PDA

View Full Version : Windsor vs. AUA

Dhavalp
10-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Thank you.---------

Dhavalp
10-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Just did a search and found a similar thread.

If anyone is interested you can find it here http://www.valuemd.com/american-university-antigua-aua/157445-aua-vs-windsor.html

Tipton
10-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Is Windsor NYS approved?

Shiz77
10-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I would say AUA, simply for the fact that they have NY approval and have just applied for Cali approval, the only school with NY approval to have submitted the paper work for California (neither MUA or SMU has applied).

modern day Hero
10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
from what i have seen..
students that failed out of AUA transfer to windsor and are automatically promoted to a higher semester.

i think that translates to the education at AUA being greater than Windsor.

md12886
10-29-2008, 10:42 PM
what a waste of thread....I thought OP was smart enough to figure it out...I guess age played its role!

NWS
10-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Go to windsor, they need more pre-meds.

siheg
10-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I would say AUA, simply for the fact that they have NY approval and have just applied for Cali approval, the only school with NY approval to have submitted the paper work for California (neither MUA or SMU has applied).

MUA hasn't applied for Cali? I thought otherwise.

Compassion MD
10-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I am currently a Sint Eustatius student.

If its just based on "In terms of obtaining residency, getting licensed, and the clinical rotations which school is better?"

Go to AUA.

If its base on anything else.

Still... AUA

Competitive, shelf exams every term, NY approval which means you can do rotation and residency there. NY is IMG friendly.

siheg
10-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Just talked to someone at the US office, and they said, " I cant disclose if were applying to California or not, because its part of the process." I guess that might be a "maybe."

Tipton
10-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Call Ms. Park in Sacramento. She knows.

Compassion MD
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I would not be surprized if AUA is applying for CA already. They are very serious about their medical school based on what I have seen (interviewed there a year ago at their NY office).

KVarner
10-30-2008, 08:54 AM
AUA has NY approval and Windsor does not. This pretty much automatically makes AUA more desirable than Windsor. I have a lot of friends who have gone to Windsor either because they failed here or it was cheaper. What they tell me is that Windsor provides a much more structured environment. Exams are every week and lecture attendence is mandatory and enforced.

This structured environent may be what a less disciplined student needs. Lots of people like to knock Windsor as inferior, but that is most likely due to their desire to feel like they're better than someone. Yeah, AUA is more desirable. If you can go here and can afford the higher tuition, then go here. If you can't, go to Windsor. No matter where you go they still have to call you Doctor!

Compassion MD
10-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Very true to Sint Eustatius on "attendance mandatory" -> for less disciplined students. Which works very agaist me because English is my second language and I prefer to self-study [vey self-disciplined] by reading books at least 3 times

If you can afford the tution at AUA, go there.

AUA has NY approval and Windsor does not. This pretty much automatically makes AUA more desirable than Windsor. I have a lot of friends who have gone to Windsor either because they failed here or it was cheaper. What they tell me is that Windsor provides a much more structured environment. Exams are every week and lecture attendence is mandatory and enforced.

This structured environent may be what a less disciplined student needs. Lots of people like to knock Windsor as inferior, but that is most likely due to their desire to feel like they're better than someone. Yeah, AUA is more desirable. If you can go here and can afford the higher tuition, then go here. If you can't, go to Windsor. No matter where you go they still have to call you Doctor!

pudendum509
10-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Please don't listen to anybody in here ok...come to AUA~~~ this is the best medical school in the Caribbean. Free 1on1 tutoring, scholarships are available, you have the most prestigious physician professors and they are the only school that prepares you so well to nail your USMLE. If you want to be a successful physician in the US come to AUA.

NWS
10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Call Ms. Park in Sacramento. She knows.

Ugh she's still around?

NWS
10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Please don't listen to anybody in here ok...come to AUA~~~ this is the best medical school in the Caribbean. Free 1on1 tutoring, scholarships are available, you have the most prestigious physician professors and they are the only school that prepares you so well to nail your USMLE. If you want to be a successful physician in the US come to AUA.

Is this viral marketing at work? Even I'm beginning to wonder, that post sounded like an advertisement. Best school in the Caribbean? I think St. George, Ross, Saba and AUC would disagree.

siheg
10-30-2008, 06:40 PM

This sounds borderline backwoods crazy.

dr2004usa
10-30-2008, 07:06 PM
addicted to aua... happens with some in every school !:yeah: :dancepar: :-smiley7 :-jump :dance: :flyaway:

pudendum509
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Is this viral marketing at work? Even I'm beginning to wonder, that post sounded like an advertisement. Best school in the Caribbean? I think St. George, Ross, Saba and AUC would disagree.

I am not trying to do any marketing for AUA. The school is great so I am just letting students know that others are complaining because they expect AUA to pass them. AUA helps you extensively with financial aid and tools to become outstanding physicians. I was just giving my 2 cents.... AUA is # 1 forget aout st george, ross, saba......If you don't come to AUA I can definetely tell you that you are missing on attending the very best out there. Enough said. Take my word or leave it!
PS: leave me alone...I am not working for AUA! I am a good student who studies hard and take the opportunity to be the best future heart surgeon. I am on the Island and I love it. I study hard and party like rockstar!!!! Best place to study Medicine...

FutureDoc86
10-30-2008, 08:11 PM
stop writing about how aua is so great, it isn't. Have you been following up on some recents posts regarding identity and now you're trying to suck up because you have already been identified? I can't think of any other reason why you want to make up bull crap about usmle review classes and 1 on 1 tutoring and AUA being the best and how the staff is so friendly and all the other nonsense I read today. And if you're a person from NY pretending to be a student, at least don't make the imagined poster so naive.

FutureDoc86
10-30-2008, 08:16 PM
and whats the deal with AUA helping us extensively with financial aid? Were you there the first few days when dozens of students were sent home because they didn't have any payments. Since when does a school deny their own students education? what about the lucky few who received an AUA loan, why are they now forced to apply to the other loan company to pay them back? And then theres the 3.0 minimum for this semester in order to be eligible for AUA loan--I don't see how we are being helped extensively?

DOC.p
10-30-2008, 08:29 PM
I am not trying to do any marketing for AUA. The school is great so I am just letting students know that others are complaining because they expect AUA to pass them. AUA helps you extensively with financial aid and tools to become outstanding physicians. I was just giving my 2 cents.... AUA is # 1 forget aout st george, ross, saba......If you don't come to AUA I can definetely tell you that you are missing on attending the very best out there. Enough said. Take my word or leave it!
PS: leave me alone...I am not working for AUA! I am a good student who studies hard and take the opportunity to be the best future hear surgeon.
are you currently a student on the island?

islandthrift
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Please don't listen to anybody in here ok...come to AUA~~~ they are the only school that prepares you so well to nail your USMLE.

I'm pretty sure that SGU and Ross have higher step one pass rates...both in the 90's

pudendum509
10-30-2008, 09:04 PM
stop writing about how aua is so great, it isn't. Have you been following up on some recents posts regarding identity and now you're trying to suck up because you have already been identified? I can't think of any other reason why you want to make up bull crap about usmle review classes and 1 on 1 tutoring and AUA being the best and how the staff is so friendly and all the other nonsense I read today. And if you're a person from NY pretending to be a student, at least don't make the imagined poster so naive.

Sorry if truth hurts...Just because you are failing your classes doesn't make the school bad. Even if you come here and complain about the school, students will still come to AUA because they make their research and they know that this school is only moving forward.

pudendum509
10-30-2008, 09:20 PM
and whats the deal with AUA helping us extensively with financial aid? Were you there the first few days when dozens of students were sent home because they didn't have any payments. Since when does a school deny their own students education? what about the lucky few who received an AUA loan, why are they now forced to apply to the other loan company to pay them back? And then theres the 3.0 minimum for this semester in order to be eligible for AUA loan--I don't see how we are being helped extensively?

How is that bad???? the school is trying to push you guys to stay on point and pass your USMLE. Do you think with a GPA less than 3.0 you are going somewhere? This is not Kindergarten ok! These students are embarrassment to the school when they can't keep up with the average. Bye! bye! failures and Welcome outstanding physicians. We get free transportation and a very nice study place here. You think the other schools give you that opportuniy? Just because you are failing your classes and maybe can't keep up with the average doesn't make AUA a bad school. Like I said again AUA is the best caribbean medical school. My check is in the mail....hahhahahhaha

DOC.p
10-30-2008, 09:25 PM
How is that bad???? the school is trying to push you guys to stay on point and pass your USMLE. Do you think with a GPA less than 3.0 you are going somewhere? This is not Kindergarten ok! These students are embarrassment to the school when they can't keep up with the average. Bye! bye! failures and Welcome outstanding physicians. We get free transportation and a very nice study place here. You think the other schools give you that opportuniy? Just because you are failing your classes and maybe can't keep up with the average doesn't make AUA a bad school. Like I said again AUA is the best caribbean medical school. My check is in the mail....hahhahahhaha
since when is the transportation free? it's comments like this that really make you not look like a student.

pudendum509
10-30-2008, 09:41 PM
since when is the transportation free? it's comments like this that really make you not look like a student.

I meant Shuttle---it's convenient to me as a med 2 student, I just ride with the free shuttle. You just gotta be smart and ask all they have to offer. My people are being destroyed because of their lack of knowledge. Nobody is going to babysit you here. Ask and they will be more than happy to help you, but if you put on your complaining hat on, you only look dumb~~~ Just my 2 cents. Mr Tipton is always here to answer you guys...He is so caring and so are everyone at AUA...Maybe I should retire as well with IRISHDOC :D

islandthrift
10-30-2008, 09:55 PM
The shuttle just goes between the two campuses...I don't really consider that free transportation so much as a necessity since the new campus doesn't have what it should for the students to properly study at right now.

FutureDoc86
10-31-2008, 07:15 AM
No, I am not failing and have never failed anything thank God, but I am concerned because a lot of my close friends were not able to finish their last semester on this rock because they didn't get either loan.

You can talk about your good experience with AUA, great we're all happy for you. But to make up all the crap and the way you write makes it even more implausible. So yes, you should retire.

Being that you're Med2, how do you feel without a water fountain/ water dispenser on your campus. And worse, how do you feel with a big sign saying "NO STUDENTS ALLOWED TO DRINK WATER" over the water dispensers in the office hallway? And don't tell me buy water, i'm poor right now.

pudendum509
10-31-2008, 08:13 AM
FutureDoc86

Maybe they were not suppose to be in medical school to begin with...I don't see the problem with that. I got my loan-You just gotta study hard and pass your classes. All my friends from med 2-med 4 got their loans.

I am not gonna even waste my time on this one.

AWW....sorry you are poor, what you doing in medical school if you are complaining about buying a little bottle of water? I don't drink from water fountains even in the state. Those water bottle are just 3 EC~ 1 USD. Be smart!!! buy a bottle and fill it with water and go to school. Get those big 5 gallons for just 15 EC that's not even 7 USD. I think water fountains are disgusting and full of germs. Who drinks from them anyways. Don't be cheap with yourself.
Why should you drink the office's water..get your own. You only paid for your tuition, you didn't buy the school. Get over it please!

islandthrift
10-31-2008, 08:14 AM
I used to take water form that water fountain despite the sign. One of my friends filled up her water bottle daily from it. When we were yelled at we would say as soon as the water fountain for the students is put in, we will use that one. Another line we used is that our tuition was paying for that water and until a water fountain can be provided for us, we're using that one. You will never get in more trouble other than giving your name to be "written up". I have NEVER heard anything from ANY of the times I was "written up" my entire time in Antigua.

Tipton
10-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Flame off people. I suggest mixing up some TipTing and relaxing.

pudendum509
10-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Flame off people. I suggest mixing up some TipTing and relaxing.

Did I flame Futuredoc86??? I was just giving some advice. Nothing more, nothing less.

1) this is medical school. Study hard and pass so that you can get your loan. I think this is a great motivation.
2) Buy those big bottle of water for just 15 EC~ less than 7 USD
3) stop drinking from the school's office. I think this is degrading.
4) You are in medical school, You should know about germs in water fountains that can kill you or make you sick. I think # 2 would be a great investment even if you were poor or a homeless.
5) I don't see anything on the registration form where it says free water fountain, free etc...Nothing is free in America nor in Antigua. Just get used to that!

islandthrift
10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Did I flame Futuredoc86??? I was just giving some advice. Nothing more, nothing less.

1) this is medical school. Study hard and pass so that you can get your loan. I think this is a great motivation.
2) Buy those big bottle of water for just 15 EC~ less than 7 USD
3) stop drinking from the school's office. I think this is degrading.
4) You are in medical school, You should know about germs in water fountains that can kill you or make you sick. I think # 2 would be a great investment even if you were poor or a homeless.
5) I don't see anything on the registration form where it says free water fountain, free etc...Nothing is free in America nor in Antigua. Just get used to that!

What are you talking about with germs? They use the same $15 EC water bottles as the ones your suggesting students buy. Do you believe the ones the school buys are infested but the ones students buy by the same company aren't? Do you even go to AUA? Are you even a med student?

pudendum509
10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
What are you talking about with germs? They use the same $15 EC water bottles as the ones your suggesting students buy. Do you believe the ones the school buys are infested but the ones students buy by the same company aren't? Do you even go to AUA? Are you even a med student?

Do you even go to AUA?? Just because I am satisfied with AUA doesn't qualify me as not being a student :roll:. They are just my advice, someone can take it or leave it. I was not referring to the fountains in the office, but do you know how often they clean their water fountains---maybe never. That's what makes you sick! I was referring to the one's in metal that everybody puts their mouth on...that's what Futuredoc86 was referring to as well. I always carry my water because I don't trust anybody. Am I even a medical student...you joking right???

windsorMD
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
we don't argue over water at windsor.
looks like this NY-pseudocali-approved school can't give water to their $10k/semester tuition paying students LOL....i suggest don't listen to anyone's advice on the island, go visit both Antigua and St Kitts...and then make a decision.

islandthrift
10-31-2008, 09:22 AM
we don't argue over water at windsor.
looks like this NY-pseudocali-approved school can't give water to their $10k/semester tuition paying students LOL

They can't and it's sad!

FutureDoc86
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Me buying a water bottle everyday for a week (5 x $3 = 15)
For a month ($15 x 4 = $60)
For a semester ( $60 x 4 = $240)
200 students doing the same thing ($240 x 200 = $48,000)

If the school does what it should
Machine costs $500EC or so
$15 x lets say 10 bottles a week = $150 EC
For a month = ($150 x 4 = $600 EC)
For a semester ($600 EC x 4= $2,400 EC = about $900 US dollars, roughly 9% of just one students' tuition payment)

DOC.p
10-31-2008, 05:22 PM
For a month ($15 x 4 = $60)
For a semester ( $60 x 4 = $240)

For a semester ($600 EC x 4= $2,400 EC = about $900 US dollars, roughly 9% of just one students' tuition payment)
they used to have a water jug in the student lounge my first semester. i used to go in there and fill up my epi water bottles (a lot of students did this). that's probably why they took it away after that semester.

pudendum509
10-31-2008, 05:46 PM
For a month ($15 x 4 = $60) Unless you drink water like a camel that big 5 gallons could last you for a month. That's how I do it! Like I said again there are too many diseases out there, eat and drink your own stuff.
For a semester ( $60 x 4 = $240) 240 EC for a whole semester is not bad at all...that's approximately 80 bucks. Would you rather get sick? who drinks those unpurified fountain water...It's pretty nasty and you can get diarrhea.

I don't think 200 students need water from those fountains. They have those water fountains at the old campus and I barely see students drinking from them. The new campus is under construction, I am sure AUA cares about your safety or unless you wanna drink salty water from the ocean... Go for it!

windsorMD is suggesting you to go to Windsor for some free fountain water---maybe you should consider that. The school has bigger and better plans for your future. Sorry you are going through all that, sometimes you have to be grateful for what you have.

pudendum509
10-31-2008, 05:55 PM
they used to have a water jug in the student lounge my first semester. i used to go in there and fill up my epi water bottles (a lot of students did this). that's probably why they took it away after that semester.

lol...now futuredoc86 you know who you need to go after.

shayloure
10-31-2008, 06:22 PM
I believe AUA is a good school. I'm a med 3 student without a loan (and believe me I need it, because my family falls into the lower middle class bracket, and not McCain's version of middle class) and I can still say AUA is a good school. Given, LP in financial aid told me straight up, "having a 3.0 does not guarantee the AUA loan." But I can understand why the school would call themselves making that a requirement. AUA is NY approved and I'm not for sure if Windsor is but if Windsor isn't, that already puts AUA above it. When I say AUA is a good school, I mean I feel more than half of my teachers have or are preparing me well for the USMLE. Yeah some teachers don't prepare you at all for the shelf (i.e. biochemistry) and some teachers tell you what you need to know (i.e. both Dr. S's in anatomy and histology). And getting enough knowledge to pass the USMLE or at least know what the heck they're talking about in a kaplan or whatever review course is what your aim should be when you come down to a caribbean school. Yeah the administration is disorganized. But that's cause the school is 4 years old. And you have to remember that the main office is in NY and the school is in Antigua so those people don't have interactions with the current students so they may not be as charming and loving and caring as your undergraduate administration was. But you're not here for that. You're just here to get an education. For the people that work down here on the island, honestly, I think they all are cool except for WH in registration, but she has her days. And she's trying to be nicer since she sees all of the students like PR more. But once again, if you stay focus and don't let the school bother you, you can come here and if not do well, at least pass and get your M.D. from what I've seen. When you come here, you have to look at the big picture and remember why you've chosen to come here and why you may not be in an American medical school. As far as how credible and good of a school Windsor is, I can't say because I don't know. I do know one of my friends who started here in Jan. with me but she was a pre med 1, failed out of here after 2 semesters and some how is a med 1 at Windsor. That right there would make me leary of Windsor. People who have failed out here in some classes end up there and are promoted to higher semester as I believe another poster has mentioned. That's another thing that would make me leary of Windsor, but hey that's just me. So to the original poster, if you can afford to, then visit both schools and see which one is better for you. But most of all, call the state medical board of the state you want to practice in and see which school is approved or on a case by case basis.

modern day Hero
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
AUA is a good school.
but i wouldn't go as far as recommending it over StGeorge, Ross, AUC.

GQDoc786
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Please let me know if Windsor is a good alternative if not able to get a seat in AUA. Is it easy to transfer into AUA afterwards?

wildroc18
12-01-2008, 04:18 AM
everyone that flunks out of AUA goes to windsor..

eveyrone that flunks out of ross goes to AUA and then says that AUA prepares them better for the shelves....

strange thought that AUA is like SGU was 35 years ago.. and can possible have just as competitive applicants if they get the business side of their affairs in order....and have a steady demand of students wanting to enroll....

wildroc18
12-01-2008, 04:21 AM
o yea and im not worried about the water on campus even if it is from an outdoor fountain... if you got diarrhea it wasn't from that but from that crap food they sell at paps... your asking for it if you eat there... MSG hello!

Tipton
12-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Please let me know if Windsor is a good alternative if not able to get a seat in AUA. Is it easy to transfer into AUA afterwards?

You should NEVER attend one school with the assumption that you can transfer to another unless of course these two schools have an articulation/transfer agreement similiar to what you would find in the US with a local community college and state university system.

Windsor students wil have an extremely difficult time transferring to AUA unless/until Windsor is NY approved. The best odds of transferring for any student is after passing USMLE Step 1.

lswiltshire
12-01-2008, 09:21 AM
One does not transfer from Windsor to AUA

One transfers from AUA to Windsor after failing repeatedly.

Then somehow Windsor can clean up your F grades with C on repeating to A's.

Whereas I do not know what chemical process Windsor uses to do this, I can honestly tell you that I have seen such Windsor produced transcripts.

GQDoc786
12-01-2008, 09:27 PM
How competitive is it to get into Windsor University? Without the MCAT ?

eskimo2008
12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
How competitive is it to get into Windsor University? Without the MCAT ?

Why not ask this question at the Windsor forum ? Just a thought !

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.