PDA

View Full Version : pass rate for boards

justanothernumber82
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
has anyone matched for residency from IAU? where? what is the pass rate for the boards with IAU? has IAU a prep course for their students? before i transfer into this place, i want some clear truthful answers-too many shady schools-

IAU Admissions
02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Last year one graduate matched to the Psychiatry program at Univ. of Kentucky. We currently have 70% pass rate for the boards. Yes IAU does offer USMLE review courses prior to the exam. We also offer NBME exams after each semester of the Basic Sciences. Let us know if you have any more questions.

sheephead
02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
70% out of how many students?

sheephead
02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
i recently got accepted to SGU and in the mail I received an official statistical analysis of the Pass rates from all over the carib. In the sheet was st. lucia and the pass % was an outstanding 14%.

IAU Admissions
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
American International Medical University, Destiny University, Spartan Health Science University, St Mary's School of Medicine are all medical schools other than IAU that operate out of St Lucia. So the SGU statistics that you are refering to could be a representation of the combined performance of all these schools.

deepk
02-12-2009, 08:25 PM
You mentioned that the passing rate is 70%.

Can you tell us out of how many students 70% have cleared the exam?

BrendaB_MD
02-12-2009, 09:40 PM

IAU Admissions
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
You mentioned that the passing rate is 70%.

Can you tell us out of how many students 70% have cleared the exam?

In the last two and half years 38 IAU students attempted the USMLE Step 1 Exam. Out of which 27 secured passing scores. These figures are current as of Feb 13 2009.

BrendaB_MD
02-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Scriveners Palsy
02-13-2009, 07:15 PM
The passing rate only tells part of the story. A prospective student also needs to know the number of people who were admitted in order to understand their overall chances of success. What were the sizes of the entering classes from which the 38 students originated? That is, what percentage of an admitted class go on to successfully pass the USMLE within 2.5 yrs?

...and in how many attempts.

deepk
02-13-2009, 08:10 PM
and how many have cleared step2 CK.
Out of this 70% how many have cleared step1 in the first attempt.

eskimo2008
02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
A lot of interesting questions asked here. I think it might be a little hard to come up with numbers on how many students out of the admitted ones actually made it to attempting the step 1. Where does the transfer students fit in ? Failed students ? Students who dropped out due to various non academic reasons ?

Most schools go by the number of students that were ECFMG certified and the pass rate based on that number. The Big schools have the highest filteration rate and they ensure that the students that they certify has the highest chances to pass.

Now, the interesting stat I would want to know is how many were able to pass in their first attempt.

BrendaB_MD
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM

eskimo2008
02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree with you Brenda MD. I guess the major factor that decides the performance on the boards is the admission policy. Lower the admission policy, lower will be the success in the USMLE's. And that does makes sense. Because if the "quality" of incoming students are high then their performance in the standardised exams will be high as well. But then why would a "high quality" student not go to a US Med school or the Big4 Carib school ? I think the very reason why many of the mediocre Caribbean Schools exist is that they give a chance for lower quality students to persue their dream of becoming a physician.

BrendaB_MD
02-16-2009, 01:22 AM

triplej
05-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello,
I am second semester student here @ IAU and I cant answer your question on residency match but i can tell you that the Boards results for last semester was really good. Witout mentioning #'s , most scores were on par with the american medical schools and ofcourse there were a few outstanding performances as well (80th and 90th percentile). On top of that ,all ten students from the fourth passed their boards and are in Chicago doing ICM right now. i am so jealous!

Crane
04-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Hello,
I am second semester student here @ IAU and I cant answer your question on residency match but i can tell you that the Boards results for last semester was really good. Witout mentioning #'s , most scores were on par with the american medical schools and ofcourse there were a few outstanding performances as well (80th and 90th percentile). On top of that ,all ten students from the fourth passed their boards and are in Chicago doing ICM right now. i am so jealous!

I happen to think that students with good study habits and certain degree of maturity can do a lot better in smaller schools that the larger schools that everyone thinks are so great. In smaller schools, you probably have a more even playing field than larger ones where number of the entering classes are so large that there is an incentive on part of the school to fail out as many people as they can due to space limitations in clinicals. This is a common problem in all the Carribean schools that accept too many students. For this reason, the statistics published by larger schools about residencies and USMLE pass rate is highly skewed and very unreliable. Although IAU is one of the newer schools, the NY approval, no wait clinical placements, and their progressive cirriculum are positive points rearly seen in other schools that are as young as IAU.

BrendaB_MD
08-28-2010, 01:14 AM

MD121
11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
In the last two and half years 38 IAU students attempted the USMLE Step 1 Exam. Out of which 27 secured passing scores. These figures are current as of Feb 13 2009.

Could please provide updated numbers?

Crane
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Could please provide updated numbers?

Don't believe anything people tell you about this school. This includes the pass rate. They don't even have people graduating every year. The place is a junk yard, to put it mildly.

HawaiiAnderson
11-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Don't believe anything people tell you about this school. This includes the pass rate. They don't even have people graduating every year. The place is a junk yard, to put it mildly.

Can I ask why you had a change of heart? From your previous post it looked like you were supporting the school. What went wrong?

Crane
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I did more research on the school, including talking to students outside the orchestrated atmosphere of IAU. Moreover, I learned than those people in Dallas don't have a single honest bone in their bodies.

deepk
11-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I did more research on the school, including talking to students outside the orchestrated atmosphere of IAU. Moreover, I learned than those people in Dallas don't have a single honest bone in their bodies.

You are right. They will never reveal the true information. All I know the passing rate of USMLE step 1 is between 20-30% for IAU (varies depending upon the average IQ of the batch).

They will tell you about the high NBME board exam passing rate but will never tell you about their extremely generous cure.

SK

IAU Admissions
11-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I find it amusing that "Crane" has completed an anthropology review to conclude that we dont have any "honest" bones in our bodies. Your animosity towards the Dallas staff makes me wonder whether you are an ex-IAU student who got kicked out of school. And I sincerely hope that you are not a school official at some other school, because that is going to reflect bad on our profession. Either ways I could care less for your opinions here and please dont even bother to respond.

The staunch MUA supporter "deepk"'s assertions that our USMLE passrate is 20-30%, is totally baseless. Even though I must agree that the ability to pass the USMLE depends on the degree of preparation that a student undertakes. Not what school he/she attends.

Our current passrate for the Step 1 is around 68% and for the Step 2 is over 85%. These passrates are based on the number of students whom we certified with ECFMG to date.

If readers have any relevant questions, kindly email me directly at [email protected]

Crane
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
I find it amusing that "Crane" has completed an anthropology review to conclude that we dont have any "honest" bones in our bodies. Your animosity towards the Dallas staff makes me wonder whether you are an ex-IAU student who got kicked out of school. And I sincerely hope that you are not a school official at some other school, because that is going to reflect bad on our profession. Either ways I could care less for your opinions here and please dont even bother to respond.

The staunch MUA supporter "deepk"'s assertions that our USMLE passrate is 20-30%, is totally baseless. Even though I must agree that the ability to pass the USMLE depends on the degree of preparation that a student undertakes. Not what school he/she attends.

Our current passrate for the Step 1 is around 68% and for the Step 2 is over 85%. These passrates are based on the number of students whom we certified with ECFMG to date.

If readers have any relevant questions, kindly email me directly at [email protected]

"Anthropology" is the study of humanity. It wouldn't apply to you!:rolleyes:

deepk
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Well said........

deepk
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Percentage does not make sense until you tell us the raw numbers.

"85 % of what number cleared their step 2?"

IAU Admissions
11-04-2010, 09:08 AM

As Jim Rohn rightly said “The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.”

So let me have my laugh and remind you that this is the most humane it will get in valuemd, with a name, email address and phone number for other humans to verify my humanity :rolleyes:

Percentage does not make sense until you tell us the raw numbers."85 % of what number cleared their step 2?"

To date, 13 out of 15 students certified with ECFMG have successfully completed the USMLE Step 2 CK & CS.

For related questions or comments, please email me at [email protected] or call me direct at 972-919-5158

adidas1
11-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't understand why is everyone bashing the admins? Specifically Crane and deepk, do you guys have concrete facts to back up your assertions about the school and it's administration? Otherwise it just seems like trolling.

adidas1
11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
duplicate post.

Crane
11-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't understand why is everyone bashing the admins? Specifically Crane and deepk, do you guys have concrete facts to back up your assertions about the school and it's administration? Otherwise it just seems like trolling.

There are posts by you stating that you did not believe the admission staff at IAU. Now you are accusing others of trolling. What happened? Did they con you to go to IAU?

Why are you posting the same message twice?

adidas1
11-19-2010, 08:38 PM
There are posts by you stating that you did not believe the admission staff at IAU. Now you are accusing others of trolling. What happened? Did they con you to go to IAU?

Why are you posting the same message twice?

I'll be attending USESOM. My initial assessment of IAU was negative because of the NY approval situation. However, I've seen their administrator on here clear it up as best as he can. I still think they shouldn't mention NY on their homepage until it goes through but that's their prerogative.

However, some of the nitpicking and outright hostility by you and others isn't helpful to prospective students because it's simply disruptive. If they're lying about their USMLE Step 1 pass rate, then please provide us with that information. Similarly, if you think they will shut down in a few years or are lying about other facets of their program, give us some solid evidence to go with it. I'm interested in facts and I would love to see it and so would many others.

Every school started out as a joke, AUA started in a rented building in the far side of Antigua with 40 students and it took them a few years to secure investment from KMC before they really took off. Look at Windsor, they've got a new campus but their clinical rotations and basic sciences are a disaster. AUA for all it's money also has an abysmal clinical program. If this school can work with students and provide them green rotations, then it's smaller size may actually be a strong point. I don't see it nearly as shaky as some of the older schools like St. James.

As for the duplicate posts, VMD is timing out on me so it went through twice.

mrngorickets
03-24-2011, 06:21 AM
hey guys, i am just curious that among AUA,IAU and SJSM (Saint James school of medicine),
which schools are better off to attend/go?
I believe AUA is bigger and more established.
How about IAU vs SJSM?
Please inform me with it
Thanks

KiddhanSaliya
08-15-2011, 06:12 PM
I am currently in IAU; here are some facts as of August 15, 2011:
1) This school is all about competition; you are told by the DEAN (Dr. M) that 1/3 of you will fail 1st semester; if you want to go to a school where you pass based on how social you are and fast you can get the NBME from upper classmen, this is the perfect school to go to (very sad)
2) 2 Professors are leaving which is an average per semester here; Physiology class can be taught better by some students here; Professor can't teach but can read off slides; and also, don't ask to see him during office hours, apparently he's only available 9-5 (during classes)
3) This school is not that whole building (it's just 4 rooms on the top floor)
4) Try the tuna bageutte at the Reef and definitely go to Delirious for the parties in Castries and Tequila Joes for food
5) Go down the street to Spartan, apply, and settle there

Justwannagetthere
08-16-2011, 09:01 AM
WOW look at how unprofessional the "Admissions Director" is on the forum, this is the same arrogance that is echoed throughout the IAU administration. They think they are the shit, and don't care about anybody else......Including STUDENTS!!!

juser250
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I just wanted to drop a line. I was active on Valuemd back a year ago, but have been way to busy the past year. I am in my 4th semester at IAU.
I have seen this school change drastically since my 1st semester one year ago. My 1st semester here there were crazy stories about people cheating and having the NBME exams. I believed this because I heard it was an issue from some of my friends at other schools as well. The school did a good job and failed those that needed to repeat the semester regardless, the next semester they changed the percentage of the mini exams and made them HARD and worth much more of the grade percentage! :) Now the school has taken it to the next step, They have fired all the professors that just weren't cutting it and hired a pretty amazing staff and a new dean that is going to help the school tie up the issues with the NY approval. The school is definitely on it's way up!! Now the NBME exams are worth less then the minis, and "apparently the shelf exams are new. There is talk about the school going to a 5 semester curriculum but that is still not final. If you want to come to IAU, I think it was a good choice for me and the price is perfect! Lastly, The commissioner on the island named, IAU as the best Medical School in St. Lucia, The other schools here are were the IAU fail outs go.

apatite
11-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I just wanted to drop a line. I was active on Valuemd back a year ago, but have been way to busy the past year. I am in my 4th semester at IAU.
I have seen this school change drastically since my 1st semester one year ago. My 1st semester here there were crazy stories about people cheating and having the NBME exams. I believed this because I heard it was an issue from some of my friends at other schools as well. The school did a good job and failed those that needed to repeat the semester regardless, the next semester they changed the percentage of the mini exams and made them HARD and worth much more of the grade percentage! :) Now the school has taken it to the next step, They have fired all the professors that just weren't cutting it and hired a pretty amazing staff and a new dean that is going to help the school tie up the issues with the NY approval. The school is definitely on it's way up!! Now the NBME exams are worth less then the minis, and "apparently the shelf exams are new. There is talk about the school going to a 5 semester curriculum but that is still not final. If you want to come to IAU, I think it was a good choice for me and the price is perfect! Lastly, The commissioner on the island named, IAU as the best Medical School in St. Lucia, The other schools here are were the IAU fail outs go.

Please don't advice people to go to this school. Your opinions are biased because you attend the school.

t.ogirl
08-04-2013, 09:03 PM
No offense but passing the USMLE for any step depends on the student NOT the school. Just my personal experience from going to a Caribbean school.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.