PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned from being in Medical school

pudendum509
10-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I notice that a lot of people are just complaining on this site. I would like to flip things and be smart about what you've learn so far from being in medical school. You can discuss anything from Anatomy, Histology, DPS, Biochemistry, Genetics, physiology..... I was watching this movie last semester I forgot the name of it, but I was so amazed about how much the school has taught me. You can put some medical terms or even some mnemonics as well and show others that you guys are educated physicians. C3,4,5 keeps the diaphragm alive. Maybe you can discuss your lecture and the most important point that you got out of it. I think that's a great way to help each other.

mrpark01
10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
I notice that a lot of people are just complaining on this site.. show others that you guys are educated physicians. C3,4,5 keeps the diaphragm alive. I think that's a great way to help each other.

i don't know that many people will post on this topic.
1. it's extremely broad.. (i got time cause i'm a transfer..)
2. imho, most people do NOT just complain on valuemd...
3. we are NOT physicians yet

but nonetheless, interesting post i guess.
i've only taken histo and neuro at AUA.
so in neuro.. i think it's cool learning how stuff affects our body.
like if you get a lesion at [A] it effects [B] which affects [C].

HinduDoc
10-31-2008, 01:00 AM
#1 Don't trust anybody.... that includes students and professors
#2 Study your *** off and you will do well (as in most situations)
#3 Complain as much as you can (to the right people) because most prof's dont realize how much they suck and are screwing the students over

pudendum509
10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
#1 don't trust anybody.... That includes students and professors

you are so right hindudoc...i am trying to instill that in some people. Don't trust anybody even with food and water.
#2 study your *** off and you will do well (as in most situations)

yeap and you won't have to worry about loans.

#3 complain as much as you can (to the right people) because most prof's dont realize how much they suck and are screwing the students over

i would say communicate your problem...complaining is too immature!

determinedtobedoc
10-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Don't try to find a shortcut and learn your material. Because by trying to find a shortcut you are only cheating yourself.

pudendum509
10-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't try to find a shortcut and learn your material. Because by trying to find a shortcut you are only cheating yourself.

This is a great one!!!! so true.....Hi5 to you "determinedtobedoc"

shayloure
10-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Today, in physiology I learned that watching Pass and Kaplan videos is how I'm going to pass physiology. In pathology I learned boys get ancy when they have to describe stuff like klinefelter's syndrome in front of a whole class.

ltaustin
10-31-2008, 08:07 PM
I learnt that DPS and ICM are more important than biochemistry, neuro, genetics, microbio, histo and anatomy. I wish I had taken DPS more seriously. You can learn as much science as you like, but if you can't communicate effectively with a patient, or ask the right questions to decifer a diagnosis, or conduct a complete physical exam, you wont be a good physician. I believe this is one of the skill that most carib school students are lacking.
My advice to the med 1s.....pay attention in DPS and keep your textbook because you will need in med 4.

KVarner
11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I learned that most medical students are boobs who can neither form a sentence nor convey a thought. The worst part of anatomy lab was having to listen to other students present. I am just soooooo excited about the other classes where students do presentations. 90% of the time the students are worse than the professors.

Perhaps the number one lesson I've learned from AUA is: It is easy to deal with dumb power-hungry idiots (i.e. some security guards a staff). Just say OK when they tell you to do something, and then go about doing whatever it was that you were doing. If they say you're breaking a rule, apologize and tell them you didn't know and that you won't do it again. Then continue breaking the rule and they won't notice or care. It works like a charm!

modern day Hero
11-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I've learned how important it is to be in the right crowd of students that excel in school and share the same academic sentiments as you do.

Agraphia
11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
medschool hell:
-Your social life may suffer some.
-Pelvic exams are TEH SUCK.

-You won’t be a medical student on the surgery service. You’ll be the retractor bith.
-You’ll work with at least one attending physician who you’ll want to beat the pooh pooh out of.
-You’ll work with at least three residents who you’ll want to beat the pooh pooh out of.
-You’ll ask a stranger about the quality of their stools.
-OB/GYN residents are treated like pooh pooh, and that pooh pooh runs downhill. Be ready to pick it up and sleep with it.
-You’ll look forward to the weekend, not so you can relax and have a good time but so you can catch up on studying for the week.
-Your house might go uncleaned for two weeks during an intensive exam block.
-Rumors surrounding members of your class will spread faster than they did in high school.
-There will be one person in your class who’s the coolest, most laid back person you’ve ever met. This guy will sit in the back row and throw paper airplanes during class, and then blow up with 260+ Step I’s after second year.
-Don’t wear your white coat into the gas station, or any other business that has nothing to do with you wearing a white coat. You look like an deuche, and people do make fun of you.
-Going to class is generally a waste of time. Make your own schedule and enjoy the added free time.
-The best time of your entire medical school career is between the times when you first get your acceptance letter and when you start school.
-During the summer before medical school starts, do not attempt to study or read anything remotely related to medicine. Take this time to travel and do things for you.
-Despite what the faculty tell you, you don’t need all of the fancy equipment that they suggest for you to buy. All you need is a stethoscope. The other equipment they say you “need” is standard in all clinic and hospital exam rooms. If it’s not standard, your training hospital and clinics suck.
-that ulcerative colitis is associated with sclerosing cholangitis and ankolysing spondolytis. Shiiiii!
Last, that your mother likes it when I come home and play doctor with her. Hope this helps

CSIMED
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
do what ever you can in undergrad to get into a US school, because I would never ever advise anyone to go to any caribbean school!!!

rahulb
11-04-2008, 03:00 AM
med school is a joke and i probably should have chose a more challenging discipline

shayloure
11-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow. Do you think you'll feel this way after you take USMLE Step 1?

DOC.p
11-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Wow. Do you think you'll feel this way after you take USMLE Step 1?
are you kidding me? i guess you didn't catch rahul's sarcasm in every single post. 4th is kicking his butt right now.

shayloure
11-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Oh, lol. I can't keep with Rahul's post. I'm still trying to figure out how to pass path 1.

rahulb
11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
yea 4th is definitely the toughest yet. its all completely doable but you just have to make sure you're studying the right material and that you extrapolate the relevant info from questions. there is no time to read textbooks anymore; its all about the condensed high yield stuff (rapid review, first aid, question banks, etc). having all the exams on the same day is probably the best thing i'll take from here. you really need to figure out how to cram a wealth of material into your brain in a limited amount of time and apply it to these stupid tertiary questions.

Article 99
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I learnt new study habits. After my 1st semester I realized I didn't know how to study. I learnt how to take better notes and to actually talk to the professors bc what you think is important may not be what is important when it comes time to the exams. OH #1 thing I learnt is how to save $ & time management!

KVarner
11-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I learned that people who wear pink pants are a serious nuisance and that everyone is very happy when the Pink Pantser is not on the island.

M.D.Please_Not.Mrs!!
11-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I learnt new study habits. After my 1st semester I realized I didn't know how to study. I learnt how to take better notes and to actually talk to the professors bc what you think is important may not be what is important when it comes time to the exams. OH #1 thing I learnt is how to save $ & time management!

=) I'm glad I learned that big time in college. I wish we could always go back and do it again...

To modernhero i completly agree on keeping the right crowd, that makes a big difference in motivation, encouragement, incentive, focus ect ect...

Do profs curve in medical school? B/c in college we always had the Bell Curve...in most times I was pushed down a letter grade due to too many people making good grades especially in Lab classes to make it even on easy TAs and hard TAs!

KVarner
11-06-2008, 08:23 PM
They curve, but they don't curve people's grades downward, they curve so that more than 5% of the class passes.

Fornis J. Plebney
11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I learned that if I had the chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't....Oh, and that ICM sucks.

FutureDoc86
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Never want to repeat anything again, I just want to keep going, either way, we'll still be at the same place in the end...a doctor. Instead of thinking about repeating something all over again, use that energy to improve yourself in the now.

Article 99
11-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Never want to repeat anything again, I just want to keep going, either way, we'll still be at the same place in the end...a doctor. Instead of thinking about repeating something all over again, use that energy to improve yourself in the now.

:doh: Excellent advise!!!

FutureDoc86
11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
:doh: thanks

md411
11-09-2008, 04:31 AM
Teaching yourself is better than being taught. I think you learn more and remember the content better.
stresswhenchosingtherightcareer.blogspot.com/

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.