PDA

View Full Version : pulmonary ventilation and exercise

Renai
11-05-2008, 05:18 AM
;)
Why does a progressive exercise-induced increase in pulmonary ventilation from resting to maximal levels, predominantly produced by increases in tidal volume and then increase in breathing frequency?

modern day Hero
12-10-2008, 08:43 PM
hmm only thing i can think of is a tidal volume change is mechanically controlled through reflex (forgot name of reflex goljan mentioned) ... and breathing frequency is maintained by plasma gas levels that effects autonomic nervous system ( medulla ) or something like that... lol so i would think a reflex would occur quicker than a gas alteration+medulla response system... damn lol whats the answer ??

y2kbeegees
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
In exercise there is big increase in cardiac output which cozes increase in pulmonary blood flow...and surface area for gas exchange also increase. exercise cozes increase extraction of o2 by muscles and venous co2 increases too. as a result of increase in co2 pulmonary ventilation increase...and breathing frequency increases too.

u can correct me if m wrong
bg :-)

RubberSideDown
05-02-2009, 01:05 AM
;)
Why does a progressive exercise-induced increase in pulmonary ventilation from resting to maximal levels, predominantly produced by increases in tidal volume and then increase in breathing frequency?

Pulmonary or Minute Ventilation (Ve) is defined as the volume of air expired per minute. The formula as follows, Pulmonary Ventilation is the product of Tidal Volume and Breathing Frequency:

Ve (L/min) = Vt ( L/breath) X Fb (breaths/min)....so increase in tidal volume followed by an increase in breathing frequency is to keep up with increase pulmonary ventilation during a progressive excercise.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.