PDA

View Full Version : hotels near UNIBE

JennyNuv
02-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Ok, so i've been looking into carribean schools for quite some time now and i'm ready to take the next step to go visit the school. My only problem is that I'm not sure of where to stay? I would like to find somewhere local, walking distance to stay in so i can go visit the school. Also, is it possible to go on a weekend to visit the school? Does anyone know of nearby hotels where one can stay to look at the school?

Naveenanirada
02-27-2009, 02:47 AM
1) Hotels: depends on your budget and on your preferences. If you can brave a 2 star hotel in the DR, you can get a hotel room around 800-1200 pesos. A 2 star hotel here is unlike a 2 star hotel in the USA.

Brand hotels like Holiday-Inn or Marriot may cost upto 100 USD a day, but the difference is palpable.

Try the following site DR1.com for hotels near Gazcuez.

2) Never visit a school during weekends. It will be dead.
The best days are weekdays, preferably middle of the week.Pls call in advance to check for national/public holidays. For example, today , the 27th of Feb, is DR's independence day, a holiday. Give your self 2 or 3 consecutive days.

Also,if you speak Spanish, try www.uce.edu (http://www.uce.edu/)
a 50 states recognized med school, with federal aid. Its 45 minutes away from Santo Domingo. There is a Howard Johnson hotel, which is adequate, but sucks bigtime.

If you are flying from NYC, Jet Blue has some low prices , but I am not sure as I bought my tickets like 2 months ago(USD 99.00,NYC-SDQ).

Good Luck and welcome to the DR!

gringostudent
02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
public service announcement. Edited.

dr cheno
03-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok, so i've been looking into carribean schools for quite some time now and i'm ready to take the next step to go visit the school. My only problem is that I'm not sure of where to stay? I would like to find somewhere local, walking distance to stay in so i can go visit the school. Also, is it possible to go on a weekend to visit the school? Does anyone know of nearby hotels where one can stay to look at the school?

when are u planning to start your semester?

its preferable to visit unibe during the first 2 weeks of a semester, and be sure to visit the school during weekdays, so u can get a better feel of it

sweet2826
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Why is it preferable to visit in the first 2 weeks of a semester? Also how long does it take for them to process an application, and to receive a response?

dr cheno
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Why is it preferable to visit in the first 2 weeks of a semester? Also how long does it take for them to process an application, and to receive a response?

in my opinion its preferable, because you can get a glimpse of the student life and get an easier chance to scout the labs and classrooms. also u might end up meeting med students that can show u the area, since in the first 1-2 weeks they have more free time

dr cheno
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
sorry, forgot to answer ur other question.

well, it depends to which semester ur applying. for instance, when applying to the jan or may semester, since the number of students that apply are significantly less than the sept semester, unibe's admissions committee tends to gather less often, and therefore take more time to evaluate the upcoming students

in my case i applied for the may semester, sent my application on late jan and yet havent heard a word. i called last week and they told me that the committe will start evaluating in march/mid-march

sweet2826
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Ok thank you. I also sent my application at the end of January, so that is good to know.

Cubanito76
03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
RUBEN'S HOTEL

Av. 27 De Febrero No 20, Santo Domingo
República Dominicana - Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo
Teléfono(s) : (1) (809) 2385040,(1) (809) 6885999

This is a place about 5 minutes walking distance to Unibe. I stayed there when I visited the school. It's NOT the Marriott. This place will cost you about 30 bucks a night; the Marriott on Maximo Gomez is close to 100 bucks a night and 10-15 min walking distance from school. Good luck!

dr cheno
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
RUBEN'S HOTEL

Av. 27 De Febrero No 20, Santo Domingo
República Dominicana - Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo
Teléfono(s) : (1) (809) 2385040,(1) (809) 6885999

This is a place about 5 minutes walking distance to Unibe. I stayed there when I visited the school. It's NOT the Marriott. This place will cost you about 30 bucks a night; the Marriott on Maximo Gomez is close to 100 bucks a night and 10-15 min walking distance from school. Good luck!

is this also an aparta/hotel?! and if so, how much would a monthly room go for?

Cubanito76
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
No it's regular hotel. Look, I took this picture 2 years ago from the 6th floor at Unibe. Look how close to school. If you talk to them, they'll give you a weekly or monthly rate. You have to negotiate like everything else here. You can find a good apartment in 1-2 weeks max anyway. Take your time and look around. The first couple weeks of class are slow anyway. Good luck!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/bigdaddycuba/100_0109.jpg

sweet2826
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
How far is the Marriot from UNIBE? Should I stay there if visiting UNIBE. If I get there on Thurs. afternoon will that give me enough time to get a good look at the campus before it is dead?

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.