PDA

View Full Version : saba vs others with fed loan

apdoc97
02-19-2009, 12:00 AM
I know Saba's tuition is cheaper, but with private loans only with a higher interest rate, which is a better option? Would I end up paying more during my residency if I were to choose Saba?

davidMD
02-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I know Saba's tuition is cheaper, but with private loans only with a higher interest rate, which is a better option? Would I end up paying more during my residency if I were to choose Saba?

the way I see it is that federal loans will not fully cover large tuitions + housing + extra spending such as SGU...so in order to fill the gap you need to use other loan options that have higher rates, on top of federal loans...

I don't think there is a clear answer...for me I chose my school first...
I say apply to the ones you like (SGU/Ross/AUC/Saba)...and research the crap out of them...look into clinical rotations...the ability to do greenbooks back to back...ask questions to the students that have gone through the process...ask current students...

After you pick your poison...then figure out the best way to pay for it...

Everyone will have their favorite school...for me I have my personal reasons...which may be very different from the next guy...

rokshana
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
actually, the schools that have federal loans are also eligible for GradPlus Loans....these are federally back loans that do take credit history into consideration, and while they are at a higher rate (8.9%) than the Staffords, are lower than most private alternative loans and are able to be deferred and consolidated. The GradPlus will cover to the COA.

But ***** is right....pick a school based on what you want and need froma school...sometimes you can get a deal of an education, but sometimes you get what you pay for...

apdoc97
02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll think about them later after I get some acceptance letters.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.