Polish schools will train you to become a good doctor no doubt there, but it's not the issue. You ned to get a job once you graduate and that's the bottom line. People who graduate outside of English speaking countries ie Eastern Europe or Caribbean have prejudice against them because people in the US think Poland et al. medical schools still use leeches, and vodka as an anasthetic, in their medical procedures.

Technically if the school is on WHO's list then you can easly get a job. In fact most schools are on WHO's list since all that's required is the school being recognized by the state it's in. When it comes to the interviewing for a potential job however, you can bet that not all IMG's are equal even if in theory they are or should be. A British graduate will definitly get the job before the Polish graduate if step scores are equal.

Donkayci
03-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Esteranal Student,
You certainly have a point and I do concur that not graduates from all countries are considered equal even though they are supposed to be since it is still human beings doing the interviews and selections perceptions play a role. My point was that when you are comparing Polish schools there may not be much difference between them so it is crazy when someone tries to bash one in favor of the other. I am also pretty sure or at least hope that most people coming here to Poland know what the possible consequences are. In my view it is better than going most of the Caribbean schools. Poland is part of the EU and at least you have opportunities in the EU in the worst scenario. Plus most of these schools in Poland are established school that have their own people and other Europeans for years they were not created to grab the left over and rejected students from the US and Canadian medical schools. I am in here because I believe I will come out as a good doctor and with good preparation I will be able to find a job anywhere in world. I am the belief that it is how you make it even though who makes you and how you are made plays a little role.

Thanks

Donkayci
03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Esteranal Student,
You certainly have a point and I do concur that not graduates from all countries are considered equal even though they are supposed to be since it is still human beings doing the interviews and selections perceptions play a role. My point was that when you are comparing Polish schools there may not be much differences between them so it is crazy when someone tries to bash one in favor of the other. I am also pretty sure or at least hope that most people coming here to Poland know what the possible consequences are. In my view it is better than goingto most of the Caribbean schools. Poland is part of the EU and at least you have opportunities in the EU in the worst scenario. Plus most of these schools in Poland are established schools that have trained their own people and other Europeans for years they were not created to grab the left over and rejected students from the US and Canadian medical schools. I am in here because I believe I will come out as a good doctor and with good preparation I will be able to find a job anywhere in world. I believe that it is how you make it even though who makes you and how you are made plays a little role.

Thanks

Eternalstudent
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I agree on both counts :cool: carribean schools are not recognized anywhere but the US + they are crazy expensive. Definitly only for people that know they will be working in the US because of family ties there. Programs in Poland are all essentially clones of each other yes, but I personally would go to Krakow or Warsaw. Hospitals are probably better equipped there and there are probably more english speaking patients especialy in Warsaw. Krakow is a nice city than any of them. Anyway, any Polish program you succeed will work for you, the factors I mentioned above are not too important in the long run. Good luck with your studies :)

hcg1234
03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Donkayci...It seems you have chosen to disrespect me and denegrate me(you decided to have some beef with me). That shows me what kind of a doctor and human being you really are. (FYI, you are not the first person to tell me that I failed out of MUL. Please check the other thread...someone already beat you to it). Anytime I'm pointing out the facts, I'm the one who gets shot at but that's ok; like you said you know exactly what you are getting into. If so, then you better make sure that you get out of it once you finish at MUL. I'm glad for those who passed the USMLEs (if that TRULY is the case). However, in my experience at MUL, the teaching at MUL does NOT prepare you for medicine and the board exams. AIM/MUL does not tell the truth about licensure rules in the US. I know this years group is only about 20-30 students for the first year of the four year program. Most people I know left the school or never returned or transferred. Here's another question; "If one wants to be a doctor in the US, why would anyone have Europe in the back of their mind as a backup?" Can anyone really afford $650/week not including room whether doing rotations in US or UK? I wonder if the US rotations truly exist. I wish the new people the best but be aware the REAL reality once you finish MUL. And if Donkayci you are one of them, I TRULY TRULY from the bottom of my heart, wish you the most THE BEST.

Bluebox8
03-17-2009, 10:25 AM
<This HCG1234 guy or gal thinks he/she knows everything. He/she should find a job or something instead of staying on this 24/7 being bitter... (yada yada).. Please I do not want you on my thread start you own if you are really knowledgeable and have so much to say..."

Um. Right.

Look, you're doing a good job of telling others about Lodz, Mr. Don, out of the goodness of your heart. However, sounds like Mr. HCG has "been there, done that", TOO, and out of the goodness of HIS heart, he wants to encourage people just to pick up their antennae a bit. I, for one, have enjoyed what he's written over the past months, just because it has made me keep my own eyes open, and be ready to ask MORE questions instead of assuming a lot.

Really don't see the need to bash a person who wants to enjoy the 'net as much as anyone, and to share his experiences with others. Yes, there has been evident a bitter streak now and then, but maybe it was warranted, and besides, I don't recall him ever flaming other ValueMDers, so he sounds like a decent sort. 'Twould be a pity to toss him off "your" thread. :-)

Question -- does anyone, ANYONE have any details about exactly where MUL finds itself in the California-approval drama? Is MUL even trying to gain approval? Is it behind in paperwork, or just doesn't feel like applying period? Would appreciate any info, even rumors.

Donkayci
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Donkayci...It seems you have chosen to disrespect me and denegrate me(you decided to have some beef with me). That shows me what kind of a doctor and human being you really are. (FYI, you are not the first person to tell me that I failed out of MUL. Please check the other thread...someone already beat you to it)...............

It's all good, I have no beef and lets not trivialize the issue. You already know the kind of person I am? and that is not judgmental? Anyway, I certainly apologize if I hit some nerves, but I still stick to most of my statements and I still wander if HCG.. failed out of MUL of not. Remember, I'm not trying to say everything here is OK, my only argument is stay in the US if you want a "perfect" medical experience. If you choose to come to any of these schools outside, there are going to be many surprises, adjustments and some disappointments not matter were you go. But I also believe that once you are here and you stay positive, do what you have to do, success will not elude you. This is Eastern Europe at least for now you cannot really compare it to US. They have their own rules and thay are set on thier ways. I sometimes blame AIM for not being clear about some of these rules, I get the impression that AIM does not even know. I have mentioned on one of my treads that I have my own reservations about AIM. I'm not here to play the hate/blame game I just wanted to inform people as truthfully and concisely as possible about the situation here at MUL.
Believe it or not they make you study hard, so if you have problems with being at your A game all the time you may not survive here. There is a lot of self study at the first year level because you are mostly expected to know basically everything in the text books. Very few professors give outlines of what to expect on exams, most of them will say "Know everything" This can get frustrating at times but I guess that is part of the training that we had to get used to. Because most if us from the US are used to professors giving us hints, outlines, reviews etc of exams. As I mentioned before exams can be very difficult, but I will not hate, I just motivates me to study even harder.
As far us training for USLME, this school unlike, most of the Caribbean schools wasn't built to train people to pass USLME, it was built to train doctors. It is true that AIM is not straight forward about some of the information the website. The fact is you are trained here as a doctor first and if you want to take any exam to practice any where you are mostly on your own. They provide resources like NBME exams, etc but they also believe that their training should prepare you for any exam. This is not always true because every exam structure is different so you will need to acquaint yourself with the structure but the general premise is true.
There is always room for improvement, but there is no way you can graduate from here if you donít know your stuff and I have no problems with that.
Thanks for your good wishes and good luck to you too. As I mentioned before if you need more info you can send me a private mail. Itís getting really busy (this is Ludz) so I do not check ValueMD often.
Peace

YVRstudent
03-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Donkayci,

Thanks for all the info and insight into the MUL!
I have been admitted to both MUL and PUMS? From your experience and friends you have encounter what would you say about each school?

I'm just having a very hard time to decide which one of these school to go to?

If your going into the 6 yr program, would you suggest taking the MCAT to prepare yourself for med school? I know its a lot more laid back compare to the 4yr program but is it still a big jump from college as per the work load.

thanks
AC

Donkayci
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Congrats. I don't know much about PUMS. Most of what I know about MUL I have posted on previous threads. Unless you have some specific questions?
4yr or 6yr, I believe it is up to you. I wouldn't have given up college for anything. You also get the chance to learn more about other stuff, liberal arts etc. Exposure you get is priceless. Besides you never know, you could learn more about yourself which could help you make a better decision about your future. You also have to ask yourself why u want to come to Europe, consider all the pros and cons; and the pros and cons of not going to college. You may want to take the MCAT, go to a US medical school, U may get more opportunities, scholarships, the list goes on. At the same time, the 6yr kids here seem to love it, everything is laid back, they start doing some rotations right away, but I know some struggle with the basic sciences and biophysics due to little or no prior exposure that one will get if they had gone to college. At the same time you could also be a doctor in 6yrs
Think hard and know what you want.
Send me private email if you have specific questions.

hcg1234
03-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Question -- does anyone, ANYONE have any details about exactly where MUL finds itself in the California-approval drama? Is MUL even trying to gain approval? Is it behind in paperwork, or just doesn't feel like applying period? Would appreciate any info, even rumors.

As a matter of fact, I know for a FACT MUL has NOT applied for California. Read my earlier post in the other thread about Cali when you get a chance. MUL IS NOT APPROVE BY THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA PERIOD; until MUL does the paperwork. I know for a FACT THEY HAVE NOT even though many students requested them to do so. SO until you see (includes english program) and you want Cali lcensure, dont graduate from MUL. Go to Lublin, PUMS or Krakow which are the only current Polish medical schools approving the english programs. Which kind of tells you a lot about them and a total difference about MUL. But hey I guess if you dont care about Cali then come to MUL and then later in life you can say damn I wish I graduated from a medical school that had Cali licensure.

hcg1234
03-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Donkayci, you last said:"It's all good, I have no beef and lets not trivialize the issue. You already know the kind of person I am? and that is not judgmental? Anyway, I certainly apologize if I hit some nerves, but I still stick to most of my statements and I still wander if HCG.. failed out of MUL of not. "

Donkayci, Your efforts to discredit me is futile. You're the one who is trivializing the issue from the beginning. Wow you are so concerned bout me and whether I should get a job or not, it make me feel very special.

Now to get back to the matter at hand: AIM/MUL

How many states is the degree licensable or not? If you dont care about California licensure, then by all means come to MUL.

Why should anyone pay $650/week for clinical rotations when others
outside of MUL offer for less?

And where are these US clinical rotations? Accoridng to AIM's website, they are northeast, south, and west or something like that. It's confusing. When one looks at HMI's website, they clearly list the locations of the rotations including the one Canda. What's the secercy behind AIM? Maybe for a FACT that I know they dont have US clinical rotations.

If those people actually took the USMLEs (and not USLMEs as stated by donkayci), then are they really doing US rotations?

Any medical school can graduate doctors, but which ones actually take the effort to make you US doctors like the Caribbean does Especially the BIG THREE whose degrees are licensable in all the states??????

MUL can make you a doctor, no doubt.

But it can only make "lodz" doctors-------if you can understand the pronunciation in polish,then you get the joke.

These are things that are the matter at hand.

Stop worrying abbout me and worry about yourself Donkayci.

Good luck to "ALL" the first year students at MUl.

ishiko
05-31-2009, 03:51 AM
hye donkayci,
i know that i might be too late for asking you this but i just found out about this forum yesterday.:doh:hehehe anyway..since you are already in you first year so you must have succesfully passed the interview right? :cool:well, i'll be having the interview tomorrow!!! so i really really need you help if you could give some of the questions they might asked beside why do you want to be a doc or why this university. it would be a great help if you could reply to me today!! hehehe :):D

Parastie
06-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Hello, my name is John Swayne and I'm currently finishing my 3rd of the 6 year program. I'd like to offer any advice I can to incoming and students that are thinking about joining us. For background, I'm a US citizen who will go back to the US for his residency when I finish. Hopefully to Texas.

I believe Donkayci has accurately described everything. For some reason, a lot of people tend to worry about California's licensing program. You should know that currently, no 6 year program is currently licensed in there, and 4 year English program are listed.

I do not believe this should discourage anyone from coming. The vast majority of states (including Texas) will go on a case-by-case basis if your school is not listed. Keep in mind, that Texas will give you a physician in training license with the only qualification being entrance into a credited residency program and a medical degree from somewhere. Full license can be had later. I find that this is the vast majority for state practices. You should know that Texas does not list ANY polish schools. If you want to do residency there, you'll be in the same boat no matter where in Poland you go.

You should also know that MUL/AIM is trying to get California accreditation. Yes we have asked for them to the paper work before and they did not, but that has not stopped us from trying to get it.

As for US graduates. Last year was the first American students to have graduated from the 4 year program here. I am not currently aware as to what they're doing now. I have 2 friends that will graduate this year and they have completed USMLE 1 and part of 2. I will keep track of them and see where they go. They did well on the USMLE and are very smart students. I believe they will have no problems finding a residency.

Again, don't let California discourage you from going to med school. You must realize that the United States is a very large country and the odds of anyone from an international program getting into a top ranked residency program is extremely low. If you're shooting only for California then you have a very narrow vision of the entire US medical field. Let me repeat: It will be extremely difficult if not impossible to get into any top ranked programs as an IMG. Like any medical graduate, you must travel from coast to coast looking for a residency program. Don't sell yourself short by giving up if California won't take you.

hcg1234
06-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Hey John

A few things for clarification and a few comments:

1) You stated: You should also know that MUL/AIM is trying to get California accreditation. Yes we have asked for them to the paper work before and they did not, but that has not stopped us from trying to get it.

That statement is contadictory. It doesnt add up. Plus if you know the paperwork, MUl needs to fulfill Cali's guidelines and requirements for licensure approval. And Cali is a perfect example of where MUl's degree is NOT licensible. But like I sid before, if u dont care about Cali licensure then definitely graduate from MUL ( like your friends are currently doing now). These kinds of things AIM/MUL should publicly display on their websiteand /or student handbook. Look at other schools that publish their information as compared to MUl.

2) Like I said before, I have not heard of US students doing US Clinical rotations. If your friends passed step 1, then did they or did they not do US clinical rotations provided by AIM not MUL (at a rate of $600/week---or has this price gone up John???). By the way, where are these locations of hospials(and if they are accredited hospitals) to your knowledge???Look at the caribbean big three--they list them openly.

3) biophysics is the least of a worry for a medical graduate from US. I know those students u're talking about and they're not from US and they dont intend on going to the US anyway.Let's just say they're from the "european area"

4)the reason AIM is hard to get a hold of is because the only time they really talk to you is when it's about money. other than that, good luck in finding out and sorting other issues related to the university.

5) The cali approval i know for sure is for the 4yr program. I have no clue about the 6yr "english program" approval. that you'll have to contact them.

6)I'm still waiting for donkayci to answer mdva90's question about students doing US rotations....donkayci..hello are u there and available to answer that question??? So far John has answered that question. Can you answer that donkayci???

7) as for as a "top notch" residency is concerned, your best bet for any aspiring medical student is to graduate from a US medical school.

8) licnesure approval maybe case by case. but who's going to wait for that paperwork to be sorted out and ultimately they decide the approval or not.

9)IDK texas rules...you have to check what they are for residency and licensure.

Thanks for the clarification John.

Sharkey
06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Doe this university allow transfer students from caribbean medical schools onto their 4-year course for the clinical rotation part.

hcg1234
06-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Wow---you must be having a bad experience at your school too---What school is that if you don't mind??

Ask AIM for transfer information. They'll tell u that. Be aware that the rotation prices are $600/week and now I've heard it as high as $650. Make sure those rotations in US are accredited rotations.

Is there anyone out there, who went to MUL, passed the usmle step 1 and went to USA and NOTTTTT UK for rotations??? Please respond.

Sharkey
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
I don't have a bad experience anywhere but I'm starting a caribbean school and want to do atleast a year in the caribbean then transfer to polish medical school that will accept me.

hcg1234
07-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Question: why do u want to transfer from a medical school that u have yet to attend and then transfer to a polish one???

Why not finish completely with the one in the caribbean or completely with the ones in poland??---Can u explain your reason for doing so?

I'm sure there is a possibility of transfer but just like when u transfer from one school to another you have to abide by the new school's requirements and finish whatever you maybe missing in their program which means more time to finish their requirements---please be aware of that.

what is the cost of US clinical rotations in the program where you will be attending???--Have they informed you of that???

Sharkey
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I think financially it is cost efficient that's why I'm considering it. The clinical rotation for this particular caribbean school costs around $9k/yr. I'm still exploring opportunities and haven't yet decided where to head.

hcg1234
07-08-2009, 12:45 AM
$9k/yr seems very affordable to me as compared to MUL which is offering UK and US rotations for $600-650/week rotation. I wish I was at that Caribbean that is giving the offer.That's even cheaper than some of the ones my friends told me about.

here's another question: Does the Caribbean school offer federal stafford loans for all four years??

Donkayci: Im still waiting for your reply. Please let others know if any student from MUL went to US for US rotations and then graduated. You stated you had known friends of yours and I have yet to hear that response. It's already July and I KNOW MUL is closed academically and they had the graduation three weeks ago.

Still waiting.................

Donkayci
07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Sharkey,
Yes they do transfer and but u have to make sure they are going to transfer all your credits and let them put it on paper. The problem here is that sometimes if you do not get everything signed, some department head drag their feet. It happened to a friend of mine who transferred from the Caribbean. he had to retake on class and that cost him.
Do what you want don't let that that HCG guy discourage you. I also believe that it is nice to think ahead and have a back up plan. Let me know if you have any questions?

mdva09
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Donkeyci and others,
Can you guys please give us an answer about US rotations? does this school have a rotations in the US? if they do do u know any one doing those rotations?. I asked this qs but no one seem to answer it and I am afraid that there is no rotations. I don't understand why student from this school don't want to talk about rotations in the US.

Donkayci
07-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Yes they do have rotations and there are people who have completed them, some are planning to start if the do will in the USLME. But I must say that, most students opt to do it in UK and Poland(at least 3rd yr). Ofcourse Poland is cheaper (Cons: langauge could be a problem eventhough you have an interpreter, you know how that goes you may loose out on stuff) but most students I talk to like it but personally I would prefer to be able to understand the patient and doctor, I will learn more) and UK is more condusive, u get al lyor rotations at one location (caveat: as expensive as US)
Problem in the US is you DO NOT get to do everything at one spot, one girl did it at two places, but most people were at 3 hospitals.

Hope that helps, thats all I know.

annskimd
07-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Donkeyci and others,
Can you guys please give us an answer about US rotations? does this school have a rotations in the US? if they do do u know any one doing those rotations?. I asked this qs but no one seem to answer it and I am afraid that there is no rotations. I don't understand why student from this school don't want to talk about rotations in the US.

most people do not want to talk about it cause it is such a complicated process to do clinicals in the states, it is alot of headache, moveing around and waiting. you can not do much of your clinicals in states if you want to do them ALL you have to have atleast an 85 on step 1 first off and let alone with the electives (which you set up yourself- 12 weeks) you can do only about 1 year if your lucky but this is NOT back to back rotations so you are setting yourself for more delay in your finish date, also if you depend on loans it gets very expensive, we do have fed loan but it does not cover all the tuition if you go to US/UK and we have one type of private loan (if you are U.S. citizen) which you have to pay back while you are in school. for these reasons, oh and also you lose NY, cause if you do more then 12 weeks outside the county your school is in you eliminate these residency spots (bc Lodz is not accreditated for NY, you can check this yourself on the NY health dept. website). so for these many rules and crap you have to follow just to do clinicals in states most people just keep it easy/safe and stay in Poland or go to UK (since it is all in one place and back to back). hope that helps to why you can't find many people from Lodz in the states doing clinicals. best of luck in your decision :-)

Sharkey
07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
hc, no that particular school does not offer loans.

donkayci, so are you saying the clinical placement cost in the UK same as the US ($650/week or so)? have you heard of any european people doing the ERASMUS exchange for their clinical years in their original european country? which should be free. it says on medical university of lodzs website that theya re part of the ERASMUS.

annskimd
07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
hc, no that particular school does not offer loans.

donkayci, so are you saying the clinical placement cost in the UK same as the US ($650/week or so)? .

yes they do have those loans for American students cause i take them out myself and also applying again for this year
It is a little bit harder for the Canadian students though, they must pull out private Bank loans.

and no the cost is NOW 700usd/week and yes it is for U.S. or the U.K.that does not include the malpractice insurance and what nots that is strictly the tuition price.

Sharkey
07-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Wow the clinical placement is expensive for sure, if i decide to come to lodz I'll definitely do my placement in poland to save costs. i wanted to find out about the 3rd and 4th year, when you do clinical placements (for example in the UK) where do you do the exam then for the clinicals?

btw. the loan bit was for a caribbean school that hcg asked about.

VALUE 11
09-29-2009, 05:44 PM
I am wondering how many in takes do they have for the 4 year program. Is it only in september or september and another time?

Donkayci
09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
If I understand your question, students can only start in september. Thanks

MKR16
11-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Is there any way I can apply to the dental program without taking physics? Im currently a sophomore at Texas State University and have already taken a couple of sciences (i am a pre-nursing major right now), which does not say much, but I read on the application process that physics was recommended. Can i somehow wave it? PLEASE HELP!!

ujup79
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Hello,
I was admitted to start next september 2011, and just recieved an email from MUL this week, that federal loans are suspended for incoming students for the 2010/2011 school year due to President's Obama new healthcare acts???? Did any incoming student get this email? What are the choices left for payment of tuition? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Donkayci
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Not sure why they do will that, we still have Grad plus, maybe is due to problems with AIM. I suggest u contact the school. Sallie Mae gives loans to students. But I will check with the school first. Send me a private email

siheg
09-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know why AIM is not working with Lodz?

Donkayci
09-02-2010, 08:42 AM
They are not really telling us why but we believe is money issues, we heard some complaints from both sides before. They don't need AIM much anyway, makes tuition cheaper, they just need one person in the the US to do thier financial aid, and few misc stuff. Most students choose to do thier rotations in Poland bcos its very cheap and its very hands-on. The Prof. are very smart, most student learn a lot. I few go to UK i dont think they need AIM for that.

misscanadian
08-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Any updates on whether or not graduates have done residency in either the US or Canada from MUL? and is AIM still not associating with MUL? Also- the admissions office is very frustrating to deal with. I have been trying to ask questions etc. and they are not very helpful at all. It looks as though I may try my had with the other Polish Medical Schools- something is very suspicious with this one! And I need to make sure I can get back to Canada!

tfcfan
08-31-2011, 08:49 PM
does anyone know anything about dress code at MUL, what things you need for 1st year, are there any restrictions? I am starting to pack for the year and looking if someone can give me tips. Can one wear fitted jeans and a t-shirt to a lecture?

mattbiernat
12-01-2011, 03:48 PM
"It is true that we have some tough exams " Ii have no problems with tough exams, I do however have problems with exams being off topic. And by the way, you sound like a spokesperson for Lodz. Potential students, do yourself a favor and go to a Caribbean medical school. And this is coming form a person who was born in Poland, graduated in US, finished 2 years at Ross University and passed USMLE with 209.

misscanadian
01-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Two students last year scored in the 99th percentile on the USMLE from Lodz and one in the 90th- and those are the only three i have spoken to, im sure others did great. so congrats on the 209 but if you arent even a student at MUL then why are you in this thread? I am a first year 4 year MD student at Lodz and if anyone has any questions feel free to message me- I will give you a first hands perspective on the school.

"It is true that we have some tough exams " Ii have no problems with tough exams, I do however have problems with exams being off topic. And by the way, you sound like a spokesperson for Lodz. Potential students, do yourself a favor and go to a Caribbean medical school. And this is coming form a person who was born in Poland, graduated in US, finished 2 years at Ross University and passed USMLE with 209.

misscanadian
01-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Two students last year scored in the 99th percentile on the USMLE from Lodz and one in the 90th- and those are the only three i have spoken to, im sure others did great. so congrats on the 209 but if you arent even a student at MUL then why are you in this thread? I am a first year 4 year MD student at Lodz and if anyone has any questions feel free to message me- I will give you a first hands perspective on the school.
And a lot of things have changed here since the initial posts from mid 2000's- as it was a new program. Most final exams are now NBME.

hcg1234
01-26-2012, 06:59 AM
its good to hear some positive news. But just was wondering if MUL is offering rotations in US and if so at what cost per week/semester? If not, then are most or all students attending rotaions in Lodz or are some of them going to the UK rotations that was formerly associated with AIM and at what cost per week/semester? please advise.

misscanadian
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
rotations are being offered but they are expensive- the same price for any international student- although i am unsure of the exact pricing- I will do further research and chat with some upper year students and get back to you asap.

its good to hear some positive news. But just was wondering if MUL is offering rotations in US and if so at what cost per week/semester? If not, then are most or all students attending rotaions in Lodz or are some of them going to the UK rotations that was formerly associated with AIM and at what cost per week/semester? please advise.

bidiboom
02-03-2012, 03:50 AM

Lodz also became news here in Turkey too with the navigation system they developed for blinds.

Sobky
04-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks For Your Post & Your Help

Well , I Just Got Accepted In MUL & I Also Got Accepted In Wroclaw Medical University & I Have Some Inquiries

- What Is The NBME Course ? Like Is It Equal To USMLE Or Just Prepare You For It ? Is It Obligatory For All Students ?

- Are People Of Lodz Friendly Or Are They Racisit Towards Arabs ( I Am Egyptian ) ?

- Is There Any Egyptians ? Because By Far I Was Told That I Am The First Egyptian To Get Accepted In MUL

seekingMD
06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
If you have any questions about MUL ask me. I will do my best answer most of them and I will let you know if I canít answer since I am only first year.
I am in the 1st yr of the 4yr English program and to sum it up so far so good. That is not to say everything has been Rosy, this is medical school. You need to study hard to make it. If you want my opinion about Proffessors. I will say some are excellent and some are not so good like everywhere. I didnít go to Havard but Iím pretty sure not all the professors there are good either. I have had my own frustrations sometimes but remember that this is not the US, this is Poland and the system in Europe is generally a bit different so to survive you have to understand this and adjust your mindset to accommodate some of the problems that you might face here coming from US or Canada.

Facilities: They have very good Facilities, labs are nice, everything is hands on, Assistants are very helpful and knowledgeable. My Anatomy assistant (TA) is a surgeon. Our coordinators try their best to work with us. Even though things turn to move a bit slower here, they do listen and the mostly try to solve the problems especially if it comes from the whole class.

English language: I have read lots of these threads about Profs having bad English blah blah blah, well for the first year I will say only a handful of them. Others are pretty good and even the few that I personally have difficulties understanding have very nice and elaborate PowerPoints . I heard it gets better in second yr. Besides I went school in the US I had some professors that we very difficult to understand. My linear algebra professor worse worse than the my worst professor in Lodz and I went to a big ten school.

They are pretty strict here which I donít mind. I believe a medical doctor should have discipline and they are training US to be doctors and not just pass exams. It is true that we have some tough exams but what do you expect, this is medical school you shouldnít expect to get everything on a silver platter. Besides they give you the chance to redeem yourself with retakes. After the second retake they still give a chance to go to a committee to prove to them that may be your exams were not fair, so they give an oral. This committee includes the Dean. This when you asked to pay 200 Euros which I think is fair. You need something like that to deter students who will always want to use that to their advantage.
Initially travelling around for classes was a bit hectic but we all got used to it. Trams and buses are mostly on time and this time most of our classes are not far apart and I have about 50% (Biochem, Physiology, Biophysics) of my labs across from my dorm.
The books we use here are the same books we use in the US, the BRS's Lippincotts, Langs etc.

Living Conditions: I like my dorm room. Bigger than what I had in college. I have a cluster mate (2 rooms with one bath, toilet and a little common area) Every floor has a kitchen with everyone having their own locked cabinet. Every floor has a free washer and dryer (some colleges in the US do not have them free). Every room has internet, works fine, and 2 libraries close by. We all find ways to watch our favorite shows on TV. We do not miss out on that. The problem is some people may do it too much which may be detrimental to their academic performance.

City: Iím sure you can find that yourself but generally you can get almost anything you want. Even though the city itself is not as pretty as Warsaw and Krakow there are nice places to eat, shopping Malls, fast foods ( Micky Dees, KFC, Pizza Hut, subways etc) I havenít seen a Star Bucks yet in Lodz. Night life is crazy, it is Poland so can imagine lots of Vodka (cheap) , I think the Polish gals a very hot if you want to know, I canít tell you about the guys cos I canít make that judgment. The problem is the night life is so crazy that it could affect your studies if you let it overtake you. I believe that is one of the contributing factors of the mass failures of the previous years. If you have students not studying and drinking at every opportunity what do you expect. Especially those in the 6 yrs program most of whom have not been to college before and this is the first time they taste freedom and independence. Most young folks here speak some English even though some may act like they donít . Besides we all have polish classes that helps us make our social lives here easier.
Conclusion: Well I believe you need to work really hard to succeed in medical school and Lodz is no different. There could be frustrations sometime but such is life. You just need to focus and study hard.
If you have any question you could send me a private message but I believe I have done my best to answer most of the questions you may have. I spent a lot of time doing this. I could have studied for my quiz on Tuesday morning J but I decided to this becos I really get upset when disgruntled students paint a false picture of MUL. You should remember that most of these kids who had to leave becos they cannot pass will not make it in any real medical school.
Thanks

Hi,
I am a US citizen and just got accepted into the 4yr MD program, please would you know of any financial institution that i can get student loan from?i know Sallie mae does not work with MUL any more.

Thanks.

flytothesky
07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Hello, :)

Well, Im going to have a Skype interview soon. In the email that I got, it says that my answers should be typed. Does that include even the first part? where they will ask med about my personality, motivation etc...

The second question is, I have tried with the sample questions but found that I could answer like half of them only. I could answer all of them before but I forgot alot. So I am a bit worried and wonder if that would be a disaster if I would skip some questions?

And the last question, does any one knows how many applicants applied this year for the 5-year DMD program and how many will get accepted? If not, what about last year?

Thank you very much! :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.