PDA

View Full Version : Which States accept IUHS graduates?

mansoor45
01-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I decided to email a few states to see where everything stands, if they will licence graduates from IUHS, even if it has online course components, and i will post responses as i receive them, so far i only have one...

GEORGIA-
Good morning. We are currently accepting international medical school graduates if the schools are listed in the WHO Book. This may change soon as we are looking into using the same list as the State of California utilizes. I am not sure about the courses. As far as the residency programs, you will need to contact the program as each program has it owns requirements for the programs. Should you have additional
questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

mansoor45
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
DC response- not clear... if anyone wants to look at the regulation and post what it says, would be appreciated...

Good morning. In regards to residency programs in the District the DC Board of Medicine has no jurisdiction over residency programs each hospital has different requirements. You can contact the various training intuitions throughout the District. You can go to our website dchealth.dc.gov click on professional licensing, professional boards and registration, click on medicine, new medicine application under that you we see the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations chapter 46 look under section 4603. I hope this is helpful.

mansoor45
01-13-2009, 12:35 PM
ONTARIO RESPONSE- Basically saying "YES" without saying yes, they want 36 months of instructions, doesnt specify how the instructions are given...

The first qualification for any class of certificate issued by the College is that the applicant have a degree in medicine from an “accredited” medical school or an “acceptable unaccredited” medical school.

An accredited medical school is one that is located in Canada or the United States, and is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools or by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education in the United States.

An acceptable, unaccredited medical school is one that offers an M.D. or equivalent basic degree in medicine, based upon successful completion of a conventional undergraduate program of education in allopathic medicine, that:
(i)teaches medical principles, knowledge and skills similar to those taught in the undergraduate programs of medical education at accredited medical schools in Canada or the United States of America.
(ii)includes at least 130 weeks of instructions over a minimum of thirty-six months, and
(iii)was, at the time of graduation, listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools published by the World Health Organization.

To access the World Directory of Medical Schools Directory (with final updates through December 2007), please go to world health organization

I am also pleased to provide you with the attached general information about registration, which includes the requirements, for medical practice in Ontario.

I trust this information will be of assistance. After you have reviewed information on our website, please do not hesitate to contact the Inquires Section in the Registration Department at (416) 967-2617, should you have any further questions about registration with the College.

mansoor45
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
IOWA RESPONSE- to actual questions..... ok so basically what its saying is, you can get a residency and clinical rotation in the state, but about licencing, i believe its a no...
which is weird, why allow to do residency and not practice??

1) do you accept online, internet based or distance learning medical education for licensure of international medical graduates?

YES - must have a valid ECFMG in order to qualify for licensure.

2) Do you allow students of these schools to work in your state's hospitals?
NO

3) Do you accept graduates of these programs into your state's graduate medical education (residency or fellowship) programs?

YES-so long as they have obtained a valid ECFMG certificate.

maximillian genossa
01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
So Georgia will go California, a lot of schools will fall into the non-grata list, not only IUHS.

I decided to email a few states to see where everything stands, if they will licence graduates from IUHS, even if it has online course components, and i will post responses as i receive them, so far i only have one...

GEORGIA-
Good morning. We are currently accepting international medical school graduates if the schools are listed in the WHO Book. This may change soon as we are looking into using the same list as the State of California utilizes. I am not sure about the courses. As far as the residency programs, you will need to contact the program as each program has it owns requirements for the programs. Should you have additional
questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

gwmed96
01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
There are several states in which graduates are practicing. I am sure the school can assist on the requests as to where.

'2004 Musto

jonasp
01-13-2009, 06:24 PM
So Georgia will go California, a lot of schools will fall into the non-grata list, not only IUHS.

Someone I know just got off the phone with the state board of Georgia. They are sticking to their policy of just needing schools to be WHO listed. The lady said she has not heard anything to the regard of adopting california's list. These things happen in the blink of an eye though so I wouldn't be surprised if it occurs during one of the numerous board meetings throughout the year. A lot of schools and people will be pissed about this one.I wish I could say people should call and email the state board but that isnt going to do anything since its all rumors as of this point that cannot be confirmed. The catch is once its confirmed there aint a whole lot of things we can do about it then anyway....just plains sucks any way u look at it.

Shiz77
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Georgia is important to the carib schools, it will be very sad if they accept the cali list.

mansoor45
01-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Message from alabama- DO NOT ACCEPT FOR LICENSURE, but individual hospitals can decide residency....

My questions are simple
1) do you accept online, internet based or distance learning medical education for licensure of international medical graduates?
The Alabama State Board of Medical Examiners does not approve internet based or distance learning medical education.

2) Do you allow students of these schools to work in your state's
hospitals?

The Board cannot answer this question because it is left up to
the individual hospitals.

3) Do you accept graduates of these programs into your state's graduate medical education (residency or fellowship) programs?

You need to contact the postgraduate programs direct because the Board does not determine who is accept into a postgraduate program.

DoctorJ
01-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't understand this. It is getting more difficult for IMGs from the Carib to get licensed in the US. Why would people still be interested in online medical education or long distance courses?

jonasp
01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't understand this. It is getting more difficult for IMGs from the Carib to get licensed in the US. Why would people still be interested in online medical education or long distance courses?

This is the reason why states are getting tougher and using california. There are many diploma mill schools out there and its too hard to regulate.The problem is there are highly qualified students from decent carib schools who will suffer as a result.I have no problem with uniformity on this issue I just wish it were done earlier so that a lot of the problems wouldnt exist today.What is goin to happen to current students or graduates from smu aua and mua if everyone adopts california? Its going to be a disaster.Some people went to these schools to practice in their home state and will soon find themselves with nowhere to go.

Shiz77
01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Agreed, too many shi**y schools out there and people looking for a shortcut

Anital
01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
That's true. Carib schools need to regulate their business otherwise all except the "top" 4 will collapse and the poor students will suffer. They need to come up with uniform standards that are acceptable to a state like CA. This will not only be good for their own survival but also for students.

All schools in carib will get students as there will never be a shortage of students looking to become MDs, and each will get good business but if they dont maintain acceptable standards of education then they all will collapse. They just need to get together and do smart business and then all of them plus the students can benefit in the end.

Hello, any carib school admins lurking around here?! Perhaps you all should come together and have a meeting about this issue for your own survival and future viability!! Hire an outside agency not affiliated in anyway with any of the Carib schools to perhaps start the process without bias.

azskeptic
01-18-2009, 11:07 AM
one of the 'poster'children of the online graduates washed out of his residency first year.......i intend to do some research on the results of the online grads who do get through the system and report it here someday.

specialknyc
04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I know people from Ross who have told me they never attended classes (aside from the few that might have been mandatory - I never got into how many that was though). How is another school offering courses online different from Ross ( I realize that ross students may have had to actually go into school to take the exam) ? The students I know sat in their apt's watching lectures online... what difference does it make where in the world you do this from if you don't have to actually be in a school building? (for the record I am against even Ross doing this... but from what I was told they did not have enough space for their students if they all showed up for class).

maximillian genossa
04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Not unheard of, I know students from US schools who have never or barely attended classes as well, furthermore, I know one who worked his way through a US MED SCHOOL while moonlighting as a security guard.

I know people from Ross who have told me they never attended classes (aside from the few that might have been mandatory - I never got into how many that was though). How is another school offering courses online different from Ross ( I realize that ross students may have had to actually go into school to take the exam) ? The students I know sat in their apt's watching lectures online... what difference does it make where in the world you do this from if you don't have to actually be in a school building? (for the record I am against even Ross doing this... but from what I was told they did not have enough space for their students if they all showed up for class).

doctorhoskinson
04-24-2009, 03:19 AM
Avoid this school like the plague. The big four or UMHS at the very least. You simply won't get a residency and even if you do, you'll still get screwed when trying to license.

maximillian genossa
04-24-2009, 08:17 PM
We seem to agree with the big four, I am sure their grads actually doing residency will disagree about your comment on residency, but a certain degree of ignorance is usually expected in these forums.

Cheers!

Avoid this school like the plague. The big four or UMHS at the very least. You simply won't get a residency and even if you do, you'll still get screwed when trying to license.

doctorhoskinson
04-25-2009, 11:46 PM
[We seem to agree with the big four, I am sure their grads actually doing residency will disagree about your comment on residency, but a certain degree of ignorance is usually expected in these forums.

Perhaps I didn't fully express myself. The grads of the big four if they do well, will get a residency and probably will practice as physicians. I'm trying to say that grads from this particular program will not get a residency and will not get a license. if you doubt that statement, then please show me a person from this program who matched and the state of practice.

maximillian genossa
04-26-2009, 06:07 AM
I actually know 4 licensed physicians, and there have been posts here about IUHS residents. The fact that you don't know one, does not mean it has not happen, that will be ignorant to say. Also you do know about a VMD policy in the TOS were we cannot disclose personal information and names about another person without their consent.

Thanks !

Perhaps I didn't fully express myself. The grads of the big four if they do well, will get a residency and probably will practice as physicians. I'm trying to say that grads from this particular program will not get a residency and will not get a license. if you doubt that statement, then please show me a person from this program who matched and the state of practice.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.