PDA

View Full Version : New Campus problems?

mokstar
10-27-2008, 07:16 AM
From the Antigua Sun:

Construction on the US$25 million expansion project at the American University of Antigua (AUA) at Jabberwock has halted.

When contacted by the Antigua Sun, managing director for contractors Leeward Construction, Andy Green, confirmed that management took the decision to suspend work and that workers had been called off the site last Wednesday afternoon.

The reasons, Green said, are essentially contractual and he expressed concern for some 150 workers who have been sent home, uncertain of when work on the project will recommence.

“They may be back at work in 10 days, or it might be two weeks. Unfortunately, they will have lost pay for the period,” Green said, adding, “The whole thing just seems so unnecessary really.”

Green further stated that talks with AUA were ongoing. He was hopeful that a board meeting yesterday would lead to a resolution of the issues shortly. He does not, however, expect to see workers back on site before next week.

Project manager for Leeward Construction, Neil Dickenson said both parties were working hard at reaching a resolution but he also felt it was unlikely that workers would return soon.

He shot down criticism that Phase 1 work on the 110,800-square foot campus had fallen behind schedule. “Far from being behind schedule as far as the construction programme is concerned, we are, at worst on time.”

Following the board meeting, Lt. Colonel Anthony, project manager for AUA told the SUN, “Most of the issues have been resolved. It was a very unfortunate thing that happened.” He said it occurred because too hasty an action was taken.

Anthony said he was unsure when workers would be back on site. “We are mustering up resources quickly so we could see them back to work tomorrow. I don’t see any major cause to keep the work at the site on hold.”

Neither Dr. Peter Bell, vice president of Academic Affairs and dean of AUA nor President of AUA **** S. ***** was available for comment at the time of going to press.

siheg
10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Great. Further delay in an already delayed project. Has anyone contacted AUA about this?

CSIMED
10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
The new campus, will not be ready for another 5 years!!! At least not with the current administration.

Cyberia
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
The "hard copy" of the antiguasun says that AUA owes the construction company as much as 5 million dollars...

SemTuv
10-27-2008, 03:41 PM
The "hard copy" of the antiguasun says that AUA owes the construction company as much as 5 million dollars...

EC or US ?

Cyberia
10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
EC or US ?
US I dont have anything else to say..but in order to post..i have to have 10 characters..lol..

irishdoc2005
10-27-2008, 05:04 PM

Tipton
10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Wow! In 7 posts we went from a contractual/labor dispute to students failing and the school closing. It never hurts to be pessimistic.

DOC.p
10-27-2008, 05:29 PM
that article is vague, so what's really going on...what was the issue? not like it really matters, what's a few days or weeks lost...it's still a long project and not going to be finished anytime soon.

NWS
10-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Come to think of it, I didn't see many construction workers on site today. From what I saw though, Leeward messed up on a building and had to basically tear it down and start over. Maybe AUA just got impatient with the waste of money and time? Honestly, if it wasn't for these Antiguan laws requiring foreign organizations to hire locals, the new campus would've been done a LONG time ago if we'd imported some Mexicans to do the job.

NWS
10-27-2008, 05:43 PM
What else is new? This is typcal AUA once again. Im going to go out on a limb and say there will be quite a few more failing students this semester, and the loan situation will open up a little more so the school can get more money. Either that or I can see a lot of students wanting to be re-emburshed for their money when the school shuts down.

Stop complaining and go study.

shayloure
10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Come to think of it, I didn't see many construction workers on site today. From what I saw though, Leeward messed up on a building and had to basically tear it down and start over. Maybe AUA just got impatient with the waste of money and time? Honestly, if it wasn't for these Antiguan laws requiring foreign organizations to hire locals, the new campus would've been done a LONG time ago if we'd imported some Mexicans to do the job.

I don't feel guilty saying this because I'm a minority, but this is sooo true.

irishdoc2005
10-27-2008, 07:13 PM

jp9094
10-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Sorry to disagree, but it was the "Observer" that quoted the sum of $5 Million, not the "sun".

That is why I purchased the "Sun" this morning and not the "Observer" ;-)

FWIW!!

TireTrauma
10-27-2008, 09:36 PM
WHat is the point of this thread for real? Construction delays happen daily in the US, what is the big deal seriously??!!

HinduDoc
10-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Wow! In 7 posts we went from a contractual/labor dispute to students failing and the school closing. It never hurts to be pessimistic.

what a surprise that AUA wants to screw its students and not tell us anything about it.....

i could have told u over 8 months ago that the campus was behind schedule, but u know what, lets not bring that up

AUA does have a lot of potential but until then its all about the $$$.... don't think that you will be benefited by this "new campus" any time soon

Tipton
10-28-2008, 07:06 AM
LOLOL...and now we're trying to ummm do something inappropriate to students.

I'm sorry but this is just too funny...or maybe not(?)...

Where is all this ill feeling coming from?

Bemtley
10-28-2008, 09:46 AM
May be anatomy class of last year has to do some thing ?????:roll: just lightening the mood . don't come after me :):-smiley7:outtahere:

Tipton
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
I haven't "come after" anyone yet. Not quite sure how I could without being banned by VMD anywho. My curiosity into student concerns has resulted in positive results in the past. So let me know if I can help.

DOC.p
10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
what a surprise that AUA wants to screw its students and not tell us anything about it.....

since when has the school notified you or the students about their architectural or construction plans and progress? i really don't see the big deal in this. it's not like any of you on the island right now will be there when the new campus is completely finished.

NWS is right, you guys need to go and study and stop trying to take every little negative thing out of context and personalizing it.

mokstar
10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
From the Antigua Sun

AUA CEO to intervene in dispute
Tuesday October 28 2008

by Deborah Browne Wills

Chief Exeuctive Officer of American Unviersity of Antigua (AUA), Neil Covey Greenberg has been called in from New York to help bring an end to the dispute with contractors.

Work on the university’s new site came to a standstill last Wednesday when 150 workers were sent home.

Managing Director of Leeward Construction Andy Green told the Antigua Sun yesterday that Greenberg is to attend a meeting with AUA officials this afternoon.

“Until we have this meeting, there is essentially no development,” he said.

Asked about his anticipation of construction on the site resuming within days, Lt. Colonel Anthony, project manager for AUA said yesterday, “Our interest is to see that things move along in the right direction.”

Construction on the US$25 million expansion project at the American University of Antigua (AUA) at Jabberwock halted and 150 workers were sent home for reasons Green told the SUN were contractual.

A statement was expected from AUA yesterday but that never happened.

Dr. Peter Bell, vice president of Academic Affairs and dean of AUA and President of AUA **** S. ***** were not available for comment.

The AUA campus of 110,800 square feet will include buildings for classrooms, a 300 seat auditorium, main library, three labs, a student union, administration and faculty facilities, and The Center for Tropical Diseases.

The design of the campus buildings will create green spaces for study as well as other recreational activities.

The campus will have a main entrance and be gated for secure comings and goings. There are also accommodations for a separate and gated area next to the campus.

The shared facilities, encompassing 55,700 square feet, will include athletic fields, student parking, faculty parking, a community market place, the campus/community auditorium and recreation area for the university, the community and local vendors

modern day Hero
10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
The campus will have a main entrance and be gated for secure comings and goings. There are also accommodations for a separate and gated area next to the campus.

The shared facilities, encompassing 55,700 square feet, will include athletic fields, student parking, faculty parking, a community market place, the campus/community auditorium and recreation area for the university, the community and local vendors

that sounds exciting. I've also gotta commend AUA's business move to create a community marketplace and housing in order to take profit away from privately owned "school" housings. this should raise the funds available considerably for AUA in the next 5 years. I'd like to see AUA create its' own loan bank and offer student loans directly from itself. I'm not quite sure how feasible that is but it'd solve a lot of the student loan problems and the loan-interest would be profitable to AUA.

KVarner
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't know why people are surprised about the construction shutdown. This sort of thing happens all the time.

If you actually thought the campus was going to be constructed on time, please PM me, because I have some great investment opportunities for you that are 100% sure to double your money in ten days.

This is Antigua, ladies and gentlemen. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING gets done correctly or on time. Don't expect it, and you won't be disappointed.

That being said, I'm sure that the workers were happy to be sent home. AUA is a non-smoking campus, so they had to be miserable going a whole day without their ganja.

kiddieMD
10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I never expected it to be finished on time. This happens all the time in the states. They state something will be finished by Sept 2007 but it does not get completed for another 6 months. As long as the school is making advances and there is a possible financial aid options, great clinical rotations, and options for 5th semester I will be fine.

gaspass
10-29-2008, 10:38 PM
More money wasted on construction leaves less capital and resources to dedicate to clinicals, staff, and core operations. Those brushing this off as non-issue are being quite ignorant of the damage this delay could cause. When you run over budget, that money has to come from somewhere. Wonder where that might be? :rolleyes:

School is already spending more money than it needs to, repairing damages on the old campus.

KVarner
10-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I didn't know that they have been repairing damages to the old campus. I see no evidence of it anywhere....

dr2004usa
10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
:twisted::-happy:spambuster::spambuster: (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Services/Education/Manipal_likely_to_take_reins_at_Antigua_varsity/articleshow/3567868.cms)

pudendum509
10-30-2008, 10:08 PM
How is that a problem? Just focus on your studies and don't waste your time on these information which will not do anything at all for you. Did you come to AUA for the new campus or to get an education to become a great physician? You are putting a whole lot of garbage in your mind that will not benefit you at all toward achieving your goal. I personally didn't come here for the new buildings, that won't help me be successful in life so I can care less about that. Use your time wisely my friend and follow your dream. Drama is not the key to success in medical school. What have you learned in class today? Let us know... "I would say nothing because you were just digging unimportant information"

shayloure
10-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Well I can see how someone would be concerned about why construction has stopped. I mean after all, isn't that the reason they raised the cost of tuition from $9100 to $9500 in the past year?

modern day Hero
11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
How is that a problem? Just focus on your studies and don't waste your time on these information which will not do anything at all for you. Did you come to AUA for the new campus or to get an education to become a great physician? You are putting a whole lot of garbage in your mind that will not benefit you at all toward achieving your goal. I personally didn't come here for the new buildings, that won't help me be successful in life so I can care less about that. Use your time wisely my friend and follow your dream. Drama is not the key to success in medical school. What have you learned in class today? Let us know... "I would say nothing because you were just digging unimportant information"

you do realize this is a forum and we're open to talk about anything AUA related.
if we talk about something non-medical it doesn't mean we're "ignoring" our studies. lol, calm down.

Asiddi22
03-26-2009, 04:07 AM
man, at least they're doing something.. and have progressed rather than no progress

Fractals
03-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Curious...how close is AUA to finishing the new campus?

Cyberia
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Curious...how close is AUA to finishing the new campus?
The buildings are flying up..but the "real" work is inside them. I think that will take a while. I'm guessing at least a year..but of course since it's Antigua..no one really knows. It took 2 years after the new hospital was built to open it..it was finished..the gov't just didn't feel like opening it. So students might still be on the nasty west campus for years to come looking at a finished "new campus"..who knows..:)

NWS
03-27-2009, 09:36 PM
The buildings are flying up..but the "real" work is inside them. I think that will take a while. I'm guessing at least a year..but of course since it's Antigua..no one really knows. It took 2 years after the new hospital was built to open it..it was finished..the gov't just didn't feel like opening it. So students might still be on the nasty west campus for years to come looking at a finished "new campus"..who knows..:)

They will definitely start occupying the new buildings pretty quick. They'll do what they did with the current new ones, stick students in there and continue construction around them.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.