PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose Australia?

TriageModerator
11-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Hello Doctors/Future doctors. Why did you choose Australia? What made you feel Australia was the better option, especially over the Caribbean?

baptista
11-28-2008, 03:53 AM
Hi everybody
I am sudanese
I finished my internship in my country
I would like to know chances of surgery and orthopedics residency in australia
the number of years
the possibility of having a permanent residency for my wife
and thank u

Hello Doctors/Future doctors. Why did you choose Australia? What made you feel Australia was the better option, especially over the Caribbean?

GeorgeMD2B
12-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I wanted to practice in Australia and now I will practice as a doctor in Australia. Australian schools do not specifically train you for the USMLEs, so you will need to do a lot of studying on your own. Unlike Caribbean schools, Australian medical schools are legitimate and highly respected institutions of medical education. A few years back two Australians won the Nobel Prize for Medicine. There is also a professor at UQ by the name of Dr. Frazier who has completed some groundbreaking work in cancer vaccines and was even on the news in America. Australian medical schools are designed to train doctors to work in Australia and other British Commonwealth countries. They are also a lot harder to get into than most Caribbean schools and to be competitive you need at least a 30 on your MCAT to be competitive.
Most of the Caribbean schools are in undeveloped islands with poor living conditions. Australia is one of the best places in the world to live, its standard of living is comparable to what you find in the US and Canada, in many ways, I actually think Australia is a much better place to live than either, if you spend some time here and see the kind of lifestyle that this place offers, you will realize why.
The only concern though for those wishing to study in Australia and eventually work here is that the universities have substantially increased student places which means it will be harder to stay in Australia in the near future.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.