PDA

View Full Version : Australian Universities for Medicine

Catchetat
01-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm an int'l applicant considering AU for medicine undergraduate; which means that I will have to sit that ISAT and IELTS.

Right now, the options available to me are James Cook, Adelaide (not sure what prerequisites they require yet), UNSW, Monash, Bond, Western Australia, Western Sydney, Tasmania.

To those who study at any of the above univerisites, what is it like?

Medicine is a competitive course, but are there any relatively 'safe' universities in AU that offer medicine?

Also, I'd appreciate it if any of you could give me a brief overview of studying undergraduate medicine in AU. I know that a lot of it is mostly PBL based, but other than that, I don't know much about it. I'm still doing research about AU Unis!

Also, how do I apply to the above unis? I heard that as an int'l applicant, I have to apply to the uni. directly... Is that true?

Thanks!

akspar
02-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi Catchetat,

I'm a domestic student so I can't say for sure, but from what I've heard from other people, generally int'l students have to apply directly.

James Cooks is probably the easiest to get into, but the one I would recommend the least, partly because of its program and partly cause it is based in Townsville, but that might not bother you.

A good guide for Australian Medical Schools was published by AMSA in 2007. Since this thing won't let me give you a link for some reason, I'll give you instructions. Go to the AMSA website, select publications and select med school guide.

However, it is best to check out each schools website for specific details. Especially since some are now offering new programs (e.g. MD rather than the traditional MBBS) and thus have different requirements.

Hope that helps a bit.

icecreamcake
02-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Very informative, thank you

dadoc
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
They will make it hell for you to get in.

Catchetat
02-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the help!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.